British Speedway Forum
hyderd

National Speedway Stadium Opening Tickets Now On Sale

Doc Bridgett apparently did come down, 3 times, even telling Edinburgh fans to contact him before setting off such were his doubts about the meeting going ahead. Still, they were just unlucky eh...

I can't believe what I am reading! Having read various other threads, and I'm sure that there are others better informed than myself, but was the meeting cancelled due to poor track preparation? If so what a complete farce and yet another example why speedway is in the state that it is. What should have been a showpiece event (presumably with all the media present) ends up with the sport, again, shooting itself in the foot!

I await with more informed comments hoping that my comments are an over reaction to events in Manchester.

Edited by steve roberts

It was a great pity what happened yesterday and I am sure that no one feels worse than Chris Morton ,I have seen him grow from the Ellesmere Port team of the early 70's into one of the greatest riders this country has ever produced .Upon retirement he has set out to create one of the best tracks this country has ever seen ,he has achieved that and what happened yesterday a tragic to say the least. I am not a track expert or rider and we have to accept that racing was unable to take place but I repeat what a fantastic venue for speedway and I will return in the future .

I can't believe what I am reading! Having read various other threads, and I'm sure that there are others better informed than myself, but was the meeting cancelled due to poor track preparation? If so what a complete farce and yet another example why speedway is in the state that it is. What should have been a showpiece event (presumably with all the media present) ends up with the sport, again, shooting itself in the foot!

I await with more informed comments hoping that my comments are an over reaction to events in Manchester.

Imo I think time was against them and they did their best to get it on sadly it backfired big style

• Like 1

Sorry, this has to be down to the management, they must have known on Friday that the track wasn't fit to race on. Myself and many other fans have travelled from all over the country to see the opening meeting and with complete disregard for this, Belle Vue management have adopted an 'It'll be alright on the night' attitude and havepresided over a complete farce in a half completed stadium (the car parks for season ticket holders were full of portakabins instead of cars, the ladies toilets on the south side had no water or toilet paper) The track was a joke and the south terracing looks like it was constructed out of Meccano and linoleum offcuts. So, a weekend wasted and fuel, hotel and food expenses for nothing! Thank you to the management team for the grandfather of all foul ups! I will not return. Even the Belle Vue supporters around us were embarrassed. I feel sorry for the fans from Edinburgh and Poole in particular.

• Like 1

I can only presume the only thing left for any 'green eyed monsters' to criticise is the sun might be too bright!!!

can think of a few more things now!!

• Like 1

can think of a few more things now!!

I blame the eu

• Like 3

what about the poor mini bus full of supporters from Plymouth

Was that a b-side of a Smiths single? Or maybe half man half biscuit?

Edited by iris123

what about the poor mini bus full of supporters from Plymouth

theyl be used to disappointment!

Was that a b-side of a Smiths single? Or maybe half man half biscuit?

Sounds like a mike leigh film!

• Like 1

I can't believe what I'm reading (again). The Bees website has announced that the National League meeting at Belle Vue on Saturday has already been postponed due to the ongoing track repair.

What are they doing? Maybe it's been said before, but don't they lay a track and run a GP in Cardiff every year in a week? Get someone who knows what they are about and fix this. This is a national disaster for an already niche sport. This can only adversely affect the view of sponsors, TV companies and the paying public.

• Like 2

I can't believe what I'm reading (again). The Bees website has announced that the National League meeting at Belle Vue on Saturday has already been postponed due to the ongoing track repair.

What are they doing? Maybe it's been said before, but don't they lay a track and run a GP in Cardiff every year in a week? Get someone who knows what they are about and fix this. This is a national disaster for an already niche sport. This can only adversely affect the view of sponsors, TV companies and the paying public.

I take your point( I was threre on the day as it were) but they lay a track indoors at Cardiff which is not effected directly by the weather as the N Staduim appears to have been,I believe that curing boggy land as this problem is can be quite difficult rectify.

Put a canopy over the area that needs remedial work. On a multi million pound project, you cant let the weather dictate how long it takes.

• Like 1

I take your point( I was threre on the day as it were) but they lay a track indoors at Cardiff which is not effected directly by the weather as the N Staduim appears to have been,I believe that curing boggy land as this problem is can be quite difficult rectify.

Quite agree. Cardiff of course has a permanent concrete base, so it is stable and only needs the shale packed down and watering. Belle Vue is totally different and they seem to have problems with the wet base material that will be their permanent base. This really is the only, and the right time, to get it right and insist on the contractors delivering what they should have in the first case.