British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Swc Match 1 Gniezno Poland Saturday June 6th

Some decent racing, and well done to the Swedes on their win, but the SWC rules need looking at so we don't get one team having such a handicap.

• Like 5

Wonder if Mr & Mrs Tatum could claim a refund of those wasted Public School fees? Especially the maths lessons.

I remember Tomasz Gollob 'team riding' lesser nations round.

That must have blown Kelvins mind!

• Like 1

How can it be fair that an innocently injured rider cannot be replaced. Especially when the team that benefits is the one containing the rider who caused the accident (although the referee was clearly blind). Total farce!

Was the reserve rider removed because of a team 'using' the rules for a joker ride a few years ago? I seem to think both Aussies and Poles did it (I may be wrong). Can anyone clarify?

They just need to ditch the joker and allow a reserve rider take up to four rides.

Was the reserve rider removed because of a team 'using' the rules for a joker ride a few years ago? I seem to think both Aussies and Poles did it (I may be wrong). Can anyone clarify?

They just need to ditch the joker and allow a reserve rider take up to four rides.

Poland got a rider to pretend he was sick ..you should have reserves but they should only be allowed to take two rides in the meeting for a injured or just because of tactics . It would stop teams pulling a fast one but not cause maximum hurt to team who lose a rider because of injury like tonight .

There was some hassle when Poland replaced Walasek in a final as claimed ill or hurt after he hadn't scored in the final at Leszno a few years ago and I think this led to the change in the rules on reserves.

The change to 4 riders from 5 was either costs or to make it more competitive depending on what you believe

I believe so.

A better rule for me would be each team having four riders with five programmed rides each and then one "wild" rider who can take any five rides throughout the meeting.

This allows for injuries, but also introduces a bit of team management into the mix.

• Like 1

Whoever makes these rules ??? A World Team Competition, The Top riders in the world, A Full House of fans, Television there to project the event to the world ,

AND. AND we have to watch 5 races with only three riders... Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.......... Its that unreal,. you couldn't make it up....

Thinking back, 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago, we always had reserves in as cover in these events.

I've always thought the JOKERS are ridiculous, but Reserve Rider cover is essential.... as tonight proved....

• Like 7

No idea why they're being used in UK. All the joker rule brings is even more randomisation. I fail to see any benefit coming from that. Can You enlighten me about UK's federation explanation of its introduction?

It saved money in the UK. It gets a team 3 extra points but the club don't have to pay the riders any extra money.

No idea why they're being used in UK. All the joker rule brings is even more randomisation. I fail to see any benefit coming from that. Can You enlighten me about UK's federation explanation of its introduction?

The BSPA normally ask themselves 'what is a stupid and farcical idea for British Speedway?' then they implement it!

The BSPA normally ask themselves 'what is a stupid and farcical idea for British Speedway?' then they implement it!

It's not only the UK. Denmark and Germany use it as well.

If your crowds were down to 2000/3000 Poland may have to take some cost cutting measures. At the moment you are flying high but who knows what the future holds .....

How can it be fair that an innocently injured rider cannot be replaced. Especially when the team that benefits is the one containing the rider who caused the accident (although the referee was clearly blind). Total farce!

Madness isn't it.

How can you have a world competition like the Speedway World Cup which is shown all over Europe on live television and not afford to pay for reserves for the teams. Correct that, there were reserves there but were not allowed to ride. Where is the money going for a three hour live programme. . The "Joker " idea should be chucked out immiediately. The riders are being paid a pittance for their skills . The time must come that money from TV and attendances should go back into Speedway., No wonder there is a shortage of riders. Even Sweden is now suffering from a drop,.they are even swopping their nationalities. For youngsters it's not just worth it with the expenses and such poor returns. You can earn more on a game show in an hour than all the riders would have done tonight.

Hopefully Hampel's injury will bring reserves back into SWC. Just let them have max 3 (or 4) rides and it will not be used for any 'dirty' tactics.

• Like 2