British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Islanders Fans Forum This Thursday...

Followers of our sport who either live on the Isle of Wight or mainland areas within easy reach of it, are being urged to attend Thursday's (May 21) Fans Forum at the Ryde Superbowl which is scheduled to start at 7pm. It will firstly update everyone on what Barry Bishop and Martin Widman, the duo behind the bid to bring speedway back to Smallbrook stadium on the island, have achieved so far, and will be followed by an outline of plans for the rest of this year and into 2016 including a 'speedway school' as well as an update on the sponsorship situation from various organisations around the world and the revealing of a first offer of sponsorship from a firm based on the Isle of Wight itself. It is hoped too that there will be a video link or phone link to one or more of the international sponsors so that they can introduce themselves to the fans.

All this will be followed by an overview of plans for finding and developing new young riders from the Island, ideas on how speedway will support Island life and the opportunity for fans to state their own views and quiz the duo. With so much planned for the evening, that'll be hosted by DJ Chris Popple, it sounds like an event not to be missed. I'm going!
Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Best of luck to everybody involved in this. IOW is a stadium that I have never visited in my 40 odd years off following speedway but one that I have always promised myself that I will.

fingers crossed for you all on the island, I always loved my trips on the ferry. can't wait to come over on the Eastbourne special

next year. please keep to a Tuesday night .

sooooo, what's the news ?

In short: presentation was superb with lots of people there. To return to NL in 2016, SBS EPOS as main team sponsors, Thursday as the new race night, to run 6 meetings this year and possible PL return in 2017/2018.

• Like 5

In short: presentation was superb with lots of people there. To return to NL in 2016, SBS EPOS as main team sponsors, Thursday as the new race night, to run 6 meetings this year and possible PL return in 2017/2018.

excellent news - always loved my trips to the IOW

Fantastic :approve:

Awesome i shall be booking that thursday off and travelling to support the eagles!

Thats great news. Shame its a Thursday as would be easier to travel on a weekend but I will try to make it next year when the Eagles visit

Edited by stevec

Thats great news. Shame its a Thursday as would be easier to travel on a weekend but I will try to make it next year when the Eagles visit

Currently the planning permission doesn't allow speedway to run on a weekend. Hopefully an application will be submitted to the IOW Council to extend the "opening hours".

Weekend meetings would not work as ferry bookings would be harder to get and be far more expensive.

ok, i'm pleased this is good news but............

1. what on earth is the break even crowd figure going to be for a) NL and B) PL?

2. how much is the ferry fare going to be for a) riders and B) mainland spectators?

3. will meetings run with the return ferry in mind a) transport B) so we can alwsys see the whole meeting?

I'd hate this exercise to result in false hope for all concerned, but when looking at crowds when I was there before it closed I estimate that on occasions it was only just into 3 figures..

If they pull this off I will be as knocked out as I was when visiting Ashfield last week.

damn good luck to you guys

• Like 1

Good news as I always enjoyed my visits when on holiday no matter who the opposition was.

When will the six 2015 fixtures/dates be announced as I am on the Island the last two weeks in August?

Weekend meetings would not work as ferry bookings would be harder to get and be far more expensive.

Speedway on the Island pretty much swings on sponsorship from the ferry companies and free crossings for those competing. While ferries on Tuesday afternoons even in the summer are never full, at the weekend (certainly Friday or Saturday)it is completely different.

Brilliant news, anyway. Personally speaking, Thursdays are much better for me.

brilliant news for speedway , crap news for me, still got nowhere to go on a Tuesday. :sad: