Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

We need more competition, Gm, Gerhard,Goddens,Jrm etc

For engine longevity all that needs to happen is a rev limit on the engines.

It's the riders choice of how much money he wants to spend, Some spend wisely and within their means and then there is those that listen to bull and waste their money.

Well i beg to differ .speedway parts are a closed shop . in 1987 I went to omega for a piston list price for the piston was £41 . they were sierra cosworth pistons that went onto godden engines , I got questioned why i only wanted 1 piston . and foolishly told them it for for a speedway bike ,, immediately got told , we cant sell you one because we have a deal with Godden not to sell for speedway use .. price from Godden £94

Well i beg to differ .speedway parts are a closed shop . in 1987 I went to omega for a piston list price for the piston was £41 . they were sierra cosworth pistons that went onto godden engines , I got questioned why i only wanted 1 piston . and foolishly told them it for for a speedway bike ,, immediately got told , we cant sell you one because we have a deal with Godden not to sell for speedway use .. price from Godden £94

You would have loved to work where I used to work, closed a long time ago. It was an aluminum foundry. We used to get box loads of coswoth parts that had only been tested in the factory. They would test a batch and the scrap them wit the remainder of that batch. We had pistons and rings still in the wrappers and boxes un used timing chains full engines and turbo's, plus every nut bolt and washer. It just shows that companies with a huge capital turn over can be so wastefull, when we the general public struggle to make ends meet at times.

If they were £94.00 in 1987, how much are they now? Spares are expensive and far and away inflated. Recently, a friend of mine forgot to put oil in her Briggs and Stratton mower engine.....broken conrod. New conrod £45.00, new engine, £79.00!

If they were £94.00 in 1987, how much are they now? Spares are expensive and far and away inflated. Recently, a friend of mine forgot to put oil in her Briggs and Stratton mower engine.....broken conrod. New conrod £45.00, new engine, £79.00!

I think a piston now is just short of £200 . 2 piston rings £50 . replacement big end bearing £100 , if you include pressing and balance 200 . Nicasil relining of barrel £450 Conrod £250. valves £40 each , Valve springs £20 each

I think a piston now is just short of £200 . 2 piston rings £50 . replacement big end bearing £100 , if you include pressing and balance 200 . Nicasil relining of barrel £450 Conrod £250. valves £40 each , Valve springs £20 each

I have no idea what the costs are these days, but on that basis Speedibee, how does a promoter pay his riders and run a track, with the number of paying punters through the turnstiles? I watched the back end of a meeting last night on TV, from Sweden. There was hardly anyone in the stadium, yet, it was a high level meeting!

I think one of the limiting factors they apply to the motors is limiting the carb size to 34mm....whats the policy re the use of titanium in the motors they were allowing it ....but not many wanted it....made me think a GP engine will soon be alot different to a league one.

I have no idea what the costs are these days, but on that basis Speedibee, how does a promoter pay his riders and run a track, with the number of paying punters through the turnstiles? I watched the back end of a meeting last night on TV, from Sweden. There was hardly anyone in the stadium, yet, it was a high level meeting!

nail hit firmly on the head

costs of machinery and travel are ludicrous

the answer? keep sticking a quid on admission

the result? people stop going

• Like 1

Why no pictures in todays SS of the Gerhard? Such a shame I was looking forward to reading and seeing more technical information (trade secrets notwithstanding).

Not all speedway fans are only interested in riders and teams, some of us like the technical stuff too.

In 1977 I needed a new piston for my Husqvarna 400 MX bike, the only one available at the time appeared to be a Mahle (OE) and it cost £90, a staggering amount at the time.

Dave Nourish sold me everything for an 850 8 valve twin apart from the crankcases (crank, rods, pistons, barrel, head, cams) in 1990 for less than a thousand quid, an astonishing bargain in comparison to £200 pistons and nothing was too much trouble in aftercare from Dave, very friendly and gentle guidance and advice and extremely robust products.

Not sure where you getting prices from but a relining of barrel is no more than 200, big end and roller bearing 75, strip down and rebuild should be around 175 although can be more or less depending on who or where you go.

Speedway is still a relatively cheap form of Motorsport. Engines don't need constant new parts, a reputable tuner will strip, check and only replace parts if they need replacing. Unfortunately unscrupulous tuners milk riders and feed them cack so that they can line their pockets.

• Like 1

Why no pictures in todays SS of the Gerhard? Such a shame I was looking forward to reading and seeing more technical information (trade secrets notwithstanding).

Not all speedway fans are only interested in riders and teams, some of us like the technical stuff too.

What a joy this thread is. When I returned to speedway in 2002 I wanted to find out more about the machinery and I've found out more from this thread than I ever had in the last 13 years. Thanks a lot :D

I asked earlier, jim3751, whats stopping someone going back to upright engine (as laydown ones seem to be a cause of a problem), but no one come back yet. Perhaps no one knows what the regs say.

Not sure where you getting prices from but a relining of barrel is no more than 200, big end and roller bearing 75, strip down and rebuild should be around 175 although can be more or less depending on who or where you go.

Speedway is still a relatively cheap form of Motorsport. Engines don't need constant new parts, a reputable tuner will strip, check and only replace parts if they need replacing. Unfortunately unscrupulous tuners milk riders and feed them cack so that they can line their pockets.

I bought two big end bearings for JRM's for £90 the pair a few months ago.

I am not sure if there is any rules in place for not using an old upright bike, or even a new version of the old upright. A new frame and a new designed engine could weel hold its own against a lay down. Would be good to see the outcome.

Also it would be nice to see them run on 2 different track conditions, the modern flat as a pancke track and the ild way with lots of dirt. The upright would probally come out well on top with the second track surface and could probablly, come out quite well on the first, if it was a completely new bike.

What it is, is that the riders have now come to like the laydown and the upright has been doomed to the histry books. When was the last upright used in major speedway meeting and who by.

From what I have seen of the new gerhard engine so far I have been quite impressed, think we will be seeing more of it in major speedway. Could well be the in favor engine next season, if the testing goes well this year..

Edited by weatherwatcher

I am not sure if there is any rules in place for not using an old upright bike, or even a new version of the old upright. A new frame and a new designed engine could weel hold its own against a lay down. Would be good to see the outcome.

Also it would be nice to see them run on 2 different track conditions, the modern flat as a pancke track and the ild way with lots of dirt. The upright would probally come out well on top with the second track surface and could probablly, come out quite well on the first, if it was a completely new bike.

What it is, is that the riders have now come to like the laydown and the upright has been doomed to the histry books. When was the last upright used in major speedway meeting and who by.

From what I have seen of the new gerhard engine so far I have been quite impressed, think we will be seeing more of it in major speedway. Could well be the in favor engine next season, if the testing goes well this year..

Sudden Sam was one of the last to ride an upright and many say it hampered his career ( not that he did not achieve great things) but i believe that Ivan Mauger said laydowns are easier to ride due to lower center of gravity . It is legal to use an upright in speedway today it's just down to riders preferring the laydowns and everyone folowing the leader as always happens in motor sports .

As a guide to the date of upright and laydown engines, in the last one off World Final at Vojens in 1994, Jason Crump was on an upright, and Tony Rickardsson, winner, was on a laydown.

Hope this helps.