British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

Yeah, but how do you entice the first ant in, do you just tell it that's there's a 'Briggo' lump inside, or get some sugar flavour spray and give it a little squirt first to trick them, haha ;-)

Yeah, but how do you entice the first ant in, do you just tell it that's there's a 'Briggo' lump inside, or get some sugar flavour spray and give it a little squirt first to trick them, haha ;-)

do you know what RD , i hadn't thought of that... Bugger !! bit like you not thinking about the exhaust valves still being open for one third of the pistons ascendance so the air would go out of there instead of inflating a balloon , or the fact that any air that went into the balloon would need to compress to create the pressure to inflate the balloon, maybe better to scrap the Ant idea anyway because there would no doubt be problem with animal cruelty . perhaps just stick to the tried and tested way ( and In my highly unqualified opinion ) only way of measuring, by removing the head and measuring the bore and stroke . but please do post some more suggestions because I am enjoying reading them , a lot more than watching a 2 Ronnies sketch

• Like 1

Oh, forgot about the valves, put the balloon on the exhaust outlet and leave the sparkplug in,,, but use a knackered sparkplug, cos you don't want to engine firing up, cos it might burst the balloon, or at least melt it (so wear gloves !!!),,,

p's,,, the guy did state that he wasn't very technical, so coming up with all these idea's, might be pushing him a bit too far ;-)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Oh, forgot about the valves, put the balloon on the exhaust outlet and leave the sparkplug in,,, but use a knackered sparkplug, cos you don't want to engine firing up, cos it might burst the balloon, or at least melt it (so wear gloves !!!),,,

p's,,, the guy did state that he wasn't very technical, so coming up with all these idea's, might be pushing him a bit too far ;-)

definitely not pushing him too far . people who are of advancing years as TWK is . need to keep their brain active . and I'm sure reading through these last few posts sorting out the fact from fantasy , and practical from humor will do just that so rather than confusing him we are doing him a favour

• Like 2

The best way to measure the engine is to remove the spark plug and get an off-duty policeman to fill the hole wih neat vodka. If the engine is the right size you should still have a third of a 75cl bottle left.

Then put a straw in the spark plug hole and send for Darcy Ward. The engine will be completely emptied with no rebuild cost.

p.s. Don't leave the empty vodka bottle lying around unless you want Darcy to attempt to measure some other hole.

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 4

The best way to measure the engine is to remove the spark plug and get an off-duty policeman to fill the hole wih neat vodka. If the engine is the right size you should still have a third of a 75cl bottle left.

Then put a straw in the spark plug hole and send for Darcy Ward. The engine will be completely emptied with no rebuild cost.

arr come on,,, your just being silly now, vodka isn't cheap :-(

The individual at the heart of Suter-Estech is Eskil Suter a Swiss national. A name well known to road racing fans. Very searchable on the internet. Successful as a builder / manufacturer. Before that a racer but not especially distinguished.

Edited by SunArisen

What are you saying thanks for ?, he just quoted you a complete load of nonsense . no one would be daft enough to fill an engine with water for a start , and even if they did , it would give completely innacurate measurement .. there is only 1 way to accurately measure an engines capacity , and that is to remove the head and measure the bore and stroke . If you believe someone is using an oversize engine , you have to pay £150 protest fee to have it checked . the engine will then be sealed by the machine examiners and the rider has a limited time to present it fortesting , it will have the head removed and bore and stroke measured , also occasionally a random engine will be chosen for measurement . same thing seals are applied and the engine taken for testing , not filled up with water and tipped upside down to empty it !!!!! , taken apart and measured . if the engine is not oversize the rider is compensated £80 to cover the cost of a rebuild .. no water is used whatsoever during this measuring process , and only someone with virtually no mechanical knowledge ,but who think they have,, would suggest it

something like that , long stroke conrod short stroke piston , but you nee extra gaskets to make the extra length up or the piston hits the head , so effectively you have created an overbored long stroke

Because that is the right thing to do when someone has attempted to help you out with some information right or wrong., which RD did in good faith.

It is called manners - or it was in my day.

Thank you for your explanation too by the way.

• Like 2

Because that is the right thing to do when someone has attempted to help you out with some information right or wrong., which RD did in good faith.

It is called manners - or it was in my day.

Thank you for your explanation too by the way.

I did like the group 'Bad Manners' TWK!

I find it encouraging that Marcel Gerhard has chosen a couple of riders from GB to test the engine on speedway .. both riders are not well known for their gating too so maybe this is a part of the engine that Gerhard is keen to expose and work on

It looks to me like the Gerhard engine is lacking a bit on the straights. It pulls from the gate well but not the straights, maybe gearing or something more technical.

By jove I think I've got it . remove spark plug , fill engine with rice crispies , suck out rice crispies with a Dyson and put them in a measuring jug ,, job done :lol:

• Like 1

I'm interested if there is a 20 hour guarantee? 20 hours is a lot of races!!

I'm also confused why it being supplied complete is such a great selling point-gm in kit form with CNC head is approx £2700 Inc vat and then £150 approx to put it together if you paying someone else. You can choose pretty much what cam,rod,piston etc you want within reason.

The extra money riders spending on engines is when they paying for the tuners expertise which I know can make an engine £5000

I prefer to get engines in kit form and then you know they put together how you want them.

Speedway needs more engines to create genuine competition, so good luck to GTR, Goddens, Jawa and anyone else making engines.

• Like 1

Mr Standard rider doesn't go to PJR now and who is to say that he will get them to run much quicker anyway. But if a rider can use the same competitive engine for weeks and months on end with little or no service bills then pure economics will kick in.

I take it you have no relation to grass root speedway riders then.

• Like 1