British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

I'm just saying what I've been told, I am the sort of person that needs to know how everything works ,I am very aware of the internals of speedway engines and have spoken to the relevant people about the GTRs as I am am interested in them and there workings

We share a passion for technology. I don't know much about the internal workings of a speedway engine but things like titanium rods sound expensive.

No disrespect but "What I've been told" is a long way from absolute truth. There is a lot at stake here. Getting riders to switch to a successful engine is money in the bank. What one sponsored rider is supplied with versus the out of the box version can be very different. Don't get me wrong. It has always been so. You can gas flow an engine and it's still standard. But it's quicker. A 4 grand engine and some clever mechanics beating the best engine tuners in the World? I remain sceptical.

Anyway. Rock on Freddie. You're a great bloke who's served his time.

• Like 1

has fred not changed his mechanics,backroom staff this season which might be contributing to his form?

I do know that he has one new mechanic in Reece Harvey who used to mechanic for Ryan Douglas & help other riders, S Worrall, L Bjerre, T Busch to name a few & I know he is well respected by others. He is the son of BIG Paul Harvey who used to spanner for Magnus Karlsson.

Reece is based abroad(I think in Sweden) for Freddie's European teams & GP's & I am not sure of his other mechanics abroad or in Britain but they must all be decent as Freddie is racking up the points where ever he rides (another max last night).

There is, also, Jonas Kylmakorpi in the background helping out as advisor in pits & testing.

• Like 1

I do know that he has one new mechanic in Reece Harvey who used to mechanic for Ryan Douglas & help other riders, S Worrall, L Bjerre, T Busch to name a few & I know he is well respected by others. He is the son of BIG Paul Harvey who used to spanner for Magnus Karlsson.

Reece is based abroad(I think in Sweden) for Freddie's European teams & GP's & I am not sure of his other mechanics abroad or in Britain but they must all be decent as Freddie is racking up the points where ever he rides (another max last night).

There is, also, Jonas Kylmakorpi in the background helping out as advisor in pits & testing.

Marcel Gerhard is often at GPs as well.

I would have thought that GTR getting it's first GP win so soon after it's inception was quite a big deal but it seems to have been played down.

When was the last time a GP was won by anything other than GM?

When Kelvin mentioned it in Saturday's commentary it seemed to be met by an embarrassing silence from Nigel and the subject was dropped. Scott touched on it in the studio but I felt it warranted a bit more praise for such an achievement.

• Like 2

I am reminded of the last time I can remember when a new engine won the World Championships. It was in 1983 when Egon Muller won the one off World Championship on a...

GM

Edited by False dawn

I would have thought that GTR getting it's first GP win so soon after it's inception was quite a big deal but it seems to have been played down.

When Kelvin mentioned it in Saturday's commentary it seemed to be met by an embarrassing silence from Nigel and the subject was dropped. Scott touched on it in the studio but I felt it warranted a bit more praise for such an achievement.

I didn't notice what you did last Saturday, but in Krsko when Freddie came 2nd I did notice the complete silence then, didn't here anything about the Gerhard engine.

You would think it would be an exciting occasion to have a new engine on the scene that is capable of winning.

• Like 1

That's because; it is very early days/dying on it's arse (delete as appropriate)

It's very very likely that it was NOT an "out of the box" GTR - even with magical set ups from Freddie's team. Very few people believed that it was? Much more likely it is a "development" model and Freddie is the "test rider". If it's not broadcast loud and clear in the SS report of the Warsaw GP then we can be sure it is a "work in progress" that Freddie rides.

• Like 1

Some people actually believe you can buy one, and it will be just like Fast Freddies, it just ain't going to happen.

Very clever marketing, which obviously works with the gullible few.

Have you seen Massa in the Mercedes, getting close to Hamilton in the Mercedes? Both using Merc engines, but a million miles apart in performance.

• Like 1

I see no reason why an out of the box engine cannot win GPs. The main challenges are maintaining optimal grip around the track and of course off the start line. Other aspects unrelated to the engine internals, such as timing, gearing, jetting, wheelbase, throttle control, seat height, rider position, tyre pressure and plug can all have a dramatic effect on this - commonly referred to by riders as 'setup'.

It's this ability of the rider/mechanics to achieve an optimum setup alongside a rider who is on his game to produce race wins. The pilot has a much bigger influence in speedway than on other motor sports such as F1 for example and Freddie is riding really well at present - he has to be given credit for this.

People may suspect he's doing something extra with his engines but they're just jealous they're not being as successful so look to point at a reason. It could just be the GTR offers the right power delivery out of the box to achieve the optimum grip. Tuners are rightly in fear for their income - I see PJR is already developing an engine with a rev limiter to try and compete.

• Like 3

Some people actually believe you can buy one, and it will be just like Fast Freddies, it just ain't going to happen.

Very clever marketing, which obviously works with the gullible few.

Have you seen Massa in the Mercedes, getting close to Hamilton in the Mercedes? Both using Merc engines, but a million miles apart in performance.

Funny though that everyone who has got one has upped their game. There's nothing 'gullible' about buying a mechanically superior product.

• Like 2

Hi TDM. Not sure who you are or how you know anymore about Freddie's engines than I do. I was only asking.

Dean Felton - former rider

One thing I think Gerhard has done with his engine is make it a twin cam engine with micrometer adjustment of the cam timing as was done with the old manx norton to give different overlaps for either more bottom or topend power to suit track conditions

• Like 1

I see no reason why an out of the box engine cannot win GPs. The main challenges are maintaining optimal grip around the track and of course off the start line. Other aspects unrelated to the engine internals, such as timing, gearing, jetting, wheelbase, throttle control, seat height, rider position, tyre pressure and plug can all have a dramatic effect on this - commonly referred to by riders as 'setup'.

It's this ability of the rider/mechanics to achieve an optimum setup alongside a rider who is on his game to produce race wins. The pilot has a much bigger influence in speedway than on other motor sports such as F1 for example and Freddie is riding really well at present - he has to be given credit for this.

People may suspect he's doing something extra with his engines but they're just jealous they're not being as successful so look to point at a reason. It could just be the GTR offers the right power delivery out of the box to achieve the optimum grip. Tuners are rightly in fear for their income - I see PJR is already developing an engine with a rev limiter to try and compete.

I agree with you its all about set-ups to suit track conditions.500cc is plenty enough power for a speedway track.
  • Like 1