British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

You've just proved my points guys, regarding FF, do you really think FF was using an out of the box GTR, get real.

If they were competitive, reliable and economical, there would be dozens in use, as Riders are very much like sheep, one leads and the rest will follow, but they obviously didn't believe they could be like FF on a standard GTR.

You've just proved my points guys, regarding FF, do you really think FF was using an out of the box GTR, get real.

If they were competitive, reliable and economical, there would be dozens in use, as Riders are very much like sheep, one leads and the rest will follow, but they obviously didn't believe they could be like FF on a standard GTR.

Freddies engines were out the box but its how you set them up , they need different jetting/gearing- valve timing to conventional thinking and with Freddie not giving that out you were on your own but the engines were the same

Freddies engines were out the box but its how you set them up , they need different jetting/gearing- valve timing to conventional thinking and with Freddie not giving that out you were on your own but the engines were the same

Therein lies the problem. Freddie, therefore Marcel too knew the optimum settings to get the engine running competitively but refused to share them.

They were trying to sell the engine to riders without providing adequate set up info, leaving them wasting time and money chasing set ups. Which in a results based sport can mean you're out of a job if you don't score.

Many people (me included) spent thousands on a product and then sold it and bought another GM which we knew would do the job.

I've already seen tuned GTR's with different cams competing on the grass in international meetings so even the "don't need to tune them" line has gone out of the window.

• Like 1

Therein lies the problem. Freddie, therefore Marcel too knew the optimum settings to get the engine running competitively but refused to share them.

They were trying to sell the engine to riders without providing adequate set up info, leaving them wasting time and money chasing set ups. Which in a results based sport can mean you're out of a job if you don't score.

Many people (me included) spent thousands on a product and then sold it and bought another GM which we knew would do the job.

I've already seen tuned GTR's with different cams competing on the grass in international meetings so even the "don't need to tune them" line has gone out of the window.

So then, do GM motors not need any tuning?? Do they not have to be set up for different tracks/different conditions?? Do GM put in the "box" all the settings for all the tracks and different types of conditions for each track??

Very possible that grass tracks are a much larger circuit then speedway, particularly on the continent. So one would expect tuning could be vastly different on a long grass track compared to a 340 metre slick speedway track - including cams

• Like 1

So then, do GM motors not need any tuning?? Do they not have to be set up for different tracks/different conditions?? Do GM put in the "box" all the settings for all the tracks and different types of conditions for each track??

Very possible that grass tracks are a much larger circuit then speedway, particularly on the continent. So one would expect tuning could be vastly different on a long grass track compared to a 340 metre slick speedway track - including cams

With a GM you know what you're getting, information is readily available. As I said. In speedway if you don't score you're out if a job.

The grass track rider was English. Riding on smaller English tracks.

My point was if you're selling a new product and trying to attract standard riders, don't hide info on how to get it running right

• Like 1

there is no optimum performance because what works for 1 rider wont work for another , how many riders brought an oval port GM to find they didnt work for them , how many brought a baby offset when they first came out and found they were rubbish in Britain , or what about riders who had a good set up with a british tuner but decided they knew better and went with a foreign tuner and then struggled , its a race engine not a Ford Focus , if everyone was on them you would all be in the same boat but as you say results matter and while you experiment your sacked Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 4

Anyway, I was proved right, and the people with the vested intetest were found out and proved wrong, think the technical term is 'not fit for purpose'.

Interestingly when was the last time you heard anything from the people in the 'know', when FF was using the GTR crankcases the GTR PR machine was running 24/7.

• Like 1

Anyway, I was proved right, and the people with the vested intetest were found out and proved wrong, think the technical term is 'not fit for purpose'.

Interestingly when was the last time you heard anything from the people in the 'know', when FF was using the GTR crankcases the GTR PR machine was running 24/7.

no your not right , they are being trialed in Poland , they are being used on grasstrack and longtrack and in Britain there is a few at lower level and they are working , to be honest was Freddie any better when he went back to a GM , he led the world on a GTR he never got that high after he went back to a GM , we get you dont like them or the bspa involvement but your not right , far from it ,
  • Like 4

Making the engine work for the rider is the biggest challenge, there maybe a place in speedway for the GTR but unfortunately at circa £5000 it is an expensive risk, as a perfect set up would be 2 complete bikes and a spare engine. Like any racing engine they need regular service's to get optimum performance. I am sure Freddie has his checked as soon as he feels it has gone off, and I am sure that he has a spare waiting to go straight in while another is away being serviced. GM has got it right with the design, good maintenance and regular oil changes a GM will do 50plus races before a major service and you can pick up a good second hand one for around £1000. I would love to see more competition from engine manufacturers and the GTR would certainly be a good start.

• Like 3

Making the engine work for the rider is the biggest challenge, there maybe a place in speedway for the GTR but unfortunately at circa £5000 it is an expensive risk, as a perfect set up would be 2 complete bikes and a spare engine. Like any racing engine they need regular service's to get optimum performance. I am sure Freddie has his checked as soon as he feels it has gone off, and I am sure that he has a spare waiting to go straight in while another is away being serviced. GM has got it right with the design, good maintenance and regular oil changes a GM will do 50plus races before a major service and you can pick up a good second hand one for around £1000. I would love to see more competition from engine manufacturers and the GTR would certainly be a good start.

They are actually £3950 if you are VAT registered, your comment "regular service's" could be misinterpreted, the claim is once or twice a year. There are a lot of riders who don't get 50 plus races from GMs. Your comments about Freddie Lindgren are pure guesswork. While it is certainly possible to get a secondhand GM for £1000, there are very few (if any) riders in the top three leagues actually using them, Dean might possibly know of one or two.

Foamfence, yes if you are lucky to be vat Reg, that would reduce the start up cost for a GTR. Servicing is very dependant on many factors, track that you ride, how you look after the engine etc. Riders at Freddie's level will certainly know when the engine is ready for a service, be it GTR or GM. With my comment on second hand GM, I would say only a few riders in the lower league would be able to afford anything more that a good second hand GM, probably around £1500-£2000. GM's around £1,000 make a good starter engine for those coming in to the sport. I would love to see the GTR make an impact in the sport.

• Like 1

Nathan greaves has just put his up for sale brand new start of this year and just back from service from GTR £2500 Big loss for a 8 month old engine

Nathan greaves has just put his up for sale brand new start of this year and just back from service from GTR £2500 Big loss for a 8 month old engine

Is it?

Not really, Bomber just sold two complete bikes with GM engines, both new this year, six grand for the pair!

• Like 2

Putting it up for sale is one thing, selling it is another.

Would be interesting to know how much the service was.

Putting it up for sale is one thing, selling it is another.

Would be interesting to know how much the service was.