British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

Would it be possible to make the NL GTR engine to be used say from 1st March 2019

• Sad 1

i was reading yesterday some posts from graham hurry saying that paul used a GTR last season, did 22 meetings without any service work and he actually made a bit of money although I doubt he was on a crap deal but the point is the engine, there will be riders who are lesser standard or equal that spent £££££ with englebert fancypants engine tuning and lost a fortune and cant make it pay and will tell you a million reasons why they wont use a GTR, there is a lesson there somewhere for not just riders but speedway as a whole but don't expect it to be learnt

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

i was reading yesterday some posts from graham hurry saying that paul used a GTR last season, did 22 meetings without any service work and he actually made a bit of money although I doubt he was on a crap deal but the point is the engine, there will be riders who are lesser standard or equal that spent £££££ with englebert fancypants engine tuning and lost a fortune and cant make it pay and will tell you a million reasons why they wont use a GTR, there is a lesson there somewhere for not just riders but speedway as a whole but don't expect it to be learnt

You're absolutely right imho, had Marcel persevered independently it would and may still develop as a positive option. The BSPA presented this as the utopian solution which was met with the usual mistrust and contempt from so many, including me. I can't diss the initiative but the implementation was premature and poor yet in reality it could still be the eventual solution. My beef is that engines are the rider's responsibility not the BSPA when they can't even get right the things they are good at!

26 minutes ago, Lord Skid said:

But the engine never did what was promised, anyone can sell something by making false claims.

It won a GP and as shown in my last post and proved by lindgren was reliable and cost effective, it’s down side was getting it to perform (set up), what else did you expect it to do ?

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, stevehone said:

i still believe the GTR should have been aimed more towards the NL to get riders using the GTR, saving money (after the initial outlay though obviously) and using the engines throughout the levels.

top riders are more unlikely to move as they will generally have so much more invested.

one of the problems we have in the NL though was mentioned by Shale Searcher, why do you need spoke straws and all the bits a GP rider has at that level??

Because promoters insist that NL riders have two bikes and a van and a fully-professional setup. Are you expecting a rider to cough up ten grand for engines on top of that? They often buy second-hand anyway. The days of a rider turning up with one bike on the back of a car have long gone: even at amateur level.

1 hour ago, Lord Skid said:

But the engine never did what was promised, anyone can sell something by making false claims.

There haven't been any false claims.

So a standard GTR won a GP, if you believe that then there's no hope.

Isn't there a problem with the big end bearings not lasting the distance.

Just ask Jonny the Spud for a recommendation, he knows what the score is with the engine.

38 minutes ago, Lord Skid said:

Just ask Jonny the Spud for a recommendation, he knows what the score is with the engine.

A bought in component that failed in a very small number of cases and the engine does come with a warranty.

Its clear all engines will have issues the major concern was that the USP of the GTR was that it would remain competitive for far longer than a currently tuned Jawa/GM. Once doubt is in peoples minds the price tag becomes a bit too large to gamble on. There was also the never declared service costs? Its no good lasting 5 times a long if the bill will be 5 times the size.

Personally i feel it would have been good to set up a factory team perhaps at NL level and see how the results were across the board over a season. All the riders would have had to work together to gain setups and the cost saving could have then been noted at the end of the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *JJ said:

Because promoters insist that NL riders have two bikes and a van and a fully-professional setup. Are you expecting a rider to cough up ten grand for engines on top of that? They often buy second-hand anyway. The days of a rider turning up with one bike on the back of a car have long gone: even at amateur level.

Not true , that’s just in the head of riders and it’s that mentality that’s pushing the sport out of reach financially 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Skid said:

So what special parts were in lindgren’s engine ??  It was the chrome coming off the big end pin , we have been through all this before and you just ignore the facts and only hear what you want to hear, still waiting for your ideas as a way forward , you just keep burying your head in the sand like the others 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, *JJ said:

2 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Not true , that’s just in the head of riders and it’s that mentality that’s pushing the sport out of reach financially 

Its largely common sense but far from essential. A bike can be damaged in seconds so turning up with two is just practical. The leagues are spread far and wide so a van is more usable than a car and rack / trailer but all promotions really care about is riders who score points and turn up every time on time. 

have heard that Greg Hancock is testing and working alongside marcel  now could the GTR be about to be reborn? 

59 minutes ago, neb said:

have heard that Greg Hancock is testing and working alongside marcel  now could the GTR be about to be reborn? 

So it said on polish press a few weeks ago