British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

5 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Not true , that’s just in the head of riders and it’s that mentality that’s pushing the sport out of reach financially 

The sport isn't out of reach financially, if you are good enough, you'll earn money, you get out of it what you are worth.

What actually happened to the GTR project ? It just went quiet. Is the Godden project going to go the same way ?

2 hours ago, Lord Skid said:

The sport isn't out of reach financially, if you are good enough, you'll earn money, you get out of it what you are worth.

I meant the sport is costing more than the income it’s generating and the riders are fueling that by demanding this and that, saying they have to have this and they have to have that, it’s no good putting it all in to be the best if there is nowhere left to be the best and that’s where we are heading 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

One of the biggest problems this sport has got and as had for a long time is no regulation on equipment , if GM were to make a new super short stroke 100mm piston 60stroke engine and it proved to be faster but it doubled the cost, every rider would get one and speedway would allow it because it fits in with the vague regulation we have now, so it doubles the cost overnight but has no benifit to the sport at all, it doesn’t bring one person through the turnstiles and this has been happening since the street engine in the 70s and not just with engines, there should be a technical committee that looks at new products and that product should have 3 questions asked of it.  1. is it a safety benefit . 2. Does it do anything to improve the sport,. 3 does it reduce costs for the competitor ,if it doesn’t tick  at least 1 box its get thrown out  

• Like 6

On 5/22/2018 at 7:58 PM, Shale Searcher said:

It's how the bike looks as well, the other week, a NL rider and mechanic spent best part of 2 hours piddling about with those spoke straws, all nicely colour coordinated, ish, with rest of guards/covers, but in their quest for making bike look good, they failed to notice a broken spoke!! The one with the balancing weight, which was swinging more than the swinging footrest!!! Very nearly missed his first race.... 

I've heard of that ^^ happening.  Not forgetting £40 fuel tank caps, essential equipment.....

Duh ... what's a spoke straw?

Mitch Godden won the legendary Tetrow grasstrack on the new GR Godden last week...... just saying 

• Sad 1

Did the BSPA actually buy a lot of GTR engines or agree to do so, if the demand was there? Is there a big shed full of them gently rusting away?

6 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Did the BSPA actually buy a lot of GTR engines or agree to do so, if the demand was there? Is there a big shed full of them gently rusting away?

There's a few kicking around but not shed loads.

The BSPA had an agreed number of units with Gerhard but they were to be built to order. 

As I understand, the BSPA had to make up the difference between the Gerhard RRP and the price the BSPA were selling them for if the agreed numbers where not sold. All in all, it's not that much of a loss to the BSPA. Pretty much a win win for them

16 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The BSPA had an agreed number of units with Gerhard but they were to be built to order. 

As I understand, the BSPA had to make up the difference between the Gerhard RRP and the price the BSPA were selling them for if the agreed numbers where not sold. All in all, it's not that much of a loss to the BSPA. Pretty much a win win for them

Respectfully, I should check your sources again

18 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

What then does a "loss" constitute?

2 hours ago, Whisperer said:

Respectfully, what is the answer then? :unsure:

On 5/27/2018 at 9:26 AM, Whisperer said:

What’s the story from your source 

these engines have been out for a while now, if they were as cost efficient and competitive as some believe then surely there would be lot more of them out on the tracks than there currently is, as we all know once a rider has a good spell and its put down to something totally different to what others are doing the vast majority follow suit.

Is Fast Freddie currently on one of these over the counter engines?