British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

On that basis i suppose i could remove the seal of another competitors engine and prevent them from using it in a BSPA event? All hypothetical of course. Same goes for a rider who crashes and knocks the seal off?

Whilst im not against a new engine being introduced as i feel its essential there is variety i just don't see how the sealed engine idea would be enforced.

Much in the same way that if everybody used a sealed GTR some would be happier with the output than others. Its common knowledge that tuners will build several engines, a rider will take them to a track, try everyone and pick their preferred few from the bunch. So if the top riders all got to do this with batches of GTR engines it would mean the lower ranks would still be at a disadvantage.

I see your cup is half empty, have you actually seen the seals? Lets give it a chance, it's an attempt to cut costs and level the playing field. I applaud that and we can't just carry on getting into a worse state.

• Like 4

I don't think there's anything in place (in terms of rules and regs) to stop these engines being tuned up......but as the point is to reduce rider costs long-term then the riders will only be doing themselves out of pocket initially by going down that route.

Is this not the same engine that Freddie Lindgren used in EL and GP's for the majority of 2016? So they are made to compete already with the 'souped up' GM's and the like. Always people quick to knock any idea but to carry on without attempting to address the spiralling costs would see the sport continuing to decline.

• Like 5

You'd have to going the seals are more likely to be a paint or something rather than a wire!

Lifetime ban from the pits if caught would stop any tampering I would think.

Not convinced it's the way forward but at least they are trying to do something.

Just read these are sealed units. No good for Gary Guglielmi then.

I see your cup is half empty...

No. He's just been around speedway for more than 5 minutes.

• Like 1

No. He's just been around speedway for more than 5 minutes.

Me too, that's why I see the need to at least give this a try.

I'm certainly not against giving new things a try, far from it but I just want thongs to be considered fully and documented correctly so everyone knows the rules and how they are to be applied. I just tire of new initiatives being implemented and not thoroughly thought through and then rulings made on the fly to cover eventualities that should have been foreseen.

• Like 1

You honestly beliveve Freddie's was a standard sealed engine out the box no chance of that lol

• Like 2

You'd have to going the seals are more likely to be a paint or something rather than a wire!

Lifetime ban from the pits if caught would stop any tampering I would think.

Not convinced it's the way forward but at least they are trying to do something.

A couple of years ago I spoke with a person who was heavily in to MotoGP. They already had controlled/sealed/lotteried (is that a word?) engines in one or two of the three classes. Anyway, like almost anyone knows, no two engines can be built to perform the same. So he told me, that they could not do that in MotoGP either.

So is that OK to introduce that in to speedway? Sealed engines and what comes your way for 4k + VAT is yours even if the dyno says it's 15 % less something and your gut feeling after you've ridden it says bin it...

• Like 2

A couple of years ago I spoke with a person who was heavily in to MotoGP. They already had controlled/sealed/lotteried (is that a word?) engines in one or two of the three classes. Anyway, like almost anyone knows, no two engines can be built to perform the same. So he told me, that they could not do that in MotoGP either.

So is that OK to introduce that in to speedway? Sealed engines and what comes your way for 4k + VAT is yours even if the dyno says it's 15 % less something and your gut feeling after you've ridden it says bin it...

If a dyno test revealed that, you would take the engine back.

• Like 1

It appears that they are sealed. So "Sealed GTR" engined riders will have to compete against "Tuned GM" engined riders. Should be interesting.

How long will it take Edward Kennett (other cheats are available) and his team of accomplished hole borers to find a way to open the seal and re-seal an engine after playing around with its insides?

£4,000 PLUS 20% VAT = £4,800.00 - Is that still a bargain? I dunno... Brand new GTR vs partly used, newly reconditioned & tuned GM...I wonder if it will take off? What will the riders choose? Best of luck like, but not holding my breath here.

I've followed this with interest as the GTR is a new engine to speedway and it's configration of double overhead camshafts (DOHC) compared to the single overhead camshaft (SOHC) in the GM & JAWA engine. I haven't seen figures for maintenance cost V existing engines but it seems to be favourable. Not knowing the regular costs of new GM, JAWA & GTR engines, for my own interest I compared some figures, though maths isn't really my strong point so feel free to check the figures ;) .

The last few weeks Speedway Star has carried an ad for 500cc GM engines, priced at 3,480 EUROS + VAT.

As of today, 1 EURO = 0.838533 GBP.

So the advertised GM of 3,480 EURO =2,918.84GBP + VAT @ 20% 583.8GBP = 3,501.80GBP.

Based on above figures the new GTR engine, at £4,800 is apparently £1,200 more, with the deal offered to / by SGB.

£1200 would probably pay for a couple of services, assuming a blow-up or seizure hasn't occured requiring many components.

And we still don't know for sure the maintenance costs of the GTR, and the frequency theyb are required, V GM & JAWA.

Just saying.....

• Like 1

If a dyno test revealed that, you would take the engine back.

Can you do that?

Just asking...

Can you do that?

Just asking...

You can have your engine inspected at any time if you have doubts as to it's performance.

The one thing we do know for 100% fact, is that nobody knows enough about this 'scheme' to give a decent answer to what it's all about.

As with most things in speedway...there is never enough facts and figures given out or available to the average fan, to actually understand what's happening.

The majority of fans haven't got the foggiest idea about engines and set ups...let alone how the rules work each season...even the club managers and prmotors don't know them all.

It's a total guessing game and a farce if truth be known.

We all give 'opinions', but most are just guesses, or questions asking what's, if's and but's...Sums up speedway tbh...no one has the foggiest idea what they are doing ot talking about...just making it up as they go along. If you've followed the sport for years or promoted it....seems you can get away with as much bullrubbish as you like.

Mark Twain had a quote that could easily be used in Speedway...

Never argue with stupid (speedway) people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

• Like 1

You can have your engine inspected at any time if you have doubts as to it's performance.

Fine...