British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

You can get a complete second hand bike with a good GM engine for about £1,500 - £2,000. So who in the lower leagues is going to pay £5,000 for a GTR? Unless you win the lottery!

It'll pay for itself in the first year.

no it won't ,I've said it many times go buy a knackered engine off eBay for about £100 , buy tools to do job and learn to do it yourself , in 2012 I brought a GM of a rider for £100 , it had seized , put a second hand piston and barrel and new bearings and used it at national league level all year scoring plenty of points on it , I serviced myself 3 times that season with parts costing around £50 each time , at national league level any rider could still do that today and be compatible ,, the amount of money wasted at NL level is staggering , it is not " cool " to listen and learn from people like Cribby or Jem Doncaster or any old school riders but they have the knowledge without the bull , the knowledge and education is there but folk seem to want to spend £1000s and get nowhere cause they have run out of money , every rider should ask themselves who would win a race , you on the best bike money can buy or Greg Hancock on a 20 year old GM ? Until you can say you then your pouring money down the drain

You know what I meant Dean and you know what riders are spending on servicing and how frequently they're doing it, the GTR might just save some people from themselves.

You know what I meant Dean and you know what riders are spending on servicing and how frequently they're doing it, the GTR might just save some people from themselves.

I doubt it cause some would rather buy a flash timing cover than an air filter
  • Like 7

I doubt it cause some would rather buy a flash timing cover than an air filter

Ha! Well that's very true.

Good stuff Dean. I employed the same attitude when riding road bikes then motocross, me and my dad did most of the work ourselves, I / we saved loads and I learnt loads. No choice I had little money, but the 'rich dad crowd' existed who simply had to have the best, read flashiest, gear available. But it made them no quicker than anyone else, the only restriction to me being competive was how far I twisted the throttle ;), equipment monetary value was never an issue. A mate who races karts reports pretty much similar stories, it's always happened in motorsport prob always will. Bottom line: the stopwatch don't lie, in speedway it's mostly the proggie scorechart which tells all....

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

no it won't at lower level ,,I've said it many times go buy a knackered engine off eBay for about £100 , buy tools to do job and learn to do it yourself , in 2012 I brought a GM of a rider for £100 , it had seized , put a second hand piston and barrel and new bearings and used it at national league level all year scoring plenty of points on it , I serviced myself 3 times that season with parts costing around £50 each time , at national league level any rider could still do that today and be competitive ,, the amount of money wasted at NL level is staggering , it is not " cool " to listen and learn from people like Cribby or Jem Doncaster or any old school riders but they have the knowledge without the bull , the knowledge and education is there but folk seem to want to spend £1000s and get nowhere cause they have run out of money , every rider should ask themselves who would win a race , you on the best bike money can buy or Greg Hancock on a 20 year old GM ? Until you can say you then your pouring money down the drain, I hate saying this message now cause I'm falling into that old fart category who says "back in my day " but in the last 5 years the only thing that's changed is cost , the engines are the same single cylinder 4 valve beasts they were in the 80s

Hopefully Poultec are teaching the young guys this ....

no it won't at lower level ,,I've said it many times go buy a knackered engine off eBay for about £100 , buy tools to do job and learn to do it yourself , in 2012 I brought a GM of a rider for £100 , it had seized , put a second hand piston and barrel and new bearings and used it at national league level all year scoring plenty of points on it , I serviced myself 3 times that season with parts costing around £50 each time , at national league level any rider could still do that today and be competitive ,, the amount of money wasted at NL level is staggering , it is not " cool " to listen and learn from people like Cribby or Jem Doncaster or any old school riders but they have the knowledge without the bull , the knowledge and education is there but folk seem to want to spend £1000s and get nowhere cause they have run out of money , every rider should ask themselves who would win a race , you on the best bike money can buy or Greg Hancock on a 20 year old GM ? Until you can say you then your pouring money down the drain, I hate saying this message now cause I'm falling into that old fart category who says "back in my day " but in the last 5 years the only thing that's changed is cost , the engines are the same single cylinder 4 valve beasts they were in the 80s

There can't be any better feeling than beating people with 'all the gear, but no idea'.

You talk so much sense fella...it's refreshing to read.

Best post I've read regarding engines and the ridiculous lengths that some riders are prepared to pay.

• Like 2

Best post I've read regarding engines and the ridiculous lengths that some riders are prepared to pay.

thank you all for the nice words but it's more than just that I think works , I actually did this , I believe Kyle Newman is doing engines in house but at national league level everyone should do it , it's not hard to do and it's not hard to get parts but what is hard is convincing riders to do it , when you meet the young poles pretty much all of them can do engines themselves but brits only about 1in 20 even know how to check tappet gaps , I hope poultec are teaching riders this , a bit of knowledge can be the difference between making a bit of money or losing a fortune at NL level , there are some who will say well why were you not a better rider if it's that easy ? , well that's because after I dropped out of premier league I lost the ambition and just rode for fun and actually made money albeit not a wage but those who know me know me I complimented by.buisness with speedway so what I earned from speedway was a bonus, cut it short I was crap but my bikes weren't. I've sat and had a brew and asked questions with tuners and old school riders and watched and learnt taking it all in until I thought I could have a go myself , there are some tuners who want you to believe that there is rocket science to servicing engines and are truly arrogant about it but most are good chaps , anyway back to the GTR I hope there is potential in this idea and it's the start of the right direction , I have messaged speedway GB as why they chose GTR over jawa for a deal when jawa are half the price and have more capability to produce enough engines and got no reply but let's see how this idea runs Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

Just a thought but are they doing a 250 engine. Would seem strange that any youngster coming through would have to go down the jawa route then change to the gerhard, surely the powers that be need to look at those coming through as well as those already riding.

Edited by phillwhitewasmad

Just a thought but are they doing a 250 engine. Would seem strange that any youngster coming through would have to go down the jawa route then change to the gerhard, surely the powers that be need to look at those coming through as well as those already riding.

As a matter of interest I took the opportunity and rode a 250cc powered bike at one of Olle Nygren's training schools!

Can't quite understand why it's been introduced in this curious partial way for 2017 unless it is going to be the only machine permitted in UK speedway in 2018? As it should be if G. can produce enough engines. Is this why it has not been pushed through for 2017? I am in the camp where it is all too little too late for UK speedway where the BSPA seems not to want to listen to fans still on the terraces, as to what is wrong with the sport. There are several reasons why so many have given up on the sport and the best people to ask about this are current and recent ( now ex. ) fans.

Can't quite understand why it's been introduced in this curious partial way for 2017 unless it is going to be the only machine permitted in UK speedway in 2018? As it should be if G. can produce enough engines. Is this why it has not been pushed through for 2017? I am in the camp where it is all too little too late for UK speedway where the BSPA seems not to want to listen to fans still on the terraces, as to what is wrong with the sport. There are several reasons why so many have given up on the sport and the best people to ask about this are current and recent ( now ex. ) fans.

Nobody is stopping them coming on here and saying why they have become ex fans.

They do a 250cc engine.

http://www.gerhard-engines.com/products/

• Like 1