British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

Another often missed point is that you have to take or send your GM for all those services and you'll need another as cover while you're at it, so it isn't just the cost of one engine.

True foamfence but how many riders bring 1 bike to race meetings? They often have 2 bikes plus, maybe, a spare engine in the van never mind at the workshop!

• Like 1

What's the point of having an economical to run engine, it's all about how much your engine earns you, regarding Fast Freddie, he was on a development engine, which by it's name would have been stripped down, altered many times, so you can't use that as a yardstick.

It's all hypothetical anyway, Riders are not going to throw 8-11k at an unknown, and risk their livelihood, they are already ordering their GM's for 2017.

• Like 1

What's the point of having an economical to run engine, it's all about how much your engine earns you, regarding Fast Freddie, he was on a development engine, which by it's name would have been stripped down, altered many times, so you can't use that as a yardstick.

It's all hypothetical anyway, Riders are not going to throw 8-11k at an unknown, and risk their livelihood, they are already ordering their GM's for 2017.

But last season the factory claimed that his engine wasn't frequently stripped down and now they are claiming that all their current engines are the same as his, so are they liars or are you just guessing?

• Like 2

A complete and utter joke, who in their right mind is going to buy an over priced, non competitive engine, only the BSPA!!, Just stick to your GM's and win races, that's all Riders want.

So you can buy one for £5,500 from a Dealer, or £3,900 from the BSPA with some cheap parts thrown in, or buy a good used GM for £1500 and make a profit.

The usual negative sh!t from a usual source. I suppose from your comments, you didn't watch Freddie Lingren last year in the GP's. Or did you just ignore that.

Then folks complain about Promoters, when they try to put a show on for the likes of you. :nono::nono:

Freddie's improvement in form was on a test engine for evaluation, and showed most folks how it could improve a rider, and to get data regarding tuning and improvements.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

Which is the question I asked at post #738. Have the internals been changed to suit F Lindgren with his input back to Gerhard whereas Bomber could not!

Or are they still standard as per the first engine built? No replies, as yet, to substantiate this theory.

As posted in the SS, all the engines, now, are the same as Freddie's.

If this engine was a tenth of a second a lap faster than the GM( or claimed to be ) no one would have any negative thoughts ,I witnessed the four valve revolution never heard any complaint against the cost of changing then .Many riders moan about costs but in reality it is speed they are hunting and costs come a poor second it their their priorities sadly .

I hope this project is successful as it really could drive costs down and possibly lead to closer racing. The ultimate ideal would be for everyone to be on these engines who rides in the UK.

• Like 3

The usual negative sh!t from a usual source. I suppose from your comments, you didn't watch Freddie Lingren last year in the GP's. Or did you just ignore that.

Then folks complain about Promoters, when they try to put a show on for the likes of you. :nono::nono:

Freddie's improvement in form was on a test engine for evaluation, and showed most folks how it could improve a rider, and to get data regarding tuning and improvements.

Agree & don't forget Jason Doyle used a GR engine at Chris Harris testimonial & won the meeting!

• Like 1

I can't believe the manufacturer and importers would sell these engines and they'll not do what they say on the box, that would simply be stupid as it would be the end of their business??

• Like 4

If Freddie did what he did on an engine being developed, and I no reason to disbelieve it, then he did really really well.

It is very reasonable to think that the developments would be put into production models asap, so that means those being purchased now have all the development mods that proved +ve during 2016 incorporated into them.

Of course, riders still have to be able to match the capabilities of the engine, whatever engine that be.

• Like 3

Just read the GTR peice in the speedway star , ,you can sense the horns coming out from the mafia , the idea is exactly the way the sport has to go but it doesn't include the mafia and understandably they don't like that and they are going to throw the kitchen sink against the idea , every rider on the same engine with the same parts then sealed is as level playing field as your going to get in any Motorsport , it's got to be the way ,I applaud the Bspa on this and hope they get their way but to get rid of the cancer that is financially killing the sport at the moment is going to be difficult to say the least, I was against the GTR at first because of price and their claims of reliability , well they have proved me wrong on reliability and I'm happy to be wrong , I still think it's a bit on the pricey side for lower league speedway but I suppose that's the price to pay , I was thinking about if I was racing this year would I buy one , at NL 100% not , at championship level possibly 50/50 , at premier 75% yes I would

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

Just read the GTR peice in the speedway star , ,you can sense the horns coming out from the mafia , the idea is exactly the way the sport has to go but it doesn't include the mafia and understandably they don't like that and they are going to throw the kitchen sink against the idea , every rider on the same engine with the same parts then sealed is as level playing field as your going to get in any Motorsport , it's got to be the way ,I applaud the Bspa on this and hope they get their way but to get rid of the cancer that is financially killing the sport at the moment is going to be difficult to say the least

I was watching a you tube of a meeting which included you in action when the new Buxton track opened.

Having seen the amount of time you spent pushing your bike off onto the centre green, I bet you would have been grateful for a more reliable motor such as a GTR!

:rofl:

when you meet the young poles pretty much all of them can do engines themselves but brits only about 1in 20 even know how to check tappet gaps , I hope poultec are teaching riders this ,

Bike maintenance/engineering is listed as one of the modules on the Poultec programme.

I serviced myself 3 times that season

Away matches can be lonely affairs (sorry!).

• Like 6

Reading Kargers alternative view is pretty shocking really and shows these guys (tuners) have little

to offer but more of the same.

The black art of engine tuning seems to be their Devine right and keeping riders tied to expensive regular servicing and components.

I'm sure when the ESO Jawa first appeard there was similar castigation that this will never replace the good old JAP.

Within a short while the Jawa had changed speedway and made it more affordable to a lot of new young riders.

• Like 1

Reading Kargers alternative view is pretty shocking really and shows these guys (tuners) have little

to offer but more of the same.

The black art of engine tuning seems to be their Devine right and keeping riders tied to expensive regular servicing and components.

I'm sure when the ESO Jawa first appeard there was similar castigation that this will never replace the good old JAP.

Within a short while the Jawa had changed speedway and made it more affordable to a lot of new young riders.

well think about it , if sealed engines were made mandatory and only certain people like Trevor hedge were allowed to service them , the tuners have no business so obviously they are going to rubbish the idea but tough , this is about the future of speedway not some individuals and some of those individuals don't care a stuff about the people on the teraces

put aside the costs for a second and see what we would have if the GTR became mandatory , all the engines were identical from factory and then sealed , means every rider from the MDL to the premier league will be on the same engine , which in theory means a rider who was in the national league could ride in the premiership and if talent allowed would be competitive of which isn't the case now , the manufactuers (not Gerhard) are saying the engine should do 250 races which is a season without issue , that in my eyes is all you can ask from an engine really ,to me it levels the playing field out

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 6