British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

So, what's happened to the GTR, it used to be Championed by the good and mighty on here, mysteriously it seems to have disappeared off the planet.

Another failed BSPA initiative? Let's hope it's true that they didn't buy more than a few, but just arranged a discount for riders. And let's hope that the next BSPA Great Idea to Save Speedway is more effective. We can only wait and see - watch this space 12 months on.

Another failed BSPA initiative? Let's hope it's true that they didn't buy more than a few, but just arranged a discount for riders. And let's hope that the next BSPA Great Idea to Save Speedway is more effective. We can only wait and see - watch this space 12 months on.

Sadly it seems this programme has stalled and is currently in limbo, I’m given to understand that Marcel has negotiated some sort of settlement but whilst the BSPA are in for 6 figures it is nowhere near the sum that many of the tuners are trumpeting. Yet another opportunity missed by whoever you wish to hold responsible, I’d like to think it could be revived and work.

• Like 2

Sadly it seems this programme has stalled and is currently in limbo, Im given to understand that Marcel has negotiated some sort of settlement but whilst the BSPA are in for 6 figures it is nowhere near the sum that many of the tuners are trumpeting. Yet another opportunity missed by whoever you wish to hold responsible, Id like to think it could be revived and work.

Ouch, that will still hurt the sport especially with no sky TV money next year.

Sadly it seems this programme has stalled and is currently in limbo, I’m given to understand that Marcel has negotiated some sort of settlement but whilst the BSPA are in for 6 figures it is nowhere near the sum that many of the tuners are trumpeting. Yet another opportunity missed by whoever you wish to hold responsible, I’d like to think it could be revived and work.

Not true.

You're right, it can't be revived and work, it was a disaster waiting to happen, all down to the BSPA believing the hype they were fed.

You're right, it can't be revived and work, it was a disaster waiting to happen, all down to the BSPA believing the hype they were fed.

not so much the bspas part because I dont actually know what the deal is but the GTR concept really could of been a way forward but the attitude of the riders and nay sayers within the sport wont let it happen
  • Like 3

Wasn't the big selling point the fact it was unbelievably cheap to run, with massive service intervals.

Something that was totally unachievable, which is exactly what the people without a vested interest were saying.

• Like 1

Wasn't the big selling point the fact it was unbelievably cheap to run, with massive service intervals.

Something that was totally unachievable, which is exactly what the people without a vested interest were saying.

there are riders using them with big service intervals , the problem wasnt its reliabilty or its service costs it was its performance or at least how to achieve the performance ,I understand that there are some using them in longtrack/ grasstrack in Europe , its obvious you dont like them and are finding some enjoyment in their failure to take off in Britain and in the bspa failure if there is one ,they could of been a answer but sadly it doesnt look like thats going to happen now
  • Like 3

From what i can gather its not the failure of the engines in terms of running but the drop off in performance after a certain period. Its been proven by several that they will do 200 races etc but most comments i have heard are regarding the drop in power performance after 100.

To get them off the ground it could do with an experienced successful team either NL or Championship that will become a factory team, supply the engines & X points money to their 1-7. Obviously if its a bad season the engines will be blamed but if they have a decent year it will be a case of look what can be achieved etc

• Like 1

It is sad that the GTR has not taken off as it was hoped but it is no real surprise in this sport ,all riders seem interested in is speed and how their machinery looks .I was once at a meeting in the 70's when I saw a Jawa that looked like it was ready for the "bin" ,the rider went on to score max and happened to be one Barry Briggs who reputedly spent as little as possible on his machinery even using other riders cast offs .

My point being that if riders were to accept don't need to spend huge sums on tuning etc and concentrate on setting bikes up to suit conditions to gain an edge the whole GTR or similiar type of engines might just catch on .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 3

I was never against the GTR, just the marketing which encouraged Riders to buy them, with the promise of being competitive, reliable and economical, all of which proved false, and especially the constant updates on what Fast Freddie was achieving on his, which we now know was not 100% true, he could probably afford his, but I am sure there are lower order riders who are counting the cost.

• Like 1

I was never against the GTR, just the marketing which encouraged Riders to buy them, with the promise of being competitive, reliable and economical, all of which proved false, and especially the constant updates on what Fast Freddie was achieving on his, which we now know was not 100% true, he could probably afford his, but I am sure there are lower order riders who are counting the cost.

You certainly ARE against the GTR! All you've ever done on this thread is criticise it and anyone who spoke favourably about it. There are some riders now in their second season with the engine, they seem to have found it to be 'competitive, reliable and economical.' For the first half of the season Freddie Lindgren did very well with it at all levels, then again, most GP riders seemed to switch engine builders mid-season, so they basically played a game of musical chairs with tuners and where one found failure another found success, with the same tuner! Much of which is just psychology, if a rider feels he's made the right move he'll feel confident, until the novelty wears off.

• Like 1

but they are competitive , reliable and economical , they are just hard to set up and without being disrespectful to the riders some are not known for their technical ability and without the help which was not there they were not able to make them work ,other top riders like hancock tried them and said they had similar performance to a GM, Nicki Pedersen used them up till his injury but unless an engine hits the ground running it will never succeed as results matter , the concept is right despite what the nay sayer say but it need enforcement then no one gets the upper hand

• Like 1

Anyone who knows how to set them up isn't passing on info. In a sport where if you don't score you don't get paid, riders can't afford to cock up meetings hoping to get it right.

The power drops off big time after a while. Hence not a lot of riders are willing to take the risk

• Like 2