British Speedway Forum
Odds On

Sitingbourne To Go Elite?

Moving up to the EL was a disaster for Birmingham (twice - same in 1976) so Kent would be very ill-advised to repeat this.

Moving up to the EL was a disaster for Birmingham (twice - same in 1976) so Kent would be very ill-advised to repeat this.

Exactly. :t:

Rye house v coventry last Saturday cost me £11 including prog, excellent value for money. I must say I'm really enjoying the addition of the raiders and eastbourne to the NL this season. Good honest local speedway at a reasonable price, which ticks all the boxes for me.

• Like 1

I get how to the people running the club the books have to be balanced, it's a business as well as a sport. That's fine, thats sensible and it's the right way to go, the last thing we need is clubs plunged into a financial mess because of some ego-maniac wanting to compete at the highest level (be it speedway, or a Leed United in football). But surely if the books are balanced and those running the team can afford it, the fans should want to see their team competing at the highest level?

Are you really telling me is Kent announced tomorrow they were signing Mark Loram that the people of Kent would go, "nah, don't want to see him. He's too good"? People want to see the best, people want to be the best, surely? Or just what is the point.

I should point out as well the "muppet" part of my post was aimed at a few people specifically on the TV - it's not really relevant on here so hopefully nobody has taken offence to it!

Mark Loram was an excellent rider but to me, at least, the racing is more entertaining overall when the riders are all closer in standard. Personally over the years I have found the PL to be the most entertaining league. I have to say I have not been to sittingbourne so I cant comment on the quality of the racing there.

But surely that is the crux of the issue.

Speedway is supposed to be an Entertainment, so if the Premier League is more entertaining, then that is surely the place to be.

Personally I would rather see a decent Race than a World 'Star' beating a Premier League Rider by a half a Lap in the Elite League.

Just my opinion.

Not really...I would say that in football this season the Championship has been far more entertaining than the Premier League but nobody would ever claim that its actually the top league in football....

I would still much rather see the world stars of speedway ride and always have done...going back to when I went to Ellesmere Port on Friday nights and Belle Vue on Saturday nights...the entetainment at Ellesmere was great and I appreciated John Jackson and Steve Finch scoring their maximums but I always much preferred seeing the stars the following night , even if the entertainment wasn't always as good even back then.....I still feel the same and would definitely prefer to watch the world stars live any day of the week even though the Rlite League is a mere shadow now of its past

Not really...I would say that in football this season the Championship has been far more entertaining than the Premier League but nobody would ever claim that its actually the top league in football....

I'm sure that most Championship fans want their team to play in the Premiership though.

• Like 1

Same old EL v PL arguments but as usual people ignore the facts that the PL generally has the better racetracks, the price difference is so little nowadays and that many riders double down rather than up. The main issue the EL has is the one of missing riders, it seems to get worse every year and needs to be addressed (squads) so that we aren't subjected to random guests and R/R every week. Letting Lord Ford go by his own personal rulebook doesn't help matters either.

• Like 2

Friday night Elite League speedway? This was killed years ago, along with Saturdays, when the Grand Prix stared. So Sittingborne might elect for that - another promotion lured into Circus Speedway with a team one week and loads of guests the next throughout the season due to international commitments.

'Circus Speedway' - the term used when 'top' riders belong to two or three teams throughout Europe and breeze into town to ride for 'their' team once a week.

(As an aside, I wonder how Kings Lynn supporters feel that Rory Schlein was injured riding for a Polish club? Bad enough that he is injured at all, lets hope he gets well soon, but 'your' rider riding for someone else?

Friday night Elite League speedway? This was killed years ago, along with Saturdays, when the Grand Prix stared. So Sittingborne might elect for that - another promotion lured into Circus Speedway with a team one week and loads of guests the next throughout the season due to international commitments.

'Circus Speedway' - the term used when 'top' riders belong to two or three teams throughout Europe and breeze into town to ride for 'their' team once a week.

(As an aside, I wonder how Kings Lynn supporters feel that Rory Schlein was injured riding for a Polish club? Bad enough that he is injured at all, lets hope he gets well soon, but 'your' rider riding for someone else?

or when Lasse Bjerre pulledout of the Rye House v Redcar meeting dur to injury then rode at Wolves later the same day ha ha

Whilst I agree with you in your comments, I would also like to point out that his Polish Team Supporters would feel exactly the same had the dreadful accident happened in this Country at Kings Lynn.

Edited by The White Knight

Whilst I agree with you in your comments, I would also like to point out that his Polish Team Supporters would feel exactly the same had the dreadful accident happened in this Country at Kings Lynn.

That's exactly my point - Circus Speedway! The riders don't really belong anywhere. A reason to keep Elite League at arms length, in my view.

That's exactly my point - Circus Speedway! The riders don't really belong anywhere. A reason to keep Elite League at arms length, in my view.

The PL is 80% foreign. How many of them foreigners do you think are NOT riding abroad? Another myth shattered.

These threads basically show us some (not all) Premier League fans are completely and utterly deluded.

Why the feel there is a constant need to try and justify why 'their' league is better is beyond me. It's all speedway ffs.

99% of the stuff they come out with is just plain wrong.

The one argument that can be put forward is that there is more variety in the PL as it is a larger league. That is a perfectly legit argument.. but one rarely used.

Instead we get all the myths we can see listed in this thread.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 3

These threads basically show us some (not all) Premier League fans are completely and utterly deluded.

Exactly right. The PL doesn't actually do the job that it was meant to do, ie act as a stepping stone from NL to EL. Now that we have draft reserves and some PL teams fully staffed by foreign riders, it's relevance is even more diminished. If you like more overtaking because riders fall or are unable to cope with track conditions, then yes it can be more entertaining, but I always come away with the underlying thought that it seems to exist more as an entertainment than a sport, and in that respect it is comparable with fairgrounds and circus's.