British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Coventry V Poole 1/6/15

Weather is dry, breezy & sunny at the moment so can't see them calling it off yet. Hopefully any showers are light. Fingers crossed.

Try looking at the forcast, or don't you have TV in the midlands !! :rofl:

Had this Not been on sky I would of gone but with the bees management still charging full price it's a comfy armchair tonight and £50 in my pocket not spent.

Edited by robert72
  • Like 1

Had this Not been on sky I would of gone but with the bees management still charging full price it's a comfy armchair tonight and £50 in my pocket not spent.

That's the spirit. You can spend plenty of time in your armchair when we've closed down because people refuse to pay full price for the biggest meeting of the season.

• Like 5

Rain has started in South Wales it's on its way to coventry

Meanwhile SCB is seen galloping up the A 4112 on his sheep to the Midlands... Up up.. :rofl:

There is no way that this will be on tonight unless we are going to use boats. Every forecast is showing a solid band of rain crossing most of the country starting late afternoon ang going into the night.

I wish that Sky would call it off now and save themselves and every one else a load of work and trouble.

Wolves and Belle Vue been off for hours, at least they have got some sense.

See this then...looks 50/50 to me

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/gcqfjkq3z#?zoom=9&map=Rainfall&lon=-1.52&lat=52.41&fcTime=14332356

I've got a lot of objections with that whole comment :D It's not down to the few supporters that are left to cover the costs, it's down the promoters to start doing a better job looking after their sport! If this were a full priced home match for me then I'd probably stay and watch it on the TV as well with the added benefits of instant replays, commentary and a toilet that isn't dark and smelly. I would imagine Robert pays for Sky Sports, which pay speedway for the right to broadcast it. And I would argue that your aims for the season aren't very high if that's your biggest meeting of the season :D

The point Robert is making is that if Coventry had reduced the price in line with some of the other clubs, considering the option is there for anyone with a Sky Sports subscription to watch it for free tonight, then perhaps Coventry would have ended up with a chunk of Sky money and a chunk of Robert's money! :)

The problem for the club is that reducing the admission fee will almost certainly reduce the income from this meeting.

According to Wikipedia (I know but is at least a basis) 37% of households have access to Sky TV. Assuming Coventry has an average crowd of 2,000 that means that 1,260 of those do not have Sky and will attend this meeting. At £15 entrance (£18 less the VAT) that gives an income of £18,900 for tonight. If, for example, prices were dropped to £10 (£12 inc VAT) Coventry would need 1,890 people to make the same money, an additional 630 people. This represents 85% of those who could watch it on Sky for free deciding to pay even the reduced admission and attending the meeting.

Personally I dont think that would happen.

That's the spirit. You can spend plenty of time in your armchair when we've closed down because people refuse to pay full price for the biggest meeting of the season.

Biggest meeting of the season ? So you don't expect the bees will make the play offs then :lol:

Why should I pay full price to watch a meeting that I have already paid for to watch at home plus add petrol. programme & a burger ? what are Coventry speedway doing to get me & others off there armchairs to attend ?

Swindon did a good job at getting fans to attend there sky match.

• Like 2

I understand where you're coming from, but just because of a couple of recent offers you'd think that Coventry were the first team to ever charge full price for a TV meeting!

However you want to dress it up, Bees v Poole, Poole v Bees is the biggest meeting of the season, nowt to do with ambition.

If this were a meeting against Lakeside I would have expected an offer to try and make it semi appealing to the floating fan.

The problem for the club is that reducing the admission fee will almost certainly reduce the income from this meeting.

According to Wikipedia (I know but is at least a basis) 37% of households have access to Sky TV. Assuming Coventry has an average crowd of 2,000 that means that 1,260 of those do not have Sky and will attend this meeting. At £15 entrance (£18 less the VAT) that gives an income of £18,900 for tonight. If, for example, prices were dropped to £10 (£12 inc VAT) Coventry would need 1,890 people to make the same money, an additional 630 people. This represents 85% of those who could watch it on Sky for free deciding to pay even the reduced admission and attending the meeting.

Personally I dont think that would happen.

So what about the sky money Coventry receive ?

how could Swindon do it and not the bees, are they a much bigger club than Coventry ?

Financial suicide to reduce admission prices for a televised meeting when the weather's like today's - cold, wet and windy - which is likely to deter a number who would have attended in better weather

Imagine - the meeting goes ahead in bad weather, many choose to watch on TV because of the weather, those who do attend pay reduced admission

Not very clever

I know the meeting at Swindon last week looked good on TV with a big crowd - but it won't always work, and today's a day when it wouldn't