British Speedway Forum
kingbee

Coventry V Poole 1/6/15

I've got a lot of objections with that whole comment :D It's not down to the few supporters that are left to cover the costs, it's down the promoters to start doing a better job looking after their sport! If this were a full priced home match for me then I'd probably stay and watch it on the TV as well with the added benefits of instant replays, commentary and a toilet that isn't dark and smelly. I would imagine Robert pays for Sky Sports, which pay speedway for the right to broadcast it. And I would argue that your aims for the season aren't very high if that's your biggest meeting of the season :D

The point Robert is making is that if Coventry had reduced the price in line with some of the other clubs, considering the option is there for anyone with a Sky Sports subscription to watch it for free tonight, then perhaps Coventry would have ended up with a chunk of Sky money and a chunk of Robert's money! :)

There's a name for it Arya !!! ;)

I've thought for a long time that for the televised meeting especially, it makes good sense to reduce prices, but it has to be thought out in advance. Firstly, the club will receive TV money. Secondly, you would expect to get a larger crowd. Thirdly, if you can attract a sponsor to meet some of the meeting costs. You then give the sponsor maximum exposure in front of TV cameras and a larger than usual stadium audience to keep them happy. On top of this the sport as a whole receives a boost by playing to bigger crowds for the TV cameras. Examples of this lately are Glasgow and Swindon. Like I say though it has to be thought out in advance to make it work properly.

Peeing down in leamington a few miles from track

Not looking hopeful.

With the forcast being very poor, you would have thought the club would make an early decision to stop fans and riders travelling... Jeez that Sheep of SCB's is going to be knackered when its told to turn round and go home.. :lol:

Unless things have changed or I completely dreamt it I think the home team gets £20k per meeting from Sky to make up for reduced crowd so at lesser supported clubs it's a better income than a normal match. Exceptions being perhaps Poole and maybe Cov. That might have change though since losing Sky as the league title sponsor.

Edited by Chris BART Simpson
  • Like 1

Unless things have changed or I completely dreamt it I think the home team gets £20k per meeting from Sky to make up for reduced crowd so at lesser supported clubs it's a better income than a normal match. Exceptions being perhaps Poole and maybe Cov. That might have change though since losing Sky as the league title sponsor.

You've dream't it mate..

• Like 1

If it is on which I doubt, the racing will be rubbish like all meetings are when the weather is bad, normally it would be called off but not if Sky are televising the meeting

Try looking at the forcast, or don't you have TV in the midlands !! :rofl:

So far we have had showers with wind in Coventry. I don't just go by what it says on TV, prefer to go by what's happening outside.

A lot of dark clouds around but no rain at the minute. However the wind is really picking up

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 1

So far we have had showers with wind in Coventry. I don't just go by what it says on TV, prefer to go by what's happening outside.

A lot of dark clouds around but no rain at the minute.

According to SCB's weather picture it should be peeing down.

According to SCB's weather picture it should be peeing down.

We had a shower about an hour ago but nothing heavy yet. Fingers crossed. Forecast was heavy rain from 2pm but hasn't happened yet. Still time though.

The weather channel now says 55% chance of rain at 6pm and then 30% chance at 9pm. It's started raining lightly now.

Edited by mdmc82
  • Like 1

Sun now out in Leicester, the rain band is breaking up as it rises over the welsh hills and then hits slightly higher pressure.... What was a solid band of rain is now and will continue to fragment, really lucky people could miss the rain now altogether..... Or get soaked! Perhaps Cov will get the happy medium!!

TONIGHT's meeting at Brandon between the Buildbase Bees and Poole is ON.

The track is currently dry and the stadium has escaped any significant rainfall during the afternoon.

As at 5pm, conditions are good and it is all systems go for the meeting, starting at 7.30pm.