British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

John Cook Talks A Lot Of Sense

Yet another poor crowd at lakeside tonight, the fans are voting with their feet and it's too late to stop them.

Jon Cook is so out of touch wanting to communicate with fans via the programme.

We live in a digital age.

Expecting Jon to recommend the return of the JAP at any moment.

Look at the club's website! And apologise to Jon Cook perhaps?

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Hardly surprising when the away team turns up with 4 guests

And that Lakeside have lost so many home matches.

Re the guest situation, somehow a better fixture list needs to be sorted, I guess they use some sort of computer programme which doesn't really cut the mustard! I would definitely approach SCB about the programme he has written.

There are so many issues that could be dealt with better, most definitely the promoters need to listen and read.

• Like 1

Take your rose-coloured glasses off Williams. You have your head firmly up .. sorry, in the sand.

• Like 3

The last thing the speedway needs is the fans making decisions on its future. You only have to see the lack of consensus on here about anything, far less some of the crazy ideas that get suggested.

It's pretty obvious what's wrong with the sport - a poorly presented and overpriced product held in rundown stadia, no consistency in teams from week-to-week far less year-to-year, daft overcomplicated rules, and then those daft overcomplicated rules not even being applied consistently. Plus there's a changing population and economic demographic, people having less predictable working times, and more choice of entertainment.

How you address these issues is the bigger question, and answers are unlikely to come from the few hardcore fans that still go. It's the ones who don't go that need to be asked.

actually your post illustrates that there is some concensus: presentation, pricing, etc etc - just as you say above

yes its a bigger question how to address these things but its not exactly rocket science and if there was more direction rather than individual interests it should be possible

the very very first thing any such direction should address is costs. Its the same in any business - you live or die by cost control.

Take your rose-coloured glasses off Williams. You have your head firmly up .. sorry, in the sand.

Another childish personal remark from someone who hides behind an on-line name! :nono: Sadly such postings are becoming more and more prevalent on the BSF nowadays! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

A couple of specific details in my case

Firstly,like Humph say's work and private life have made it more difficult to attend speedway.5 years ago I worked north of Hamburg.It was relatively easy after work to jump in the car and head off to Denmark for a meeting.Then we moved south of Hamburg.That meant at least another hour on the journey and that made it very tight to get to meetings on time.But they are doing lots of work on the Autobahn,so a lot of time I would have little chance of making it.Add to that the changes which made the DSL less attractive for me.Before I could see Nicki and Puk in a team against two other good heatleaders and the whole thing was less predictable,but obviously for the promoter more expensive.Now Nicki comes u against the other top rider more and generally one rider is better than the other and wins his head to heads 9 times out of 10.So even if I have the chance I am less likely to take it.

Then my girlfriend is no speedway fan.I have taken her to a few meetings and she just doesn't like the experience of boring racing and dirty toilets etc.So a lot of the time I chose something that we can both enjoy

Then as recently at my local track the line-up is just poor.Norden have come back into the Bundesliga,but straight away go for a cheap team.They lined up against Brokstedt with two riders who have hardly done a decent lap in the past 5 years or so.Henning Loof and Marcel Limburger!!!! I could understand giving one a chance in a Bundesliga meeting,but not 2 at the same time.I straight away thought it would be a weak team and so it turned out.No way would I spend time and money watching such teams

You could add to that some of the rules as I don't like seeing a team take advantage of jokers and I loved it when Nicki took the piss in the SWC and of course booed like hell when the authorities tr to stop such things.Imo they are out of touch,not Nicki

Edited by iris123

You cannot argue against the value, nor the logic, of what Jon Cook is suggesting. Communication is key in all aspects of life.

However, I think that there is enough feedback already upon this (and club) forums to be getting on with. At the end of the day, we can communicate for eternity; but it's already abundantly clear where the major problems lie with modern-day speedway. This thread alone contains the majority of concerns.

What is needed is ACTION. Stop the talking and actually focus now upon delivering some significant changes to try and take this sport forward. Otherwise communication will not be deemed valuable - it will simply be deemed utterly pointless.

• Like 1

Sadly Mr Cook is all talk, says all the right things and does nothing, should have been in Politics. The sport is on its knee's and falling away fast, especially the non ' Elite League' which is a total waste of time and the sooner it goes the better. The ' Cook Report' states very little and leaves many more questions than answers and now I fear a total new start for the sport is the only solution.

• Like 1

Lakeside have one of the best web sites, but there still doesn't seem to be any feature that allows for a two-way communication with the promoters.

If speedway fans can't have a say on what is wrong with the sport, how are clubs going to mend what they are doing wrong?

John Perrin, Belle Vue promoter for two decades, used to tell fans "If you don't like it, don't come," when fans had the face to complain to him personally. Fans stopped coming.

If fans don't moan, and just stop attending, clubs are unaware.

Speedway seems so out of time right now. No one is really sure who is their rider, the season is set up with meaningless matches that are designed for the end-of-season Grand Finale of the Play-Offs.

It may help increase the coffers for those that make the last two, but what has it done to gates throughout the season? You know, just by the whiff of it, that some clubs are decreasing their scores, so they can pull out a plum signing at the exact moment... It is like the wrestling lark, when you know the guy getting laid-into will come good.

Speedway seems to have gone the way of those cheap Channel 5 programme, more there for a novelty kick than anything really serious.

But, sadly, the way it's going... the only ending I can see, is a CH5 programme called Speedway Riders On Benefits.

You can't sell a sport like speedway on majority of meaningless matches that are kick abouts for two end of season bashes.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

promoters are the problem! promoters decide the rules , promoters bend the rules , promoters use the rules to there own teams advantage to the detriment of the sport,

independant ruling body is needed,

• Like 4