Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

And here was me thinking the fanzone was out the back of the Prince of Wales pub :drink:

It is. See you there ;)

WORK on Cardiff track starts today .... BSI have been allowed into the Millennium much earlier than usual as the stadium isn't being used since the One Direction concert.

It is true that the pitch is now permanent and there has been some changes to the actual mix of the material going down but that should be a positive rather than a negative.

Don't know the full details yet but there will be plenty of track testing going on between now and July 4. Easier to get moisture in than out!

Next week the track in Horsens for the GP there on August 8 will be laid. They have also bought covers, based on those Olsen has at Vojens.

Serious question. Now that they have spent millions on a permanent pitch, is it likely to put future GP's at risk? Surely not going to be happy if pitch is put at risk?

One would imagine that the idea of going in much earlier this year is a matter of mutual agreement due to the very different situation now.

The extra time allowing the right method to be used for both preserving the pitch AND producing a usable track.

After Warsaw, Ole needs to get it right for July 4 and restore confidence for rest of SGP 2015.

But one can only speculate on the future if it doesn't work out equally well for the Rugby people.
And the state of the pitch when uncovered on July 5/6.

Serious question. Now that they have spent millions on a permanent pitch, is it likely to put future GP's at risk? Surely not going to be happy if pitch is put at risk?

No, the stadium is used for plenty of things that take the pitch up. One Direction had a concert their last week for a start.

NO ... Millennium love the speedway as shown by their agreement for track building to start asap. They have already worked out how to protect the pitch when the speedway track goes in.

NO ... Millennium love the speedway as shown by their agreement for track building to start asap. They have already worked out how to protect the pitch when the speedway track goes in.

Thanks for this, good to hear

NO ... Millennium love the speedway as shown by their agreement for track building to start asap.

Love the speedway? I think more like desperate to keep any sort of event to stem the losses on the stadium, especially since the football has moved away.

The list of events at the Millennium looks very sparse this year.

• Like 1

Love the speedway? I think more like desperate to keep any sort of event to stem the losses on the stadium, especially since the football has moved away.

The list of events at the Millennium looks very sparse this year.

RUGBY World Cup ...

RUGBY World Cup ...

Sure, but that's a one-off, and there hasn't been a lot else other than rugby and speedway this year. The Welsh government basically has to subsidise the Millennium to keep it afloat.

As for protecting the pitch, I fail to see how tonnes of shale dumped on it for several days is going to be good for it, regardless of whether they put down tarpaulins or a bit of plywood.

• Like 1

I believe the type of pitch they have put down is with concerts, speedway and other events in mind as well as holding international rugby. The Ricoh Arena is doing something similar after a gaming exhibition ruined the previous pitch.

I believe the type of pitch they have put down is with concerts, speedway and other events in mind as well as holding international rugby. The Ricoh Arena is doing something similar after a gaming exhibition ruined the previous pitch.

The Millennium now has one of those hybrid pitches with artificial fibres interwoven with real grass, which holds it together better. However, it's one thing for concert goers to be trampling it underfoot, possibly another to have several thousand tonnes of shale compressing it regardless of what's between the pitch and the shale.

Sure, but that's a one-off, and there hasn't been a lot else other than rugby and speedway this year. The Welsh government basically has to subsidise the Millennium to keep it afloat.

As for protecting the pitch, I fail to see how tonnes of shale dumped on it for several days is going to be good for it, regardless of whether they put down tarpaulins or a bit of plywood.

WELL I'm sure the Millennium people will have thought about it!

2015 is not one of those years where blind confidence in others 'having thought' about stuff has worked too well.

Your glass is certainly half full.

• Like 1

RUGBY World Cup ...

Lets get this right Phil.Firstly im very pleased to hear common sense has privailed and they've been allowed in a lot earlier this year, that will give the track plenty of time to bed in as that is what its going to need. But im a little concerned, laying a track on top of grass, artificial or otherwise ? Not sure thats going to work. Now is this purely down to the Rugby World cup and the fact that they will posibly get more money out of that ? Please elaborate ..

I'm sure there'll be a scientifically designed and patented 'pitch protection system' rolled out - also known as few bits of plywood covered with a tarpaulin...