British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Newcastle V Somerset Premier League Sunday 7th June 2015

Newcastle were outgunned yesterday, I think it's as simple as that. decent meeting, though.

I also think that there is a direct relationship between the number of people [not] on the terraces and the ability of the promotion to strengthen the team - so we'd better batten down the hatches for a tough (and possibly short) season.

On the upside I imagine many of the matches will be close. We normally follow the team to away fixtures in the north, but are giving it a miss this season as I can't see the team being competitive away from home, especially as other clubs strengthen up.

Every time I visit Newcastle I wonder why they don't bring the bends in to make the straights slightly shorter and the bends slightly wider. I think it would allow a better entry to the bend at the start of the race and maybe stop the rider on gate one getting pinned.

Def. seeing your point and it may well be that I drop a few meetings this season unless some sort of upturn in fortunes arrive. But tonight I believe it was 15 quid well spent.

Is The End Nigh! I hope not!

Hi Hadrian Dog.. I hope you and the other fans (missing or thinking about quitting) understand that if you stop coming every week because our team of "second strings" are losing then the promoters will start wondering whether to bother themselves financially to bring us our speedway every week. Yes they appear to have got it wrong teamwise and not for the first time IMO but George and the Promotion team may see falling crowds as the fans signal that speedway is dying out at Brough and without healthy support no team can survive. If the "stay at homes" see themselves coming back next season when a better team may be in place then I would say 2015 could end up being the last time Newcastle had a speedway and 2016 may be a silent year speedway-wise. I think the next time Brough closes its doors to Speedway that will be the end of the stadium for speedway and a close down will be the end, Brough will never again stage speedway. The region does not have another suitable venue.

So take your choice walk away or come back walking away will sound the deathknell. I will be at the track every week adding my support even though I would like a winning team. If the promoters get support maybe 2016 will be a better team and a more successful season.

So please come back and support the team/promoters now in 2015. if you wait it could be too late. I would hate having to add Newcastle Diamonds to my Defunct Tracks website

Edited by dantodan
  • Like 3

Hi Hadrian Dog.. I hope you and the other fans (missing or thinking about quitting) understand that if you stop coming every week because our team of "second strings" are losing then the promoters will start wondering whether to bother themselves financially to bring us our speedway every week. Yes they appear to have got it wrong teamwise and not for the first time IMO but George and the Promotion team may see falling crowds as the fans signal that speedway is dying out at Brough and without healthy support no team can survive. If the "stay at homes" see themselves coming back next season when a better team may be in place then I would say 2015 could end up being the last time Newcastle had a speedway and 2016 may be a silent year speedway-wise. I think the next time Brough closes its doors to Speedway that will be the end of the stadium for speedway and a close down will be the end, Brough will never again stage speedway. The region does not have another suitable venue.

So take your choice walk away or come back walking away will sound the deathknell. I will be at the track every week adding my support even though I would like a winning team. If the promoters get support maybe 2016 will be a better team and a more successful season.

So please come back and support the team/promoters now in 2015. if you wait it could be too late. I would hate having to add Newcastle Diamonds to my Defunct Tracks website

danto

Hi
just checked out you defunct web site
just to let you know that the link on the Exeter county Ground site for my photo’s has changed it is now
Great site i only hope you haven’t got to add anymore
Regards
idh
Ian Hitchcock

Emotional blackmail aint the way forward though... You cant expect unhappy people to fork out to watch something they dont want too surely?? I think talk of it closing down is a bit ott but laying the blame at the punters door is just as ott Imo

We were talking last night and a few of us agreed we didnt really enjoy it but came because that what we did, the speedway of the 60s 70s, 80s and 90s hooked you in to the sport, the passing, the tracks, the rules etc and it became a religion, now speedway on the whole is shambolic excuse for a sport with nowhere near as much pull or excitement.... So the diehards keep the crowds semi ok, but these diehards are getting older and older, when they arnt there in 10-20 years time there will def be no speedway because at present it simply doesnt attract many new fans to replace the diehards.

I go most weeks because i always have done, not because i want too lol.... How sad is that!!

• Like 4

Emotional blackmail aint the way forward though... You cant expect unhappy people to fork out to watch something they dont want too surely?? I think talk of it closing down is a bit ott but laying the blame at the punters door is just as ott Imo

We were talking last night and a few of us agreed we didnt really enjoy it but came because that what we did, the speedway of the 60s 70s, 80s and 90s hooked you in to the sport, the passing, the tracks, the rules etc and it became a religion, now speedway on the whole is shambolic excuse for a sport with nowhere near as much pull or excitement.... So the diehards keep the crowds semi ok, but these diehards are getting older and older, when they arnt there in 10-20 years time there will def be no speedway because at present it simply doesnt attract many new fans to replace the diehards.

I go most weeks because i always have done, not because i want too lol.... How sad is that!!

Sad,but I have to agree with you and Ithink a few others would too.

Summed up exactly my feelings - if you want me back put out a team which excites and is competitive. If you can't don't expect me to be back as speedway is no longer holds a love where I wouldn't miss for anything (there was a time). The last couple of years I have been scratching my head at the start of the season when the team has been anounced (and proven right) and it was even worse this year as pratically the same team have been selected. If that's all the promotion can afford then fine but don't expect me or a lot of other old hands returning and as for new people coming in there is not a hope in hell of that happening.

• Like 1

spot on post, but as you say, a lot of punters go, because they always have,,, so maybe some of the blame should lie with them !!!

they should bring their families along, kicking and screaming, if they have to...

and if the crowd goes, what's the point of sponsors advertising ??? ;-)

This is the best team available within budget for a sunday track. Now that Peterborough ride sundays as well there are less riders to choose from who are free of other commitments such as Poland on Sundays.

It has been suggested before that we return to Monday nights which would increase the number of riders available for a team place. In the past it has been said that we get better crowds on a sunday.

As crowds are dropping on sundays and there are other attractions on a sunday at various times of the season -20/20 cricket, rugby league, football on tv, rugby union, ice hockey, family day out, metrocentre, x factor, strictly come dancing, etc then maybe it is time to think of changing race night back to a monday

Edited by toontrader
  • Like 1

Looking at it like that, it doesn't look a bad idea and, we could be on sky every week :-)

Same for us. We gave up season tickets last year, but the only meetings we missed were when we were on holiday. But people who have stood near to us for years and years have drifted away and just don't come any more. I guess they may all have different reasons but at the end of the day if it's not that they can no longer afford it, the reason must relate to the quality of the product, whether of itself or in comparison with everything else that's out there.

Speedway can get under the skin - my elder son is 23 and lives in London, but every Sunday I have to text him the teams, the condition of the track, who the ref is, and the weather, and then after every heat!

• Like 1

This is the best team available within budget foe a sunday track. Now that Peterborough ride sundays as well there are less riders to choose from who are free of other commitments such as Poland on Sundays.

It ahs been suggested before that we return to Monday nights which would increase the number of riders available for a team place. In the past it has been said that we get better crowds on a sunday.

As crowds are dropping on sundays and there are other attractions on a sunday at various times of the season -20/20 cricket, rugby league, football on tv, rugby union, ice hockey, family day out, metrocentre, x factor, strictly come dancing, etc then maybe it is time to think of changing race night back to a monday

I'm not sure changing race days would make a fat lot of difference in terms of available riders to sign. We certainly couldn't to be paying a Polish rider to fly over here every week so not sure who the riders are that currently ride abroad and might be available to us if we moved to Monday.

Just looking back at an old Speedway Star annual from 1991. There were 9 teams in the Elite League. 91 different riders rode for those clubs during the season. There were 17 National League clubs (as it was then). 189 different riders rode for those clubs. There was NO doubling up. So that's nearly 300 riders appearing in Britain that year.

Compare that to this season so far: 8 clubs in the Elite League 33 different riders (excluding this doubling up). 13 in the PL 99 riders. So 130 odd. Ok so we have a few months left but safe to say there'll be less than half the number of riders competing in Britain this year than there was in 91 and it's only going to get worse. Massive problem imo.

• Like 1

Get the track providing good racing, & the slightly weak team will be less of a problem.

When I used to go, latterly there was very good Racing at Brough Park.

It must be said though, that when you are fighting the elements, it can be very difficult.

• Like 1