Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Maybe my career as a TV critic will be short-lived :rofl:

HaHa CHR.

Don't give up the day job. :t::rofl: :rofl:

Primetime BBC One, probably watched by more people than the whole speedway season added together on sky and a better advert for speedway than the June 1 sky meeting to boot.

It's a win win!

How many people watched it and said, "We used to have a speedway track in XXX*". Used to amaze me in the Tim Stone era the people who would say to me, "we used to have a rack in Newport" when I mentioned speedway in Newpport.

*XXX = there local town or city.

Maybe I am totally wrong and will be ready to admit it if people disagree with me, but I just felt that anyone watching who had never seen or heard of speedway would not have been encouraged to want to see more. Lakeside is far from atmospheric and the place was almost empty, which hardly gave the impression of a viable sport.

Maybe I am totally wrong and will be ready to admit it if people disagree with me, but I just felt that anyone watching who had never seen or heard of speedway would not have been encouraged to want to see more. Lakeside is far from atmospheric and the place was almost empty, which hardly gave the impression of a viable sport.

Because it isn't !!

Pearson and Tatum have been giving us clues for years... telling their viewers about Charlie in the pits (who seems very popular with the riders).

• Like 1

The place was almost empty because a lot of the crowds scenes were not at a meeting, just actors drafted in. When do you ever see a Speedwáy crowd looking like that lot?

The place was almost empty because a lot of the crowds scenes were not at a meeting, just actors drafted in. When do you ever see a Speedwáy crowd looking like that lot?

Perhaps clubs should draft in those actors when they are on Sky. It would help make the crowd scenes look more healthy.

Or, promote the event and charge a fiver - or for free as Lakeside did some time back

I knew that :party: