British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
uk_martin

Teterow 2016

I've heard that Teterow is to get a GP next year, in place of Tampere. Great news if true.

I was impressed with the track when i went there a couple of weeks ago. Although it's a bit of an "in the woods" kind of location (it makes Malilla seem positively urban) the racing there is good and it's well worth the trip. Can't wait to give it a spin next year if the reports I'm getting are right.

:-)

I thought Tampere had a 3 year contract.

I thought Tampere had a 3 year contract.

Maybe there's been mutual agreement that the GP is too crap to bother with any more. Crowd was poor as well.

Would rather it be in Güstrow.Better race track and the town is better as well.Personally don't like Teterow.Saw a few boring meeting(and it has a reputation as a bad track),but was told a couple of years back by a mate that it had got better and went for last years U21 SWC meet.What happened there was a bit of a protest about the track and the FIM guys including Stekkers came out for an inspection........But at least it is in the right area of Germany,unlike Gelsenkirchen

Also seen some 'pie in the sky' stuff from teterow before.I have a programme from about 10 years ago with plans for a super stadium.Don't thik hardly any of that has become rality.Was also news about them hosting an Ice Speedway meeting some years ago and nothing came of that either because they totally messed up how much ice was needed and the costs exploded

Edited by iris123

Would rather it be in Güstrow...

Yeah maybe. I'm told that Güstrow have contracts with One Sport that will keep them fully occupied (& financially committed) to rule out taking on another major event.

Yeah maybe. I'm told that Güstrow have contracts with One Sport that will keep them fully occupied (& financially committed) to rule out taking on another major event.

Personally think it makes sense.The competition comes cheaper(Phil Rising and common sense say's it Must/should)and the local riders can compete.I still think the ticket price to cover the cost exhorbitant,but wonder if the area can cope with two competitions and can Teterow cover the higher costs of a GP and still keep ticket prices reasonable?And then there is imo the question of a track that is as slick if not slicker than Vojens and last year the complaints that it was breaking up.Think there were a number of crashes and near crashes all at the same place.Michi Härtel was out of the meeting in his first race......

Last year we were told that BSI / IMG are working on a SGP in Berlin again. Is this off the table now, or not?

• Like 1

Only seen one meeting in Teterow, so hard to have a proper opinion, but seemed a bit big and flat to me. But would rather see Speedway on a proper track and fans standing on grass banking, than a crap track in a modern seated stadium. Hopefully they'll arrange it when there's a meeting on that wonderful grass circuit next door, that would certainly help the attendance figures.

... would rather see Speedway on a proper track and fans standing on grass banking, than a crap track in a modern seated stadium....

That's what you'll get...other than of course those areas that get seated temporary stands.

Seems like a backward step. Thought we'd seen the back of "speedway in a field"....

Seems like a backward step. Thought we'd seen the back of "speedway in a field"....

Always seem to have been lots of promises about Germany down the years - Berlin Olympic Stadium etc.., but you invariably end with Norden, Pocking or Gelsenkirchen. :rolleyes:

Teterow would seem to be a very basic stadium even by the standards of GP tracks in the middle of nowhere, and hardly seems to be any sort of step forward.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I also remember my first visit there.Thought i'd do the usual of getting the train and then at the train station get a taxi to the track.Only problem was there was at the time only 2 taxis in the town and only 1 on duty at the time and I had to tramp through the place looking for him in some café(although that is too exotic a word for the place really) :rofl:

Always seem to have been lots of promises about Germany down the years - Berlin Olympic Stadium etc.., but you invariably end with Norden, Pocking or Gelsenkirchen. :rolleyes:

Teterow would seem to be a very basic stadium even by the standards of GP tracks in the middle of nowhere, and hardly seems to be any sort of step forward.

Teterow is worse than Norden, or Pocking, since those were decent stadia, while Teterow is just a race track with some grass banking around.

See for Yourself and compare these two Pictures of Norden and Teterow

The first is a picture of the quite impressive Halbemond Stadium, NORDEN, venue of the 1983 World Final

motodrom_01.jpeg

Now compare this with Teterow's Arena Am Kellerholz,

see here (the picture shows the track and the club's chairman Adolf Schlaak) doc6d1qwflvtn6sxdqz9fq__file6d1lp5sxjc3q

In my opinion Teterow is a very poor choice as a SGP venue, since this track is not known for producing very good racing either.

• Like 1

Even your picture of Norden is out of date isn't it?Think they now have nice plastic seating bought cheaply from Werder Bremen or some other club?So the difference is even bigger

Yes, You are right. Norden now has installed some modern seating, which they got from Werder Bremen when the Football Club renovated the Weser Stadium a few years ago.

Anyway, I posted these two pictures just to indicate that we do have quite impressive speedway stadia here in Germany (yet even Norden was criticised by many for being a poor venue for a world final), and now BSI/IMG chose a place like Teterow to host a SGP.