British Speedway Forum
weatherwatcher

2 More To The Long List Of This Years Injured Riders.

Just been reading the SCB site and now we have just added 2 more riders to the long list of riders who have suffered injuries this season.

Nathan Greaves, with fractured Tiba and Fiblia that has had to be pinned below the Knee and above the Ankle. Plus Bradley Wilson Dean who rode on after the crash, after going to hospital later after complaining of stomach pains he was found to have internal bleeding.

The way things are going we will be very short of riders in all the leagues this season.

Who ever is out there on the injured list I wish you all a speedy recovery. There are far to many to mention them all by name.

Just been reading the SCB site and now we have just added 2 more riders to the long list of riders who have suffered injuries this season.

Nathan Greaves, with fractured Tiba and Fiblia that has had to be pinned below the Knee and above the Ankle. Plus Bradley Wilson Dean who rode on after the crash, after going to hospital later after complaining of stomach pains he was found to have internal bleeding.

The way things are going we will be very short of riders in all the leagues this season.

Who ever is out there on the injured list I wish you all a speedy recovery. There are far to many to mention them all by name.

It's time somebody asked WHY? In my opinion.

It's time somebody asked WHY? In my opinion.

It can only be the modern day bikes. This amount of injuries is not acceptable imo..

• Like 1

There are far to many to mention them all by name.

Why don't you try?

And then do the same for last season and the season before and so on for say the last ten years.

Then we could do a comparison to see if there genuinely are more injuries or whether it is simply people's perception.

• Like 1

Why don't you try?

And then do the same for last season and the season before and so on for say the last ten years.

Then we could do a comparison to see if there genuinely are more injuries or whether it is simply people's perception.

Do you not think a fairer comparison would be todays injuries compared to those of the Sixties, Seventies or Eighties. Say 2014 injuries against 1964, 1974 and 1984.

I don't know - but I think there will be far more injuries these days.

Perhaps one of our Computer Gurus on here could help with that.

I know I couldn't do it.

As BluPanther says - I think it is the Bikes - particularly the 'Laydown Engines'.

• Like 1

You beat me to it WK. I feel sure the injury situation is worse today than 40-50 years ago, but it is only an uninformed viewpoint.

Why don't you try?

Here are the figures for the Elite League to the World Cup Break (cf my letter in last week's Star):-

2014 (to June 10 exc Birmingham matches later expunged)

........Guest/RR used for injured rider 30 times in 58 matches or 0.52 per match

2015 Guest/RR used for injured rider 71 times in 49 matches or 1.45 per match

I think that may also be evidence that last year was low (but of course there were still posts on here in 2014 about the exceptional number of injuries). So I agree with the general point you are making, but at the moment is does genuinely look as if 2015 is a very bad year (at least in the EL)

I think Doodson's, the insurance broker who cover every meeting, would tell you there are no more, no less, claims this year than any other.

They will most certainly provide the BSPA with a detailed summary, that's for sure.

I think it's because we hear more about injuries due to this internet thingy. I would think the safety measures like air fences are offset by how much quicker the bikes are than 50 years ago when I wee a lad at Old Meadowbank.

I think Doodson's, the insurance broker who cover every meeting, would tell you there are no more, no less, claims this year than any other.

They will most certainly provide the BSPA with a detailed summary, that's for sure.

Would they also have the figures for riders injured while racing abroad e.g. Rory?

Would they also have the figures for riders injured while racing abroad e.g. Rory?

That's another factor, racing in a million countries 8 days a week!

I ersonally think the whole thing boils down o the fact that these days the bikes are far to fast and to hard to take any sort of control over, once something starts to go pear shaped. Also the young rider are racing well above their limits, they are out there trying to make a big impresion and I afraid that most of the time they are ending up putting themselves in hospital.

Something needs looking at within the sport, on why there are so many incidents, not just the ones that put the riders out for weeks on end, but also the near misses.

We only have to look at Monday night, in the British Final, to see young riders trying to race above the quality of riding that they are used to, they where going out to win, and we saw more stoppages in the first hand full of heats than you will ever see in a meeting at any level. They are up against riders of a differnt cailbre and they think they can go out and beat the likes of Tai, only to end up siting in a big heap on he track. We where lucky tha here were far less real serious injuries on Monday han just poor Ben Barker.

Still waiting with baited breath to hear how he is. Is it no news is good news, I hope so.

• Like 1

Last time I heard Mr Sky deal fixer was also in with Doodson, so he would know, used to be George Burrows who covered the Insurance.