British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greytiger

Billy Bales

Does anyone happen to know wether the old speedway rider Billy Bales still lives in the norfolk area

He certainly does.

I never got to see Billy Bales myself (to young), but my Dad, by all accounts he was quite spectacular a bit like Peter Craven another rider I never got the chance to see who I would have love to have seen.

I believe that Billy's son Ray rode as well not as good but I did see him ride for Leicester in the seventies.

Billy was a bit like Peter Craven. (I shouldn't mention this really but there are some good action photos of Billy in a new publication called Norwich Speedway. :wink: He also features on the front cover).

Billy's main problem was that he could never really get to grips with small tracks. When I first started going to speedway at the 280 yard New Cross track he was, quite frankly, just hopeless and I couldn't understand why he had such a good reputation. But he was a different rider on big tracks like his own Norwich and I did later get to see him on other tracks and could appreciate his style and what made him so good.

He was, of course, always very popular in Norfolk at both Norwich and Yarmouth. He graduated from cycle speedway and in his first-ever league match (as a 17 year old) he scored 10 points.

I believe he finished his career at Sheffield after Norwich closed in 1964.

Yes Sheffield is where my Dad use to watch him along with Clive Featherby, who at the time was my Dads favourite rider.

I'd just like to speak up for Ray Bales, Billy's son.

I never saw his dad ride but Ray was the absolute biz and was the best rider in the National League championship winning 1979 Mildenhall side. Big track or small.

He is an electrician in Norwich still, I believe.