British Speedway Forum

Dagenham Speedway

The 1938 season at Dagenham was marred by two fatalities which happened in quick succession.
The first was on May 19, 1938, when Dagenham rider Harry Rogers died from his injuries.
Just three months later, on August 11, 1938, David Jackson, who was also a New Cross junior, sustained injuries from which he died.
Is there more in-depth information available about these riders: in regard to their accidents, ages and how long they had been riding?
Also, were they members of the Dagenham team then competing in the "Sunday Dirt Track League"?
Edited by Guest

The 1938 season at Dagenham was marred by two fatalities which happened in quick succession.

The first was on May 19, 1938, when Dagenham rider Harry Rogers died from his injuries.

Just three months later, on August 11, 1938, David Jackson, who was also a New Cross junior, sustained injuries from which he died.

Is there more in-depth information available about these riders: in regard to their accidents, ages and how long they had been riding?

Also, were they members of the Dagenham team then competing in the "Sunday Dirt Track League"?

Will go through my Dagenham programmes & see what i can find

I think that at one time Frank Hodgson and Gil Craven were members of the Dagenham team but not sure it they were in the 1938 Sunday Dirt Track League squad?

Edited by Guest

Frank Hodgson was captain. I don't think Gil Craven was in the 1938 team. Malcolm Craven may have been. Not sure without checking. Other leading riders that year certainly included jim Baylais, 'Crusty' Pye and Nobby Stock.

On the LONDON SPEEDWAYS website, the late respected historian Bryan Tungate gives this as the 1938 Dagenham rider squad:

SUNDAY AMATEUR DIRT TRACK LEAGUE

DAGENHAM: Frank Hodgson, Jim Baylais, Ed 'Crusty' Pye, Nobby Stock, Harry Rogers, George Craig, Frank Lawrence, Dave Anderson, Gil Craven, Spike Rhiando
Edited by Guest

Taken from The Essex Newsman newspaper dated Saturday 20th August 1938

SPEEDWAY FATALITY

CORONER AND A COINCIDENCE

Coroner Mr.L.F.Beccle held an inquest at Romford on Monday on David Nicholas Walter Jackson, aged 22, a hop merchant, of Woldringham, Surrey, who died in Oldchurch Hospital from injuries received on the Dagenham Speedway.

The deceased's father said his son had had considerable motor cycling experience, but had only recently taken up speedway racing.

William.S.E.Wenston, groundsman at the track, said the deceased was one of a number of riders practising, and was making his second circuit, when his machine wobbled and stopped dead, throwing him over the handlebars.

Norman.J.Wolsey, of Streatham said he was watching the riders, and it seemed to him that the front tyre of Jackson's machine burst as he came round a bend. He was not travelling fast. As witness went to Jackson's assistance he noticed that the cover of the tyre was off the rim, but when he returned from the Hospital where he had accompanied Jackson he saw the cover had been put back. There was a great strain of tyres as the machines went round bends.

P.C Turner said that when he arrived after the accident the machine had been taken away.

Henry.L.Thornton, manager of Dagenham Speedway said that in eight years there had been twelve fatal accidents on the twenty speedway tracks in the country.

The Coroner: “That makes about half a fatality to each track, yet yours has had two in three months. Perhaps it is a coincidence”. He had seen cases where covers come off wheels.

Dr F.E.Camps said the death was due to cerebal haemorrhage, secondary to a blow on the head.

The Coroner adjourned the inquest for inquiries to be made concerning the motor cycle, and was informed later that the cover and tube were in perfect condition.

A verdict of Accidental Death was recorded.

• Like 1

And from the same newspaper dated Saturday 28th May 1938

SPEEDWAY DEATH

A verdict of Accidental Death was recorded at an inquest at Romford on Monday on Henry Frederick Rogers, 24, of Grundy Street, Poplar who was fatally hurt when his motor cycle was in a collision during a race at Dagenham Speedway.

The coroner said he was satisfied that the riders did not take undue risks. The track was perfectly constructed.

• Like 1

Alvin 'Spike' Rhiando, who was in the 1938 Dagenham rider pool, originally first appeared in UK speedway in the early 1930s at Stamford Bridge when he was known as AJ Franchetti. He only appeared in a few second-half races at the London track.

Later in the era along with other London-based riders, mainly from the Wimbledon team, Rhiando rode under his own name in open meetings circa 1933-34 on grass speedways in East Anglia.

Alvin 'Spike' Rhiando, who was in the 1938 Dagenham rider pool, originally first appeared in UK speedway in the early 1930s at Stamford Bridge when he was known as AJ Franchetti. He only appeared in a few second-half races at the London track.

Later in the era along with other London-based riders, mainly from the Wimbledon team, Rhiando rode under his own name in open meetings circa 1933-34 on grass speedways in East Anglia.

Gustix going on to another subject ,were Farndon,Huxley, and Duggan unlucky not to be world champions ?going through my research and people i respect taking there view Duggan certainly was what do you think? also Bobbath,and Norbold ( not his hole!!) great historians awesome knowledge all of you nice to hear what your take is on it.Duggan my uncle said he was mustard, after the war the photos i have of him he looked like an old man but his racing style awesome up there with Olsen/ Mauger in that respect. Edited by sidney

Thanks for the message Sidney and this is an absorbing subject. I would love to give my views.opinion but will not - I will just be torn to shreds by my usual detractors whatever I say.

But I do appreciate what you say an did see Vic Duggan in action when he came back to the UK for Harringay in 1947 following the war years.

Unfortunately, while I would also love to have seen them race both Tom Farndon and Vic Huxley were in pre-war seasons - last in action some 10 years before I first saw speedway at New Cross in 1946.

I am sure my good friend Norbold will love to be involved in any debate - A NEW THREAD is needed as it whatever more is said it will become lost under its present Dagenham title banner.

Thanks for the message Sidney and this is an absorbing subject. I would love to give my views.opinion but will not - I will just be torn to shreds by my usual detractors whatever I say.

But I do appreciate what you say an did see Vic Duggan in action when he came back to the UK for Harringay in 1947 following the war years.

Unfortunately, while I would also love to have seen them race both Tom Farndon and Vic Huxley were in pre-war seasons - last in action some 10 years before I first saw speedway at New Cross in 1946.

I am sure my good friend Norbold will love to be involved in any debate - A NEW THREAD is needed as it whatever more is said it will become lost under its present Dagenham title banner.

Dont be silly give me a taste anyway? if not do a new thread i will support you you do add a bit to the forum like alot i was so surprised how much older Duggan looked after the war great rider though. Edited by sidney

As you suggested Sidney, I have created a new thread as -

Vic Duggan, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon - World Title Credentials?

Let's revert this thread back to comments on Dagenham please.

Here is some more background on 1930s track Dagenham. Some interesting photos too.

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Dagenham%20Speedway.htm

Edited by Guest

Is this thread only about the 1938 season at Dagenham or any season?

Is this thread only about the 1938 season at Dagenham or any season?

It was meant to be 1938 but I will change heading to just Dagenham Speedway.

The 1938 season is interesting for the fact that not only did Dagenham race at the track,but Romford and also West Ham Hawks used the track as their "home".Could be some sort of record having 3 teams out of the same track?

• Like 1