British Speedway Forum

Dagenham Speedway

The 1938 season is interesting for the fact that not only did Dagenham race at the track,but Romford and also West Ham Hawks used the track as their "home".Could be some sort of record having 3 teams out of the same track?

Iris lets get straight to the point you usually do!! Tom great rider fate took over what is your take on Huxley and Duggan? Edited by sidney

Iris lets get straight to the point you usually do!! Tom great rider fate took over what is your take on Huxley and Duggan?

I am biased as a Wimbledon fan of course.I think one season Wimbledon could have had the top 3 riders in the world in Huxley,Tauser and Lamont.Lamont and Tauser both won what could be thought of as world championships and Huxley finished second in one

Iris lets get straight to the point you usually do!! Tom great rider fate took over what is your take on Huxley and Duggan?

Sidney - I have set up a seprate thread for Farndon, Huxley and Duggan - yet you are posting in here. All a waste of time on my part by the look of it?

I am biased as a Wimbledon fan of course.I think one season Wimbledon could have had the top 3 riders in the world in Huxley,Tauser and Lamont.Lamont and Tauser both won what could be thought of as world championships and Huxley finished second in one

It looks as though Sidney has "steered" you into the wrong thread Doug - please see the previous comment by me - about a NEW thread that I created at Sidney's request!!

There was also some speedway midget car racing at Dagenham in the 1930s. The reference is in the third paragraph of a rather lengthy semi-technical article at :-

http://www.bsafwdc.co.uk/page21.php

Edited by Guest

The 1938 season is interesting for the fact that not only did Dagenham race at the track,but Romford and also West Ham Hawks used the track as their "home".Could be some sort of record having 3 teams out of the same track?

These Links may be of use in regard to pre-WW2 activity at Dagenham:

Sunday Dirt Track League 1938

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/532/sunday-amateur-dirt-track-league

West Ham Hawks pre-1939

scroll down for some West Ham Hawks photos

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/West%20Ham.htm

Romford

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/thread/243/romford

Gone through my Dagenham programmes, only got 7, but very little reading in them & no news at all relating to this topic

On the LONDON SPEEDWAYS website, the late respected historian Bryan Tungate gives this as the 1938 Dagenham rider squad:

SUNDAY AMATEUR DIRT TRACK LEAGUE

DAGENHAM: Frank Hodgson, Jim Baylais, Ed 'Crusty' Pye, Nobby Stock, Harry Rogers, George Craig, Frank Lawrence, Dave Anderson, Gil Craven, Spike Rhiando

Information as provided to by the respected hsitorian the late Bryan Tungate on http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/

DAGENHAM

1936 - DAGENHAM: Frank Hodgson, Ivor 'Aussie' Powell, Charlie Challis, Roy Duke

1937 - DAGENHAM: Frank Hodgson, Roy Duke,

1938 - DAGENHAM: given elsewhere in thread

1939- OPEN LICENCE: DAGENHAM: Dave Anderson, Gil Craven, Frank Lawrence

Edited by Guest

There is a photograph of the 1936 Dagenham team in that excellent book, "Speedway in the South East". From left to right they are Snowy Blackman, Roy Duke, Frank Hodgson, A. Sawdy, Jim Boyd and Fred Quick.

There is a photograph of the 1936 Dagenham team in that excellent book, "Speedway in the South East". From left to right they are Snowy Blackman, Roy Duke, Frank Hodgson, A. Sawdy, Jim Boyd and Fred Quick.

What a great name for a Speedway Rider. :t::)

What a great name for a Speedway Rider. :t::)

There was also a Bob Quick in the late 1940s - offhand I think that he may have been a South African? And there was also at one-time a rider named Ken Last!

EDIT: There was a Bob Quick - http://edinburghspeedway.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/bob-quick.html

Sadly, we have this in the wrong thread - but great fun. Nothing at all to do with Dagenham!!!

Edited by Guest

There was also a Bob Quick in the late 1940s - offhand I think that he may have been a South African? And there was also at one-time a rider named Ken Last!

EDIT: There was a Bob Quick - http://edinburghspeedway.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/bob-quick.html

Sadly, we have this in the wrong thread - but great fun. Nothing at all to do with Dagenham!!!

Interesting though - and as you say - fun. :t:

On 09/07/2015 at 7:24 PM, iris123 said:

In 2002 saddlebow road was the home to Boston, King's Lynn stars & kids teams. To update the topic, I have just picked up a silver 1936 Dagenham speedway trophy, won by the king of the 'daggers' Frank Hodgson. It will go nicely with my original badge from the same period.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cityrebel said:

In 2002 saddlebow road was the home to Boston, King's Lynn stars & kids teams. To update the topic, I have just picked up a silver 1936 Dagenham speedway trophy, won by the king of the 'daggers' Frank Hodgson. It will go nicely with my original badge from the same period.

Yes,but that is the two teams,even though one has a junior team as well.I was thinking Romford,West Ham and Dagenham =3 different clubs

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Yes,but that is the two teams,even though one has a junior team as well.I was thinking Romford,West Ham and Dagenham =3 different clubs

Romford's pre war team were a nomadic team, just like Boston and the current cradley. It doesn't give the sport a lot of credibility allowing made up sides to enter league racing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iris123 said:

Although it is generally thought that West Ham Hawks ran their home meetings at Dagenham in 1938, I can find no evidence to support this. In the local newspapers their home meetings are listed being held at West Ham Speedway on Friday's starting at 8-15pm, and in the few match reports that appear there is no mention of Dagenham.  There were also some programmes of the Hawks sold recently on E-Bay showing they ran at Custom House. 

I wasn't aware that Dagenham's track had lights. If they didn't then they couldn't have staged meetings in the evening.  Can anybody shed any light on this? 

Edited by HertsRacer

8 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Romford's pre war team were a nomadic team, just like Boston and the current cradley. It doesn't give the sport a lot of credibility allowing made up sides to enter league racing.

Agree with you totally on this

4 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Although it is generally thought that West Ham Hawks ran their home meetings at Dagenham in 1938, I can find no evidence to support this. In the local newspapers their home meetings are listed being held at West Ham Speedway on Friday's starting at 8-15pm, and in the few match reports that appear there is no mention of Dagenham.  There were also some programmes of the Hawks sold recently on E-Bay showing they ran at Custom House. 

I wasn't aware that Dagenham's track had lights. If they didn't then they couldn't have staged meetings in the evening.  Can anybody shed any light on this? 

Oh no,have I been taken in by this?Good research with that