British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
maidentales

Speedway Autograph Book 1960s-1970s

Hi. I'm new to the forum.

I thought I would share an exciting discovery. My gran, aged 89, has given me an authograph book of speedway riders from 1960s to 1970s when she went to the speedway regularly and ventured into the pits to get the rider's autographs.

The book of 62 autographs includes names such as:

Gote Nordin; Oyuino. S Burg.; Peter Vandenberg ; Col Cottrell; Bob Andrews; Roger Hill; Jack Biggs; GordonGuasco; Ivan Mauger ; Ray Wilson; Terry Betts; Les Owen; Jim Pirey; Tony Lomas; Rick France; Graham Plant; John Boulger; Anders?; Alan Cowland; Ronnie Moore; Christer Lofavist; Jim McMillan;Eric Bodcock; Pete Bailey; RonMountford; Dave Younghusband; Alan Tay; Danny Mullins?; Nigel Bodcock; Cliff Evans; Bill McMillan; Jan Simensen; Howard Cole; Eric Broadbelt; Arnold Haley; Clive Featherby; Pawel Waloszek; Antoni Woryna; Ken Ayres; Ken Kinford?; Dave Jessup; Brian Leonard; Geoff Bouelef?; Anatoly Kuzmin; Bob Rigby; Bruce Ford; Vladimir Paznikov; Grogory Chlynovsky; Colin Pratt; Ole Olsen; Bill Wirebrand; Pete Smith; Mike Cake.

Altogether there are 62 signatures, some of which my gran has named (the majority of them) and a minority unnamed. I wonder if this brings back any memories from other forum members. I am going to go through those I can distinguish and write down where they are now (if they are still with us), such as: Peter Vandenberg (born 2.9.35) - Wolves 1966-1970 - died April 1987.

If anyone has any information on the other speedway riders, that would be appreciated so I can let my gran know what happened to the people she used to cheer on from the stands and join in the pit out of the love of the sport.

Many thanks.

Hi. I'm new to the forum.

I thought I would share an exciting discovery. My gran, aged 89, has given me an authograph book of speedway riders from 1960s to 1970s when she went to the speedway regularly and ventured into the pits to get the rider's autographs.

The book of 62 autographs includes names such as:

Gote Nordin; Oyuino. S Burg.; Peter Vandenberg ; Col Cottrell; Bob Andrews; Roger Hill; Jack Biggs; GordonGuasco; Ivan Mauger ; Ray Wilson; Terry Betts; Les Owen; Jim Pirey; Tony Lomas; Rick France; Graham Plant; John Boulger; Anders?; Alan Cowland; Ronnie Moore; Christer Lofavist; Jim McMillan;Eric Bodcock; Pete Bailey; RonMountford; Dave Younghusband; Alan Tay; Danny Mullins?; Nigel Bodcock; Cliff Evans; Bill McMillan; Jan Simensen; Howard Cole; Eric Broadbelt; Arnold Haley; Clive Featherby; Pawel Waloszek; Antoni Woryna; Ken Ayres; Ken Kinford?; Dave Jessup; Brian Leonard; Geoff Bouelef?; Anatoly Kuzmin; Bob Rigby; Bruce Ford; Vladimir Paznikov; Grogory Chlynovsky; Colin Pratt; Ole Olsen; Bill Wirebrand; Pete Smith; Mike Cake.

Altogether there are 62 signatures, some of which my gran has named (the majority of them) and a minority unnamed. I wonder if this brings back any memories from other forum members. I am going to go through those I can distinguish and write down where they are now (if they are still with us), such as: Peter Vandenberg (born 2.9.35) - Wolves 1966-1970 - died April 1987.

If anyone has any information on the other speedway riders, that would be appreciated so I can let my gran know what happened to the people she used to cheer on from the stands and join in the pit out of the love of the sport.

Many thanks.

Hi Maidentales- I met up with Brian Leonard the other month for a meal and he`s well and ok.

Some names not quite correct jim Airey Anders Michanek ? Eric Boocock Nigel Boocock(recently passed away)Geoff Bouchard ?

Bo Wirebrand

Seem to be quite a few Leicester and Coventry riders so I'm wondering if Ken Kinford could be Ken McKinlay? Not surprising it's difficult to decipher names the way some riders scrawl their signature. :lol:

Colin Pratt is still going strong and I believe now co-promoter at Swindon after spending a number of years at Coventry.

Edited by Gemini

Christer Lofqvist

I also came across a book at a car boot sale a few weeks ago, for which I paid 50p (The guy wanted £1). I'm pretty sure that the signatures are authentic, as I've compared them with some that I already have.

Whilst not all speedway autographs, they are an interesting mixture, and well worth the 50p that I gave. Amongst them are Alan Harris, Ron Harris & Tommy Docherty (ex-Chelsea FC); Glen Mason, Pip Wedge, Ronnie Carroll (Singer in the 50's) & Des O'Connor; Peter Murray (ex-Wimbledon speedway); Alfie Bass (Actor in Bootsie & Snudge); Tommy Steele and at the time his fiancé Ann Donaghue; Alec Bedser & Eric Bedser (Cricket); McIntyer (probably cricket, as it's on the same page as the Bedser's); Tony Ragleor & Sibby Raid (no idea who or what they are/were); Colin Hicks (singing brother of Tommy Steele); Brian Crutcher (ex-Southampton speedway); Bill Osborne (I think he might have been Rye House speedway); Alf Hagon (ex-West Ham speedway); Tommy Sweetman (ex-Wolverhampton speedway); A.Harrop (no idea who or what this person did); Split Waterman (ex-New Cross speedway); John Bishop (ex-Oxford speedway); Peter Moore & Ronnie Moore (ex-Wimbledon speedway); John Debbage (ex-Norwich speedway); Bob Andrews (ex-Cradley Heath speedway); Reg Reeves (ex-Rayleigh speedway); Tyburn Gallows (ex-West Ham speedway); June Cunningham (Actress), Eric Williams (ex-Wembley speedway); Ted Brine & Bob Warner (both speedway); Igor Baranov (Alleged Russian rider!!); Al Askew(No idea who he is); Reg Luckhurst & Roy Trigg (ex-Wimbledon speedway); Steve Collins (ex-Rye House junior); Pete Jarman (ex-Eastbourne speedway); John Mills (ex-Long Eaton speedway); Leo McAuliffe (ex-Oxford speedway); Ray Cresp (ex-Ipswich speedway); Dick Bradley (ex-Southampton speedway); Jim Tebby (ex-Oxford speedway); Gil Goldfinch (ex-Newcastle speedway); John Fitzpatrick (ex-Yarmouth speedway); Ron How (ex-Harringay speedway); Cyril Maidment (ex-Belle Vue speedway); Jack Young (ex_West Ham speedway); Johnnie Hoskins (We all know him); Gerald Jackson (ex- Hackney speedway); Barry Briggs & Mike Broadbank (ex-Swindon speedway); Nick Nicholls (ex-Coventry speedway); Ted Heath (Orchestra leader); Mario Fabrizi (I think he was in Bootsie & Snudge with Alfie Bass); Derek Strutt (ex-Leicester speedway); Bryan Elliott (ex-Halifax speedway); Ken McKinlay (ex-Scunthorpe speedway: Cyril Brine (ex-Wimbledon speedway); Ove Fundin (ex-Norwich speedway); Ronnie Greene (speedway promoter); Aub Lawson (ex-Norwich speedway); Wayne Briggs (ex-Edinburgh speedway); Jimmy Gooch (ex-Oxford speedway); Doug Davies (ex-New Cross speedway); Tadeusz Teodorowicz (ex-Swindon speedway)and Ron Taylor (ex-Swindon speedway).

• Like 1