Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

We've all got to be more up for our league meetings, perhaps having sections of the stadiums closed off is the way to go, like Wolves, Poole and Sheffield, because if you get a concentration of people they will 'make some noise' together 😁

whatever are you on about how about the promoters promote and get bigger crowds to league racing rather than close parts of stadiums . I heard it all now

Sections of Poole are not closed off, its open all the way around.

...even the big hole on the first bend

• Like 1

Superb GP good track and unlike the views of earlier posters Suzi Perry showed a class missing from previous presenters. She knows about speedway and motorsport in general just as the other top anchors know about theirs. And Scotty just maintained his usual high standard.

This isn't some low budget stock car or tractor pull meeting. Speedway needs a top class presentation and if it can't get a mention for an event like this what chance is there?

BTW does anyone know if Tai got an invite to the BBC Sports Personality of the Year or even got a mention?

As always thoroughly enjoyed the British GP. The track itself, gets better each year and is condusive to close racing. My biggest gripe is the unfairness of the gate positions. Riders in gate 4 endures a massive handicap. Those prepared to race round the outside are usually hung out to dry. Many top names trailed in last starting off that dreaded gate 4. Its been the same now for years.

Probably moving the start line either forward or backwards would alter the preference of the gating positions. Just a thought, but many riders last night on gate 4 were beaten even before the race was run.

As always thoroughly enjoyed the British GP. The track itself, gets better each year and is condusive to close racing. My biggest gripe is the unfairness of the gate positions. Riders in gate 4 endures a massive handicap. Those prepared to race round the outside are usually hung out to dry. Many top names trailed in last starting off that dreaded gate 4. Its been the same now for years.

Probably moving the start line either forward or backwards would alter the preference of the gating positions. Just a thought, but many riders last night on gate 4 were beaten even before the race was run.

Quite a few won from there as well. Thought Doyley was unlucky not to reach final.

One of the best British GP's I've seen and the main topic of conversation is a rider swearing. I dunno if it was a big deal or not, I haven't seen the footage, I was at the stadium. Was it really that bad?

not as bad as you after heat 3 on Thursday Shads! wink

Three of the first seven heats were won off gate 4?

Not a fan of Cardiff but i really enjoyed last night some close racing.Fair play to Lindback also glad that Pawlicki is showing his true potential get Emil and Dudek in the Series then this series could really blossom.

• Like 1

For years ? in 2014 it was the best gate and in 2013 the second best gate .don't let the facts get in the way thou .

At nearly all speedway tracks certain gates will have a massive advantage it's always been the way ..I guess your new to speedway ?

Edited by orion
  • Like 1

how about something really radical .off track starts like they do sometimes in grasstrack .

Edited by speedibee

What's the capacity of the stadium for speedway?

NOT sure of the actually figure but obviously a lot more than 40,000. However, to maintain a figure in excess of that when attendances generally are plummeting is highly commendable.

The capacity is 74,500 - according to a 2-second Google search.

So what do you reckon that the attendance was then? 43,000? 44,000?

Now deduct the probable 15,000 Poles & assorted tourists in the crowd, and you are left with less than 30,000 British fans in there...or, in average terms, less than 1000 fans for each track in the country.

Bearing in mind that some teams struggle to get 200 fans onto the terraces week in week out, that average figure of 1000 is remarkable. It's almost like every fan in the country had to be there to make up those numbers.

And still, the stadium that sells out every time the Welsh rugby team plays there can't get to look more than half full for Speedway's major event of the year. And people wonder why the BBC etc can't be bothered to mention speedway in it's main national news coverage.

not as bad as you after heat 3 on Thursday Shads! wink

Hmmmm... yeah.... well.... I can only apologise for my industrial language. Dunno why, maybe me getting older, but I seem to swearing a lot these days, especially at speedway.

• Like 1

The capacity is 74,500 - according to a 2-second Google search.

So what do you reckon that the attendance was then? 43,000? 44,000?

Now deduct the probable 15,000 Poles & assorted tourists in the crowd, and you are left with less than 30,000 British fans in there...or, in average terms, less than 1000 fans for each track in the country.

Bearing in mind that some teams struggle to get 200 fans onto the terraces week in week out, that average figure of 1000 is remarkable. It's almost like every fan in the country had to be there to make up those numbers.

And still, the stadium that sells out every time the Welsh rugby team plays there can't get to look more than half full for Speedway's major event of the year. And people wonder why the BBC etc can't be bothered to mention speedway in it's main national news coverage.

Many 'glamour' major sports event attract casual spectators. I would think that quite a percentage of those attending were not active dedicated speedway followers but people who 'like to attend the big classics." Take Wimbledon tennis as a prime example possibly? It's most like that 30per cent of the British spectators at the GP NEVER visit their local speedway track and have no idea of what is happening in it at domestic level.

Hmmmm... yeah.... well.... I can only apologise for my industrial language. Dunno why, maybe me getting older, but I seem to swearing a lot these days, especially at speedway.

Could be the Berwick influence ;-)

My dog can ride in your league. What would Tai learn from British league? WHAT? Falubaz DESTROYED YOUYR LEAGUE CHAMPIONS ON YOUR TURF 55:35 with no preparation, What would Tai learn from the British beside riding on 1 day tracks? W H A T? He doesn't even want to ride in your league because he knows it's a WASTE of TIME and money lol

Really? What about those 75 quid first bend seats? Those were empty last year.

All of those you mention are British.

Conclusion: Brit youngsters are fat and ugly (girls are just whales), guys are so feminine i started to think those fat and ugly english girls must be lesbian to even date "boys like those" lol. Additionaly they're loud and they binge drink until wasted. SO CALLED ADVANCED COUNTRY LOL

Swearing 24/7 must be your reality then. ROFL

I actually feel sorry for the British. You have my deepest condolences.

Dont knock British speedway a large percentage of the G P field this year and past years have the British leagues to thank for a major part in their development.Alot of them have ridden in Britains lower leagues to then progress into the Elite league,and then thats where the Polish leagues take an interest.Most Australian and American riders would not have been given a chance to be where they are today without the British leagues from what i can recall all of them have been given their first chance of league racing by a British club.So over the years that is alot of talented riders that the G Ps and poland could have missed out on.

From what i can see Poland on the whole seem to only want to develop young Polish/Russian etc riders.Then throw big money at the riders that other leagues have helped develope to loar them away.So i.m.o if it was down to just the Polish league the world would miss out on a hell of alot of talented riders.