British Speedway Forum

Someone put a sponge in the fuel tank

Has found two sponges in the two fuel tanks that he used at Cardiff, has asked if anybody wants to talk to him as they were not put there by him or his team!

Kelvin says this would have caused problems Chris says he doesn't think so and doesn't buy it calling it "sponge bob gate", this could be one to watch, either way someone has put it in the tank!

One of the best GPs and people still find reason to moan. Having been around Cardiff all weekend, I still think its by far the best GP on the circuit for the fans. The stadium is bang in the city centre, the atmosphere is superb all the weekend because the majority of the fans/riders/officials congregate in the same bars and restaurants over the weekend. The stadium has a roof so we don't have to worry the weather.

League speedway is dying in this country and I think if the GP was taken away from Cardiff to London it would be fatal for the sport. Alongside the fact that Wembley and the Olympic Stadium is miles outside central London so the weekend would be poorer as a result these stadiums have no roof.

You only have to look at what happened at Gothenburg to realise how damaging one bad meeting could be, I very much doubt you would have as many fans paying hundreds of pounds to travel to one of these GPs with lack of facilities for fans and the potential of a rain off.

am I missing something here , why not invite top world class rider as wild card like emil sayfutdinov instead of some body who just happens to win british final, BUMS ON SEATS. would MOTO GP invite a rider who won a national race at Mallory park. and why is gp not repeated on itv4 like moto, superbikes, cars etc! mail on sunday 10 pages of bloody tennis , SAD.

Has found two sponges in the two fuel tanks that he used at Cardiff, has asked if anybody wants to talk to him as they were not put there by him or his team!

Kelvin says this would have caused problems Chris says he doesn't think so and doesn't buy it calling it "sponge bob gate", this could be one to watch, either way someone has put it in the tank!

Of course sponges would cause a problem in a fuel tank to the fuel and I agree with kelv which I never thought I would ever say.

Is there not cctv down there ?

It's not a one off in speedway sadly these things happen and it's dangerous.

Edited by robert72

when the GP goes to countries like Latvia, Czech, Italy at least there will be one rider from that country in the event therefore "local" interest would likely to be raised.

BT own the TV rights for speedway GP, maybe ITV4 doesnt want to pay to show minority sports, or perhaps reluctant to show sport where the competitors are likely to swear when being interviewd,

Cycling, golf, athletics etc have clean speaking competitors when being interviewed.

when the GP goes to countries like Latvia, Czech, Italy at least there will be one rider from that country in the event therefore "local" interest would likely to be raised.

BT own the TV rights for speedway GP, maybe ITV4 doesnt want to pay to show minority sports, or perhaps reluctant to show sport where the competitors are likely to swear when being interviewd,

Cycling, golf, athletics etc have clean speaking competitors when being interviewed.

Cycling and athletics are full of drug abuse, that is proven and still on-going. What is worse ?. Tai swearing once, using a word we probably hear every day in our normal life, or putting on TV a drug riddled sport ?

Edited by marky

Typical Speedway - put the GPS on a Platform (BT) that not many people have.

An inspired choice. :blink:

I wonder who made that dubious decision?

I think I can guess though. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

people have to watch him to see what his next faux pas is going to be . I like his arrogant comment at the press conference that everybody in the stadium was supporting him and all that noise was for him .

:) bar me, i was on Lindback @ 20/1 :)

well then Marky, whats your view why speedway gp doesnt get on ITV4 then?

minority sport is my guess but you would have to ask the CEO of ITV4 for his answer

what is so important about ITV4 ? how many viewers do they get for a sporting event ?

am I missing something here , why not invite top world class rider as wild card like emil sayfutdinov instead of some body who just happens to win british final, BUMS ON SEATS. would MOTO GP invite a rider who won a national race at Mallory park. and why is gp not repeated on itv4 like moto, superbikes, cars etc! mail on sunday 10 pages of bloody tennis , SAD.

As a Yank that thinks the sun rises and sets on Emil I have to take exception to your post. Danny King is a good speedway rider, a very talented tv speedway personality and a gentleman. After a slow start (that many regulars had) he came alive toward the end and passed the third man on the podium Zarmlick like he was standing still for the heat win. I'm watching on youtube very excited and happy for him but just think what that race meant to Danny and also to the fans. A highlight of the GP for me in one of my favorite GP's of the season.

Won't comment on Thai and his F bomb but my problem was his distracting from Zmarlicks response in the press conference. Here's a rider 21 years old (I think) who is in there mixing it up with the best, speaking in his second? language, IMO deserves to have the respect that he showed to both Woffy and Antonio when they were answering their questions.

• Like 2

:) bar me, i was on Lindback @ 20/1 :)

22/1 for me 😉 I didn't cheer for Woffinden once either :D

• Like 1

Why give one to someone who chose to walkout on the GPs?

• Like 1

As a Yank that thinks the sun rises and sets on Emil I have to take exception to your post. Danny King is a good speedway rider, a very talented tv speedway personality and a gentleman. After a slow start (that many regulars had) he came alive toward the end and passed the third man on the podium Zarmlick like he was standing still for the heat win. I'm watching on youtube very excited and happy for him but just think what that race meant to Danny and also to the fans. A highlight of the GP for me in one of my favorite GP's of the season.

Won't comment on Thai and his F bomb but my problem was his distracting from Zmarlicks response in the press conference. Here's a rider 21 years old (I think) who is in there mixing it up with the best, speaking in his second? language, IMO deserves to have the respect that he showed to both Woffy and Antonio when they were answering their questions.

Tai doesn't like it when he isn't the focus of attention.

• Like 1

So what's the story about Tai recklessly racing round the Cardiff track in his parade car then?