British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Future Of Scunthorpe Scorpions

Alright, alright, I won't go to Owlerton tonight and I will go Scunny to watch Peterboro' take 'em to bits instead!

Just remember Mr. Godfrey that I am passing up the opportunity to watch Messrs. Carr, Cookie and best of all applaud one of the World Long Track Team winners, so your lads had better not go belly up without a fight!

:D:approve:

Rob and Gail have put their heart and soul into the place. Rob, in particular has propped up a business and then dedicated ten years to creating a well respected speedway stadium with one of the best racetracks in the country - the location may not be ideal for some, a little out of the way maybe ?

Locally the support isn't the best, with many travelling from outside the local area, perhaps that's the issue, a cold, inclement night would see many take the opportunity NOT to risk a 50 mile round trip !

I honestly cannot see why local people don't get on board, its great value and hugely entertaining.

The team have also been cursed with injury this year, I have to say the initial team looked solid, but perhaps not too exciting to some.

However Nike, Josh and Wilko are born entertainers, Ryan is a class act and we were unlucky he arrived injured and took a blow early in his comeback, Ellis Perks was a gamble but had potential, David Howe finished 2014 flying and was a must on his average, however he didn't get going really after an early setback off the track. Alex Davies arrived full of promise and has shown glimpses of his talent.

I have to say the racing has been 1st class BUT people do want to see a winning team more often than not, the injuries, bad luck and fair racetrack haven't helped. Now is the time to rally !

Ryan returns alongside asset Thomas Jorgensen and shows us the future !

Wilko continues to mix it up and compete with anyone

Nike and Willo continue to pitch in from the basement

Josh's return is imminent

Theo leads by example

Alex has balls and will bounce back

Get your backside track side

• Like 6

We, from Sheffield, would be able to go the Scunny if it was on a Sunday! Friday nights are a no go with the traffic as we can't get there in time for the start unless we leave early from work. Used love going on Sundays to watch the conference team.

• Like 1

Let's not forget Kenny Smith in all of this.

We'll never forget King Kenny at Scunny... He'd sure be saddened by Scunnys current closure fears... Kenny was very much 100% committed to Scunthorpe speedway, his contribution and people skills brought supporters together and always had time for a chat. He has been sorely missed, he was that connection between club and fans. Rob was very much a man that was happy to stay in the background and let Kenny do the talking off track. Rob to his credit, certainly found his voice after Kennys passing, he now has a good rapport with the fans, and we've grown to love Robs infield antics and presentation skills..... but there was only ever one Kenny ;-)

One things for sure though, bet he enjoyed looking down on the EWR last night, he'd be up there holding his Newcastle Brown aloft with such pride on what was such a grand comeback... 'It'll be rite' was one of Kennys sayings...lets hope those sentiments come true.

wouldnt sundays put an end to amatuers meets and all the open trainings schools on sundays?

If the Track closed - it would put an end to everything.

If Sundays are the only thing that will keep the 'Scorpions' alive then Sundays it will have to be, and sod anything else.

I know that Scunthorpe have done brilliantly with their Training Sessions - but if they have to be sacrificed in order to save the Track itself - then so be it as far as I am concerned.

The very sadly missed Kenny Smith.

Definitely a miss from our Reunions/Get togethers at Sunderland.

Edited by The White Knight

The very sadly missed Kenny Smith.

Definitely a miss from our Reunions/Get togethers at Sunderland.

6 years today since Kennys passing... gone but never forgotten. RIP Kenny.

• Like 4

When was the last time they ran PL on a Sunday afternoon ?

Why can they not run amateur meeting on a Saturday ?

Really? It was £7 for PL speedway in 1997. Using an online inflation calculator that converts to £9.41 in today's money.

it was ten quid to get into london lions in 1996, an amount I thought was outrageous at the time. I still went to twenty meetings there that season!

They probably make more money from amatuer meetings. There are regularly 60 to 70 riders attending paying £40 each.

now school hols are nearly upon us, how about all kids for free? fans on here and facebook saying its too dear for families other wise they would attend.could some one supply a bouncy castle or an inflatable slide for them to play on,could be put near mini track and turn 4? as i mentioned before, put one of wayne carters bikes near the pits for adults and kids to sit on for photos, maybe have a race bib on for photos, then pretend youre a scorpion.

What's this nonsense about £10 admission?

I seem to remember I was paying £6 to watch Cradley in 1982?

Are you sure it shouldn't still be 4/3d you skinflints?

You were being ripped off then. When the ACES left Hyde Road in 1987 admission, including programme was £3.10. I dont thik 5 years earlier Cradley was double that

A few home truths from the Rob Godfrey interview in last weeks SS ......

"Maybe its things like too many guests, r/r all the time, rule changes, stuff like that"

"as promoters we all need to wake up and smell the coffee because that coffee is going stale"

"The product has got more expensive to put on and the revenues from it are just depleting away"

The guy is working very hard to make Scunthorpe Speedway viable but is not getting the numbers through the gates....best of luck to the man but does not look good!

It's sad, probably my favourite track in Britain, comin down from Berwick for the Scunny v Berwick meeting and I'm hoping that that's not the last time I get to go to that track, baffles me how Scunthorpe don't get crowds as the track is amazing