British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Odds On

Chris Harris.

Was he any 'poor and slower' than he normally is?

• Like 1

Hoping for green light starts again!

Seriously though I didn't think he was any worse than he has been this year in general

• Like 1

He had an engine failure in his first race - never a good start and shouldnt really happen.

TURNED down the chance to use the GTR he had at King's Lynn

there was a rumour going around Cardiff relating to this and that he was also offered a considerable amount of money as well to ride it, but we all know how wrong rumours can be.

Hope he gets things sorted and is back on the pace again real soon.

there was a rumour going around Cardiff relating to this and that he was also offered a considerable amount of money as well to ride it, but we all know how wrong rumours can be.

Surprised kelvin didn't make any mention of it!!? :shock:

THE truth is somewhere between the two ... Marcel Gerhard and some guys from Suter drove from Switzerland (via Calais!) to Cardiff with some engines in the belief that Harris would use one. It was only on Friday that he informed them that he wanted to use the GMs that had served him well in recent leagues matches. But for Lambert grabbing one, it would have been a wasted and expensive journey.

GTR were prepared to offer Chris some inducement to use an engine but nothing like the sum that he wanted.

No one doubts both the skill and bravery of Chris. His gating is poor and at this later stage of his career, I'm not sure how he could cure that.

However , he quite obviously lacked speed on Saturday, not for the first time in the GP this year (or last year).

Poor gating + No speed = no chance at this level.

He does have great self belief, but he needs speed. If we accept his gating is down to his natural level of ability, then the only thing that can change is speed.

Where is that coming from any day soon?

I felt quite frustrated watching him at Cardiff. Yes, he still scrapes in through the qualifiers but then what ?

I can't think of the last time I saw him make the semis, and even the lower riders like MJJ, AJ and various wildcards are all capable of that occasionally.

As I returned to the sport only 3 years ago, after a long time away, I don't have the same affection for him that others may have.

Catching up on all I missed, I just wonder where is the guy who won at Cardiff, or won the league for Coventry?

Good guy or stubborn? Badly advised ? Bad gear ?

I would love him to compete at the highest level. It would be great to see him show his natural ability on a bike that does his trackcraft justice.

• Like 2

GTR were prepared to offer Chris some inducement to use an engine but nothing like the sum that he wanted.

Being greedy didn't do him much good then ;)

Why do people continually feel the need to have a pop at Chris Harris?

The guy is a 100% trier but because he isnt as good as Tai people lay into him.

He has deserved his place in the gp he is nevr going to be top 6, unlikely to be top 8 but thats the level he is now.

He is 6 points off the top 8.

He is just behind the new golden boy Janowski

He is ahead of the current world number 2

He is ahead of Batchelor who scored double what Harris did last year.

He is at his level and that is in the worlds top 15 or so

Gods sake give the guy a break!

• Like 6

Think Bomber issue this year is actually having too many engines to choose from. The GTR engines do look quick in the odd race I've seen him ride it but to be fair he would've been mad not to ride his UK bikes after his performance v Belle Vue and Wolves.

THE truth is somewhere between the two ... Marcel Gerhard and some guys from Suter drove from Switzerland (via Calais!) to Cardiff with some engines in the belief that Harris would use one. It was only on Friday that he informed them that he wanted to use the GMs that had served him well in recent leagues matches. But for Lambert grabbing one, it would have been a wasted and expensive journey.

Is there any particular reason why they are so keen on him, specifically, using the engine ?

Seems a bit odd to invest so much in him so doggedly.

He seems like a complete nightmare to work with in general.

His media interviews, at least, tend to suggest his 'feedback' on set ups etc would be fairly unintelligible.

And he will never 'sell' the engine to anyone else.

I mean who would ever buy an engine based on 'ill use what #37 is using'

Surely there are better guys for them to work with.

PS to Gavin & SCB

I'm not getting on his back, just wondering why the German guy chases all over Europe trying to twist his arm. When he just does not seem that 'on board' with the whole thing.

That is all.

Edited by Grand Central

People have huge expectation of Harris based of the back of Cardiff '07. If people had realistic expectations they wouldn't get half as worked up. He's a 7.5 EL rider who will score 3-5 points in a GP. Some days he'll be brilliant and ride some brilliant races and other days he can frustrate the hell out of you. It what he is, what he was and what he'll likely only ever be. There are thousands of riders who'd kill to be that "bad".

Something that didn't work in Bomber favour was the silencer change over. That season a lot of riders either suddenly got better, or worse. Since then Chris has slowly worked his way back up to where he was pre-silencer change.

No, he's not likely to ever win another GP. Or finish top 8 of a GP season but the PL (and even the EL) is full of rider who'll never even make it to a GP but people seem to accept that.

Is there any particular reason why they are so keen on him, specifically, using the engine ?

He seems like a complete nightmare UK work with in general.
His media interviews, at least, tend to suggest his 'feedback' on set ups etc would be fairly unintelligible.

PS to Gavin.
I'm not getting on his back, just wondering why the German guy chases all over Europe trying yo twist his arm. That is all.

Maybe because he's the only one whos shown any interest in using one so far? And if he did get a good result it would stand out more than it would for a rider expected to do well anyway.

He seems like a complete nightmare UK work with in general.

PS to Gavin & SCB

I'm not getting on his back, just wondering why the German guy chases all over Europe trying to twist his arm. When he just does not seem that 'on board' with the whole thing.

That is all.

Perhaps its a case of go with the slowest and if he has no joy, not the engines fault, he's always like that.... but if he starts doing well.....