British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

King’s Lynn V Birmingham Wed 8 July

2 miles from track and had a few more spots but nothing to worry about.

Breeze is that strong unless there is a storm I can't see a problem

thanks Star Lady.

...I was talking to a this old Brummie in a cemetry, didnt look to good...

Sounds like you found one of the Brummies younger fans then :-D

Beaten but not disgraced against a very powerful and impressive Birmingham side best describes last nights meeting as far as I'm concerned.

Following a very heavy and prolonged bout of rain around tea-time, the quick thinking Keith 'Buster' Chapman, knew that if this meeting had any chance of going ahead, he would have to get the top surface off the track before the blink of an eyelid. Without any second thoughts, he rolled up his sleeves and set about the task that the elements had decreed necessary. Work done, then came the anxious wait as to whether the weather would return to how it should be in July, of course we now know that it did by approximately 7.15pm.

At this point, Buster knew that providing the riders and officials were happy that the track could be put back into a ride-able condition, then he could complete that job in little over 30-minutes. By 7.45pm, everyone was happy that it would be safe to proceed, and by 8.15pm, the track was not just ride-able, but highly race-able, as was proven by the fact that the fastest time recorded by any rider this season (Daniel Greenwood), was beaten on three separate occasions. Many clubs would have called the meeting off, but when you've got someone who can prepare a track in such a relatively short space of time, to the quality it was, that person or people are worth their weight in gold. Well done Buster.

As for the meeting itself, it wasn't the best that I've seen, but it was still highly enjoyable, and by heck did King's Lynn give the so far unbeaten in the league Birmingham, a run for their money. Graham Drury went on record at the end of the evening, as saying that was the toughest encounter his team had faced all season, and was full of praise for both sets of fans, along with everyone concerned with getting the meeting on.

I'd also like to thank Graham for taking the time to come and seek me out in the stadium, so as to have a quick chat with me, before racing commenced. After the difficulties of last year at Perry Barr, and his resulting retirement, it's good to see 'The Judge' back where he belongs, and long may that continue., He's both a gentleman and a gentle man, like our own Dale Allitt, and you don't get many of those in a pound these days.

Looking at individual performances, and taking King's Lynn first. KYLE HUGHES once again proved to be a superb guest, and it's a shame in some ways that he's not still one of us. He openly spoke of his liking of the Adrian Flux Arena, saying he considered it to be the best in the country, and it showed by his armchair style of riding. RYAN KINSLEY moved up into the main body of the team, and looked as though he'd been there all season. A very impressive performance by someone so young both in age and racing experience. SCOTT CAMPOS played a true captains role, sitting behind his partner in all four races, making sure they didn't let any further opposing riders past. SHANE HAZELDEN scored seven steady points, which matched up to his 6.54 average, so did the job he was employed to do. TOM STOKES also battled his way to an impressive and painful seven points, following an alarming and heavy fall in Heat 4, which like Shane, was slightly above his average....job done. LAYNE CUPITT struggled a bit, falling twice in Heats 2 and 7 and failed to score on the night. But when you consider that this time last year, he was only just holding down a team place at Midland Development League level, then his steady growth up the speedway ladder is obvious for all to see, as is bourne out by his 3.27 National League average. Not a good one last night, but just as like to hit double points against Team Fritte tomorrow evening. JOSH BAILEY has dropped into the reserve berth following a few problems with machinery and the like, and with those problems now seemingly sorted, a spell in the No 7 race-jacket will boost his confidence no end, and his herculean efforts last night had the Brummies looking over their shoulders.

As for Birmingham, they look and are a class act, and as much as I'd love to see King's Lynn win the league championship, I can't see anyone stopping them lifting the trophy come the autumn. If we can't win it, I'd be more than happy for them to do so, it's so great to see them back in the sport following last years closure, and like Eastbourne, they are great additions to this fascinating National League. Talking of Eastbourne, their own BRADLEY WILSON-DEAN guested for the men in Red & Yellow in place of the otherwise occupied Adam Ellis, and if this 20-year old New Zealander doesn't reach the same dizzy heights as the like of Tai Woffinden and Darcy Ward, I'll be amazed. I'd forecast that he's going to go to the top in a very short space of time. ALEX WILSON scored a solitary point, of which was about right for his performance this time round. But when I think back twelve months ago, he could barely stay on his bike, let alone score any points at the level he was racing at, so his improvement is to be admired, and I'm sure he's going to have a steady and productive career. SAM CHAPMAN has just returned from a nasty and fairly lengthy injury, so it's difficult to give a fair opinion on him. Of what I've seen in the past, especially around the Eddie Wright Raceway at Scunthorpe, he looks to have all the tools in his locker to achieve his goals, but 2-points last night, didn't show him at his best. ZACH WAJTKNECHT....wow, wow, wow, what an inspired piece of observation to snap up the 2013 British 250cc Youth Championship runner-up, before anybody else had really heard of him. Although he sounds as though he comes from overseas, he actually hails from Bristol, and gives us a great hope for a future British World Champion, much like a certain Jason Crump who was born in the same city, but in his case of course, became a naturalised Australian. JOSH BATES is of course only a short term signing to cover for the injured Tom Perry. Already riding for Sheffield in the Premier League, and Wolverhampton in the Premier League (he'll be back at the Adrian Flux Arena next Wednesday with the Wolves), it's plain for all to see, that he's now out grown this level of racing. But he's been asked to do a job, and who can blame him for wanting to top up his bank balance whilst the opportunity is there. Seldom troubled as he raced to an expected full maximum. CHARLIE POWELL I know nothing about, as he's not in the declared Birmingham side, but I believe his roots might be in grass track racing. He scored 1+1 plus from three rides, and showed a lot of ability. If he intends staying in shale sport, then he could be one to watch for the future. So that just leaves Lincolnshire based ADAM KIRBY who put in the best performance that I've ever seen from him, in what is still a relatively short career, and was extremely instrumental in the Birmingham victory.

So all in all, a good night of racing, with the best team on the night winning, albeit the wrong one for me. It was also nice to see a large contingent of visiting fans in attendance, who expressed to me, their surprise at just how good National League racing is. Amen.

• Like 9