British Speedway Forum
pvm

Redcar V Somerset Thursday 9th July

Surely this situation should be classed as bringing "speedway into Disrepute" - after all we are talking about a match taking place on July 9th exactly a week after Redcar hosted Scunthorpe where the correct July averages were applied.

Redcar should be fined a substantial sum and the referee should be suspended for 28 days.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2

HT, yes there were mistakes all around, after Redcar's original error with the averages.

And I agree, we have been given a full explanation of what happened in this case.

But I still think it really does send out very much the wrong message in allowing an illegal ride to stand. And Redcar now have three PL points that they should not have.

All the best

Rob

I cannot be bothered to trail back through all of the Posts on this Thread but I am sure I read that the Redcar Team Manager had queried this issue with both the Referee and the Somerset Management. If this is so, Redcar have done nothing wrong, on the contrary they tried to do the right thing. If the Referee was satisfied and the Somerset Management were satisfied - you can hardly blame Redcar or their Management Team.

The correct Decision was reached allowing the Result to stand.

Surely this situation should be classed as bringing "speedway into Disrupt" - after all we are talking about a match taking place on July 9th exactly a week after Redcar hosted Scunthorpe where the correct July averages were applied.

Redcar should be fined a substantial sum and the referee should be suspended for 28 days.

????? Is it not disrupted enough already? :shock: :shock: ;)

I cannot be bothered to trail back through all of the Posts on this Thread but I am sure I read that the Redcar Team Manager had queried this issue with both the Referee and the Somerset Management. If this is so, Redcar have done nothing wrong, on the contrary they tried to do the right thing. If the Referee was satisfied and the Somerset Management were satisfied - you can hardly blame Redcar or their Management Team.

The correct Decision was reached allowing the Result to stand.

????? Is it not disrupted enough already? :shock: :shock: ;)

I`m not certain the Redcar team manager was telling "the truth and nothing but the truth" in his account of the pre-meeting discussion. If there were any queries about the RR and Kus eligibility it surely would have been checked.

Spelling now edited -wrong word altogether .

• Like 1

Finally, a question for "lucifer sam" ... if Scunthorpe (or Oxford in the past) innocently benefit from a refereeing clanger, how quickly do you insist the scoreline must be corrected to reflect the situation ? !!

By all means whinge about other results affecting your team providing you're also keen to hand back any presents you've similarly received !!

It was Reading vs Oxford in 1997. The Oxford team manager made a mistake in replacing a non-injured reserve with a supplementary reserve in Heat 1, the ref sanctioned it, Oxford won 46-44 on the night, the Reading team manager protested, and a couple of days later, it was announced the scoreline had been changed to 45-45. As an Oxford fan I wasn't best pleased at the time, but any fury was directed towards those who had made the error, as opposed to the Reading management. Fortunately, the Oxford team manager was changed the following winter.

Why bring that up now? Well the Reading team manager, one of the most astute in the business, is one of those contributing to this thread. ;)

But that's an example of how it should be. You make a mistake; you get penalised for it. An illegal ride should not be allowed to stand, otherwise it makes a mockery of the sport.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

It was Reading vs Oxford in 1997. The Oxford team manager made a mistake in replacing a non-injured reserve with a supplementary reserve in Heat 1, the ref sanctioned it, Oxford won 46-44 on the night, the Reading team manager protested, and a couple of days later, it was announced the scoreline had been changed to 45-45. As an Oxford fan I wasn't best pleased at the time, but any fury was directed towards those who had made the error, as opposed to the Reading management. Fortunately, the Oxford team manager was changed the following winter.

Why bring that up now? Well the Reading team manager, one of the most astute in the business, is one of those contributing to this thread. ;)

But that's an example of how it should be. You make a mistake; you get penalised for it. An illegal ride should not be allowed to stand, otherwise it makes a mockery of the sport.

All the best

Rob

One slight difference Rob- I believe the Reading Team Manager was heard to say " they can`t do that" but was too late to stop it prior to the race-and immediately protested at the race conclusion.

• Like 1

One slight difference Rob- I believe the Reading Team Manager was heard to say " they can`t do that" but was too late to stop it prior to the race-and immediately protested at the race conclusion.

Yeah, I can quite believe you were on the case straight away, you were too far good at your job. :wink::D But the fact that Somerset protested during the course of the match is good enough for me.

In any case, any illegal rides have to be deducted from match scores. It makes a mockery of the sport otherwise.

All the best

Rob

• Like 3

Surely this situation should be classed as bringing "speedway into Disrepute" - after all we are talking about a match taking place on July 9th exactly a week after Redcar hosted Scunthorpe where the correct July averages were applied.

Fined a substantial sum.....? For naming an incorrect rider for a R/R in one heat?

Some people might think you want Redcar Bears to go out of business

• Like 1

Yeah, I can quite believe you were on the case straight away, you were too far good at your job. :wink::D But the fact that Somerset protested during the course of the match is good enough for me.

In any case, any illegal rides have to be deducted from match scores. It makes a mockery of the sport otherwise.

All the best

Rob

I fully agree about the last sentence-and I hope my suggestion in post 106 is considered as I don`t think the "green sheets" are as clear as they should be.

This is probably a good time to recount a funny story. A few years before I became a team manager I was just a Racers supporter writing bits and pieces in the programme but I was always interested in the rule-book. I was at Sheffield one night to watch the Racers and Bill Dore was team managing them at the time. I was stood looking into the pits when Bill came along and told me that Sheffield-Eric Boocock and Maurice Ducker had changed ther line-up late -I can`t remember the exact details however I knew they couldn`t do what they were trying to do legally.

Bill said follow me-so I jumped over the fence and in the Gent`s toilet, the ref ,me Eric and john Davis the Racers captain had a rules meeting with the ref agreeing with me(the punter) that Sheffield were trying to pull a fast one ! Obviously the evening had a happy ending with the Racers winning.

Fined a substantial sum.....? For naming an incorrect rider for a R/R in one heat?

Some people might think you want Redcar Bears to go out of business

Not in the least-but there are code of conduct fines for all sorts of things-and believe me A match on the 9th July using June averages is a major cock-up(as the SCB has rightly said).

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know if the wrong averages were in the Redcar programme on the 2nd July for the Scunthorpe match ? and if they were did the referee Michael Breckon not mention the error to the home Promoter / team manager.

It would be interesting to know if the wrong averages were in the Redcar programme on the 2nd July for the Scunthorpe match ? and if they were did the referee Michael Breckon not mention the error to the home Promoter / team manager.

I would suspect not. Surely, had they done so, things would have been changed.

I wonder if all this 'hoo haa' would have happened had Somerset won?

Just a thought..........................

There have been instances where the printers have failed to update the information provided and/or erroneously reverted to previous data held on their databases when producing the next programme.

There have been instances where the printers have failed to update the information provided and/or erroneously reverted to previous data held on their databases when producing the next programme.

Indeed-however I suspect in this instance the same June averages were also in the 2nd July programme as well as the 9th. Certainly Michael Breckon`s spread sheet score card-linked on the BSPA website shows the correct July Averages.

Wasn't going to comment on this and take a backseat but I can't believe much debate there is for something that is plainly simple.

Redcar cheated - are you telling me they didn't know the averages of their own team. Therefore gave wrongful information for their own benefit.

Referee - made a mistake and went off the averages via the programme and did not cross check - as stated in the SCB statement.

Somerset - Agreed before but agreed to the averages given from the referee. Would not have found out until later in the meeting and protested as soon as they could.

Thats my veiw of it all and think it makes sense.

Wasn't going to comment on this and take a backseat but I can't believe much debate there is for somethineg that is plainly simple.

Redcar cheated - are you telling me they didn't know the averages of their own team. Therefore gave wrongful information for their own benefit.

Referee - made a mistake and went off the averages via the programme and did not cross check - as stated in the SCB statement.

Somerset - Agreed before but agreed to the averages given from the referee. Would not have found out until later in the meeting and protested as soon as they could.

Thats my veiw of it all and think it makes sense.

Hans Christian Andersen

The Brothers Grimm

Aesop

JK Rowling

BrummieRebel

Great strory tellers of all time! wink

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 1