British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mischief

Buying A Bike

Hi

Where is the best place to buy a second hand Speedway bike, with GM engine) is there such a place? I have looked on eBay but nothing there at the moment.

Also how possible would it be to pick one up for about £1000. Any guidance please.

Thanks

Now and again Alan Bellham sells the odd one,but really advertising here and on Facebook,is a good way,also eBay.Other that that try popping along to any Amateur Meetings near you ie STR,Dragons,Scunthorpe etc,also you find Jawa come up more often than GMs and are often cheaper.Hope this helps.

Cookie.

• Like 1

Hi Red Watch

Thanks for this info, I have a Facebook account but dont really use or understand much about it so how do I go about finding a bike on Facebook?

I have just seen a bike with a Long Stroke Jawa Engine I like the look of but thought Long Stroke engines were for Long Track, any issues using this for Speedway? Would I be better holding on for a GM or any but with the Short Stroke engine?

Also is wearing Kevlar or Leathers your own preference?

Thanks for the help so far.

Just type in Speedway or Grasstrack,and various pages will pop up,click on and have a look or leave a message saying what your looking for.No issues with using a long stroke engine,all depends on the level your riding at now,if just starting out to be fair won't matter what engine you have.Kevlars are the most popular suits at present but people do still wear leathers.

Cookie.

Hi and thanks once again.

The bike I found was removed from eBay so must have sold but the photos showed the bike had different frames?

I prefer leathers and plan to have a set made. I tried what you said on Facebook so starting to get the idea.

Things have changed a bit since I rode, I started on a 2 valve Jawa and moved onto believe it or not a Reg Luckhurst 4 valve Conversion. So I kind of have an idea but with a very long gap.

Thanks

Bike for sale with gm engine pm for details if interested cheers

Hi,

I send pm yesterday eve as I could be interested in what you have for sale.

Let me know

Thanks