British Speedway Forum
Hawk127

Ice Speedway Fixtures 2015 - 2016

The same riders race 20 heats each day and the total points scored are carried over to the next round

• Like 1

I'm tempted to head over to Berlin and check out the GP round there.

I havent been to an ice speedway event before (I'm a speedway fan looking to try some new things!) - would someone mind explaining what the format of the GP is like and in what way it is split between the 2 days? Presumably it's possible to get tickets for just one day?

You can just turn up on the day and get a ticket. (or buy a ticket for just one day from the stadium at any time) Same format for the second day, albeit in a different riding order, but the bottom two scorers (usually) on day 1 are replaced by the reserves on the Sunday.

TBH the stadium is not the greatest for viewing and there is some very steep terracing steps to negotiate in places. 4th bend was always our preferred spot but became increasingly popular and was very uncomfortable the last time we used it. We went on the back straight this year and by moving along right towards the third bend had both a good view and plenty of space. I read other reports saying they had terrible views from that area so each to their own.

If you were in Berlin from the Thursday they usually have the German Championships that night which is much cheaper and with a smaller crowd easier to check out your preferred viewing spot for the GP. If you do that I would just say not to judge standards by the racing then, although there will be some good ones but the GP takes it to another level. (Also GP practise is usually on the Friday, although not proper racing as such)

Berlin is great place to visit, the track is easy to get to and, other than clearing the track of ice after every 4 heats, they get on with the meeting very efficiently. Music is as bad as over here though :mad:

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the helpful replies - perhaps I'll start planning a trip! :)

• Like 1

I think one of the great things about Ice Speedway is very similar to watching proper Speedway abroad or back in the day in GB as our European friends aren't as hot on Health and Safety and you can get nice and close to the racing. I remember the 1st time I went to Assen with a few mates and the speed they went was amazing and getting pelted with ice just made it more fun and we were on the back straight(away)"must keep Sam Ermolenko" Happy and only a couple of feet from the fence

I'm tempted to head over to Berlin and check out the GP round there.

I havent been to an ice speedway event before (I'm a speedway fan looking to try some new things!) - would someone mind explaining what the format of the GP is like and in what way it is split between the 2 days? Presumably it's possible to get tickets for just one day?

I went to Berlin last year and it was my first meeting and throughly enjoyed it and will be going back in 2016. In Berlin the back straight was a real pain both to get in and out, the lighting and the over intoxicated eastern europeans but on the second day i was in the main stand and the viewing/comfort factor was much better. You can always get tickets on the day and I would get to the track early if in the main stand or the first/second bend. Fans in the main stand were great fun and very friendly and all in all the ice speedway fans are a great bunch of people and I would highly recommend going along. Stadium is close to station and if you stay in Charlottenburg you are no more than 20mins from the track. Some good hotels around Sauvigny platz and plenty of good value restaurants. Not sure where you are based but Ryanair fly out from Stansted on saturday morning and coming back on Monday mid day is costing around £80 return. Berlin Schonefeld is about forty minutes from central Berln (cost Euro 3.40) and hotels are a reasonable price. If you get a chance go along, you will enjoy it.

• Like 1

Fim training camp at Ylitornio 3-6th dec, worlds semi Jan 9th ylitornio, nordic final at Teuva (next to kauhajoki) feb 6th, finnish quali 23rd jan alavus, finnish final jan 30th varkaus.

Any news on individuals around Europe? I found only RTP in Assen and the Russian finals.

Any news on individuals around Europe? I found only RTP in Assen and the Russian finals.

No decisions taken but according to the latest Svemo ice racing protocol, Mariestads MK are working on to set up an Individual Nordic championship

at Otterbäcken, which is just north of Mariestad. I don't know what kind of facilities they have there but given the fairly southern location, I presume that

it is an artificially frozen track. *edit arena is called Otterstrands IP and is normally used for bandy.

Regarding the Ind. Swe final, there is no decision taken for that either but it seems that the three "tracks" they mentioned were Studenternas IP, Uppsala,

Östermalms IP, Stockhokm and Eskilstuna Ice stadium.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Two international meetings:

03.01 Weißenbach (AT)

06.01 Steingaden (DE)

Both to be confirmed... hope it gets cold enough.

And the Euros in Sankt Johann 30.01 (instead of Ufa) it seems.

From my Russian friends, it appears that Ufa are having finance problems having lost some backing. Possibly why they don't want the European Championship?

Also they still haven't finalised the Russian Fixtures yet, and the season starts in less that three weeks!

No decisions taken but according to the latest Svemo ice racing protocol, Mariestads MK are working on to set up an Individual Nordic championship

at Otterbäcken, which is just north of Mariestad. I don't know what kind of facilities they have there but given the fairly southern location, I presume that

it is an artificially frozen track. *edit arena is called Otterstrands IP and is normally used for bandy.

Regarding the Ind. Swe final, there is no decision taken for that either but it seems that the three "tracks" they mentioned were Studenternas IP, Uppsala,

Östermalms IP, Stockhokm and Eskilstuna Ice stadium.

Three weeks after that meeting it was declared that the Nordic final will be ridden in Finland. I've now asked whats the full story.

For Conkers and Jesper, it is a bit quiet on the ice racing front, have to admit.

I don't know, it's always a bit quiet at the start of the season.

One new this is that the FIM is staging a official trainingcamp this year (first time ever). It wil be held in Ylitornio from 3 till 6 december.

Three weeks after that meeting it was declared that the Nordic final will be ridden in Finland. I've now asked whats the full story.

Possible (speculation) Mariestads MK came to the conclusion that it was not possible to hold the NM at Otterstrands IP and a new host had to be found,

Possible (speculation) Mariestads MK came to the conclusion that it was not possible to hold the NM at Otterstrands IP and a new host had to be found,

Possibly.

Definately Finlands turn to host it, as that what it states in the NMC (Nordic management Council, a yearly meeting between Nordic FMN's) rotation list. Also I'm told that it will be in Finland, as I wrote on 24th of October on this thread.

From what I have seen and heard, Finland will be hosting the Nordic Final. Örnarna will instead be staging the Swedish Pairs final at Otterbäcken, provisionally on Saturday, February 27.

FIXTURES

27/12 Santa Cup – Gävle

2/1 Elite League - Strömsund

3/1 Elite League - Örnsköldsvik

15/1 WC Qualifier – Östersund

16/1 GP Challenge – Strömsund

23/1 Elite League - Bollnäs

24/1 Elite League - Gävle

30/1 Elite League - Strömsund

31/1 Elite League - Örnsköldsvik

20/2 Elite League - Bollnäs

21/2 Elite League - Gävle