British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I tried to take a few photos last year but some bloke started getting a funny saying we dont want your sort round here. ( Kevin James ) as i later found out.

I will pop down there soon and take a few.

My uncle managed to get some images thru' the iron railings at the tote end! It looked to be in a sad state.

Where are your photos located on that site mate as I looked on there under defunct and the photos on there are from a Bob Cole?

Where are your photos located on that site mate as I looked on there under defunct and the photos on there are from a Bob Cole?

I've tried to re-locate them myself only the other day! They are there somewhere...I posted them back in 2011 not long after I took them. If you have no luck I would be more than happy to send them to you privately?

I believe that the Conservation area status gives the council the powers to make full repairs to the stadium if the appropriate council officers believe there is a danger to the survival of the structure. This action would be cost neutral to the council because the cost of the work can be passed onto the stadium owners and if unpaid the council can take a 'charge' on the property and ultimately take the stadium into council ownership. IN Devon next to the A38 between Exeter and Plymouth is Buckfastleigh Race Course the grandstand still stands although racing hasnt taken place since the 60s or 70s, because it was listed and has to be kept in good repair.

I believe that the Conservation area status gives the council the powers to make full repairs to the stadium if the appropriate council officers believe there is a danger to the survival of the structure. This action would be cost neutral to the council because the cost of the work can be passed onto the stadium owners and if unpaid the council can take a 'charge' on the property and ultimately take the stadium into council ownership. IN Devon next to the A38 between Exeter and Plymouth is Buckfastleigh Race Course the grandstand still stands although racing hasnt taken place since the 60s or 70s, because it was listed and has to be kept in good repair.

If I recall a conservation order was placed on the totalizer structure on the first /second bend. I can see this becoming quite a battle in trying to keep the stadium in a reasonable condition with a view of the council passing it on to prospective interested parties (if the compulsory purchase has indeed gone thru'?)

Confirms my suspicions when I corresponded with the then manager of the stadium who denied that the stadium was being 'run down!'

When Shawfield Stadium was sold to a consortium by the GRA a clause in the sale was if the stadium was sold within a period, seven years I believe, a percentage of any profit would be paid to the GRA. Couldn't this offer be included in the sale of Oxford Stadium? :t:

When Shawfield Stadium was sold to a consortium by the GRA a clause in the sale was if the stadium was sold within a period, seven years I believe, a percentage of any profit would be paid to the GRA. Couldn't this offer be included in the sale of Oxford Stadium? :t:

I think that is called an 'overage'. I also think it can be set for longer than 7 years. I believe it is normally used to protect the seller, if planning permission is granted on the land in the future.

I think that is called an 'overage'. I also think it can be set for longer than 7 years. I believe it is normally used to protect the seller, if planning permission is granted on the land in the future.

Which is why I said it.

Which is why I said it.

Oooh! Alright sailor! Keep your bell bottoms on!