Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Doesn't hopes of an Oxford speedway revival ultimately rest on the stadium owners agreeing to rent out the stadium? Have there been negotiations in that direction?

Edited by Guest

Doesn't hopes of an Oxford speedway revival ultimately rest on the stadium owners agreeing to rent out the stadium? Have there been negotiations in that direction?

Would't suit the long game though John. The stadium need to lie idle and become decrepit to justify that, as a sports facility it is no longer viable. Then the council will overturn its restrictions on use of land and grant planning permission turning it from a virtually worthless piece of land into one worth millions.

It is how these things play out over and over

• Like 1

the council, because it isnt COSTING them money should be in a position to wait longer than any developer

The council don't own it, the GRA do, or rather the Irish banks do

I last called in at Cowley in 2011 and the stadium was in a disgraceful mess! I did send an email to the then owners stating my disappointment 'suggesting' that their remit was to run the facility down to such an extent that the only viable alternate was to sell the site to interested developers? The representative strongly refuted that suggestion however history since then has proved correct in my opinion! I only hope that a saviour is found who is prepared to take the project on and make Cowley Stadium a viable concern again.

It is possible for the council to make an order requiring the owners to repair it to a good, council approved condition, if the owners dont do the work the council send in their own contractors, do the work and send the owners the bill which has full court proceedings back up. Its been applied in plymouth to several buildings and the stadium does have buildings.

It is possible for the council to make an order requiring the owners to repair it to a good, council approved condition, if the owners dont do the work the council send in their own contractors, do the work and send the owners the bill which has full court proceedings back up. Its been applied in plymouth to several buildings and the stadium does have buildings.

I think that's only applicable if the stadium is considered unsafe. A similar thing happened in Swindon with a "historic" building.

The whole situation does seem to have reached a stalemate.

Town and Country Planning Act 1990 section 215.

Doesn't need to be unsafe, merely be an eyesore, but that can be subjective and councils will generally only use their power in the more extreme cases where the owner has proved uncooperative.

I don't think it's a public meeting

More likely the owners interested parties/buyers/renters and maybe the council too.

It is a public meeting at Chequers Quarry.

Q&A session with leader of City Council Bob Price.

7th January at 7pm.

All the best

Rob