British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

For those of you interested in The saga of Oxford stadium , Councillor Bob Price will be coming to The Chequers Quarry at 7pm next Thursday 7-1-16 to tell every...body what the council feel the future of the stadium will be ! If you'd like to ask any questions or hear it first hand feel free to come along .....

ITS a long way to come from Plymouth to ask this question. Please ask him if the council would use their powers to repair the stadium IF IT WAS considered to be in a dangerous state of repair and give the bill to the stadium owners

Hi everyone, a reminder that Oxford Speedway needs you in attendance at the Chequers, Headington Quarry on Thursday (7pm). We need to be there in numbers.

All the best

Rob

Hi everyone, a reminder that Oxford Speedway needs you in attendance at the Chequers, Headington Quarry on Thursday (7pm). We need to be there in numbers.

All the best

Rob

Hope it goes well, and that Speedway fights alongside the dogs people to get Oxford reopened.

• Like 2

OXFORD SPEEDWAY NEEDS YOU!!

SPEEDWAY supporters are being urged to attend a meeting with Oxford City Council leader Bob Price at the Chequers Pub in Headington Quarry on Thursday evening (January 7th, 7pm).

Oxford Stadium shut its doors to speedway in October 2007 and greyhounds in December 2012, and has since been subject of a planning application by owners Greyhound Racing Association and Galliard Homes, who sought to develop the site for residential purposes.

But a stalemate followed after Oxford City Council unanimously opposed the plans to build 220 homes on the venue in Blackbird Leys, Cowley in January 2014 on eight counts, with the council subsequently awarding conservation area status to the site.

A High Court appeal from the developers challenging the conversation area status was dismissed in January 2015, and the stadium has continued to operate, but without speedway or greyhound racing, the two main draws of spectators to the venue. Go-karting still takes place in the centre of the speedway track, and the health and fitness centre remains open. The main complex at the stadium was emptied by the GRA in January 2013, shortly after the end of the greyhound racing.

Save Our Stadium chairman Ian Sawyer said: “It is crucial that the public turn up in numbers for the meeting with Bob Price on Thursday.

“He was keen to arrange an informal question & answer session, where he can update on any progress, and also it allows people to ask any questions or voice any concerns.

“The council remain aware of the importance of the speedway and greyhounds - plus all the other activities being held at the stadium - to the local community, and we need to display to them that our desire is not wavering.

“Personally I would love for the Oxford Cheetahs to return. My dad is desperate to see them racing again, and I’d enjoy nothing more than to be able to take my children along to see the Cheetahs in action, so that they can become hooked on the sport as well.

“We need to ensure the council are aware that there are many people out there with such feelings, and that the passion for the Oxford Cheetahs has not dimmed.

“We ask for as many people as possible to attend the meeting at the Chequers Pub in Beaumont Road, Oxford as possible.”

The full address of the venue is:

The Chequers

17A Beaumont Road

Headington Quarry

Oxford

OX3 8JN

• Like 2

OXFORD SPEEDWAY NEEDS YOU!!

SPEEDWAY supporters are being urged to attend a meeting with Oxford City Council leader Bob Price at the Chequers Pub in Headington Quarry on Thursday evening (January 7th, 7pm).

Oxford Stadium shut its doors to speedway in October 2007 and greyhounds in December 2012, and has since been subject of a planning application by owners Greyhound Racing Association and Galliard Homes, who sought to develop the site for residential purposes.

But a stalemate followed after Oxford City Council unanimously opposed the plans to build 220 homes on the venue in Blackbird Leys, Cowley in January 2014 on eight counts, with the council subsequently awarding conservation area status to the site.

A High Court appeal from the developers challenging the conversation area status was dismissed in January 2015, and the stadium has continued to operate, but without speedway or greyhound racing, the two main draws of spectators to the venue. Go-karting still takes place in the centre of the speedway track, and the health and fitness centre remains open. The main complex at the stadium was emptied by the GRA in January 2013, shortly after the end of the greyhound racing.

Save Our Stadium chairman Ian Sawyer said: “It is crucial that the public turn up in numbers for the meeting with Bob Price on Thursday.

“He was keen to arrange an informal question & answer session, where he can update on any progress, and also it allows people to ask any questions or voice any concerns.

“The council remain aware of the importance of the speedway and greyhounds - plus all the other activities being held at the stadium - to the local community, and we need to display to them that our desire is not wavering.

“Personally I would love for the Oxford Cheetahs to return. My dad is desperate to see them racing again, and I’d enjoy nothing more than to be able to take my children along to see the Cheetahs in action, so that they can become hooked on the sport as well.

“We need to ensure the council are aware that there are many people out there with such feelings, and that the passion for the Oxford Cheetahs has not dimmed.

“We ask for as many people as possible to attend the meeting at the Chequers Pub in Beaumont Road, Oxford as possible.”

The full address of the venue is:

The Chequers

17A Beaumont Road

Headington Quarry

Oxford

OX3 8JN

What were the average attendances for speedway when it was last staged at Cowley Stadium?

Does anyone know why the council considers a CPO would not succeed?

Possibly because the Government is anxious to find as much land as possible for its current house building schedule? Only a thought.

Images of Cowley Stadium that I took, back in 2011, appear on that most excellent Web-Site 'Speedway Plus'. They make for depressing viewing even back then. Hate to imagine what the stadium must look like now?

Edited by steve roberts

Does anyone know why the council considers a CPO would not succeed?

I'd imagine that the two parties would be to far apart to agree on a "market value" for the stadium.

Images of Cowley Stadium that I took, back in 2011, appear on that most excellent Web-Site 'Speedway Plus'. They make for depressing viewing even back then. Hate to imagine what the stadium must look like now?

I tried to take a few photos last year but some bloke started getting a funny saying we dont want your sort round here. ( Kevin James ) as i later found out.

I will pop down there soon and take a few.

• Like 1