British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Interesting development. This is potentially a massive opportunity for British speedway. If the council get the site for under £10m, build 200 houses and make a £20m profit (assuming £100k per house), then they'd have plenty of cash to build a dedicated speedway stadium somewhere more suitable in the Oxford area.

Interesting development. This is potentially a massive opportunity for British speedway. If the council get the site for under £10m, build 200 houses and make a £20m profit (assuming £100k per house), then they'd have plenty of cash to build a dedicated speedway stadium somewhere more suitable in the Oxford area.

interesting idea, but when has a council ever pulled in a profit. My guess they'd still manage to make a hefty loss even with really good odds. ha ha. :)

interesting idea, but when has a council ever pulled in a profit. My guess they'd still manage to make a hefty loss even with really good odds. ha ha. :)

Deano, Councils have loads of dosh, stashed away in banks, apparently for the day of the apocalypse, WW3, or some other disaster contingency.. ridiculous amounts..

Just not for the benefit of the local people!! Shouldn't be allowed.

There's really nowhere in Oxford to build a new speedway stadium. Much of the undeveloped land is green belt and the city whilst Labour controlled, is completely surrounded by nimby Toryshire.

Potentially Standlake Arena could be developed into a speedway facility, but it's someway out of the city and in another local authority district. It's also absurd to be knocking down a perfectly good stadium and building another one.

There's really nowhere in Oxford to build a new speedway stadium. Much of the undeveloped land is green belt and the city whilst Labour controlled, is completely surrounded by nimby Toryshire.

Potentially Standlake Arena could be developed into a speedway facility, but it's someway out of the city and in another local authority district. It's also absurd to be knocking down a perfectly good stadium and building another one.

The Kassam Stadium and Greater Leys Estate were built on what was supposedly Green Belt land!

I recall Steve Purchase (Oxford Promoter 1998-2002) discussing the possibility of re-locating but in reality it was never going to happen. Cowley Stadium is a superb facility and it's a criminal shame that it has been allowed to deteriorate due to the stubbornness of the previous/present owners!

Edited by steve roberts

Sports facilities are compatible with the Green Belt. The difficulty is that the level of development must be limited to that directly required for the sport. This requirement is interpreted differently by each Council. In my area we have evidence of magnificent multi storey brick built grandstands (suitable for wedding receptions) in one area and when we approached a neighbouring Council we were told that temporary stands would have to be dismantled after each meeting.

Sadly, it all depends on how much the Council want the sport!!

Edited by Ommer Mon

I would imagine there are just as many NIMBYs who vote Labour, as vote Tory.

• Like 1

I would imagine there are just as many NIMBYs who vote Labour, as vote Tory.

But Labour doesn't control the area where any stadium would likely to be built.

But Labour doesn't control the area where any stadium would likely to be built.

Maybe I misunderstood your post. My understanding of your post, with reference to Labour and Toryshire, I thought you were referring to the general public. I see now, you mean outside of the city, the surrounding areas of Oxford are Tory controlled. Is it a fact that Tory councillors/MPs are less sympathetic to something like speedway than Labour councillors/MPs? I suppose so, if it is universally accepted that speedway is supported by the so called 'working man'.

Is it a fact that Tory councillors/MPs are less sympathetic to something like speedway than Labour councillors/MPs? I suppose so, if it is universally accepted that speedway is supported by the so called 'working man'.

There are plenty of nimbys in the city as well, quite probably Labour voting too. However, the City Council has generally been supportive of speedway down the years.

Having 'greasy biker types' making noise in the countryside - do you think the average shire Tory would be supportive?

There are plenty of nimbys in the city as well, quite probably Labour voting too. However, the City Council has generally been supportive of speedway down the years.

Having 'greasy biker types' making noise in the countryside - do you think the average shire Tory would be supportive?

I know that is the image we think the general public view speedway, but as supporters, we have to be careful we are not carrying a large chip on our shoulder, which is not going to be helpful in any negotiation.

I know that is the image we think the general public view speedway, but as supporters, we have to be careful we are not carrying a large chip on our shoulder, which is not going to be helpful in any negotiation.

It's not just speedway, but any form of motor sport in rural areas is subject to all sorts of irrational opposition. In fairness, it's often just a very small number of people who object, but they're often well resourced and council officers will often err on their side.

Nigel Mansell had to take a group of nimbys to the High Court to stop them shutting down his race track in Devon. In the end, the complainers (including Kirsty Allsopp) were exposed as a bunch of liars and fabricators and lost the case, but it cost something like a couple of million in legal costs.

Having said that though -

It's not just speedway, but any form of motor sport in rural areas is subject to all sorts of irrational opposition. In fairness, it's often just a very small number of people who object, but they're often well resourced and council officers will often err on their side.

Nigel Mansell had to take a group of nimbys to the High Court to stop them shutting down his race track in Devon. In the end, the complainers (including Kirsty Allsopp) were exposed as a bunch of liars and fabricators and lost the case, but it cost something like a couple of million in legal costs.

Having said that though -

Sadly, it will always be a fight, for any new motor sport venue and a continuing fight for any existing venue, as illustrated above and of course, the Mildenhall situation.

Sadly, it will always be a fight, for any new motor sport venue and a continuing fight for any existing venue, as illustrated above and of course, the Mildenhall situation.

I was talking to someone from Peterborough recently who mentioned that someone had bought a house near the East of England Showground and then complained about the noise generated by the bikes!

• Like 1