British Speedway Forum
Sotonian

Exeter - A Glimmer Of Hope?

AFAIK, none of Colin Hills money was used at Plymouth while Mike Bowden was there.

As for the suggestions that Allen Trump should have used his own money, I disagree. If Colin Hill had left the money to be used to help rehome Exeter and thats what Allen Trump spent the money on then it's reasonable enough. I doubt Allen Trump intentionally wasted it - business men tend to hate spending money, even other peoples!

I had a soft spot for Cradley Heath RayStadia but I'm a Middlesbro lad

as Tsunami says - just trying to be helpful - it is a forum you're right and you can say many things. You can even run a lame joke about Slough for about 3 months but you can't make serious accusations of dishonesty. And you did. Why the mods haven't responded - you need to ask them. Perhaps they're not fully aware of their legal obligations.

Anyway despite all of the above i really wish Exeter all the best - and Cradley for that matter - two proper speedway towns

• Like 1

AFAIK, none of Colin Hills money was used at Plymouth while Mike Bowden was there.

That matches up with my understanding that the Devils' link to Colin Hill's legacy only dates from former Exeter team manager David Short becoming heavily involved at Plymouth once Mike Bowden was no longer in charge.

That matches up with my understanding that the Devils' link to Colin Hill's legacy only dates from former Exeter team manager David Short becoming heavily involved at Plymouth once Mike Bowden was no longer in charge.

Thats my understanding too.

As for the suggestions that Allen Trump should have used his own money, I disagree. If Colin Hill had left the money to be used to help rehome Exeter and thats what Allen Trump spent the money on then it's reasonable enough. I doubt Allen Trump intentionally wasted it - business men tend to hate spending money, even other peoples!

Unfortunately, we can't ask Mr Hill if he is happy how his legacy has been, allegedly, spent. I wonder if it is usual to spend a lot of money on the legal side, when setting up a speedway track? Genuine question and not trying to be controversial. Obviously solicitors are needed for legal contracts, such as leases and rental agreements. If someone is looking to a solicitor/lawyer to forward appeals or defend objections, I can imagine you might have an 'open cheque book' scenario. Let's hope the new team are successful with or without Mr Hill's legacy.

• Like 1

If it's true, it's not slander or libel!

Whether it's true or false it's an easy accusation to make on here and then try to be clever after the event.

I drove form Plymouth to Exeter every Monday for about 20 years to support The Falcons and some fans rubbed our noses in the dirt about there being no track at Plymouth.

Thank goodness there is one track in Devon now.

It would help Plymouth if more 'speedway supporters' from Exeter made the trip along the A38 to help!! (Just as I did for 20 years supporting Exeter).

I really hope that Exeter come back in to the sport ... in the meantime I'm looking forward to the rest of the season with a strong Devils team!

• Like 1

It would help Plymouth if more 'speedway supporters' from Exeter made the trip along the A38 to help!! (Just as I did for 20 years supporting Exeter).

Whilst i see where your coming from , many like myself dont like tiny tracks , the County Ground it aint. And contrary to what a few folk have said earlier , the Haldon project was more of a feasability study , and next to no legal fees were involved. There were expenses , but few legal on the scale mentioned.

Whilst i see where your coming from , many like myself dont like tiny tracks , the County Ground it aint. And contrary to what a few folk have said earlier , the Haldon project was more of a feasability study , and next to no legal fees were involved. There were expenses , but few legal on the scale mentioned.

And, unless my memory is wrong, I recall all the hurdles were overcome, but the race track owners wanted silly money to lease/rent the land and wanted a long term commitment. I could be wrong, but that is what is in the 'memory banks'. However, why the discussion over the cost of using the land and lease/rent terms were left to the back end (if what I am saying is correct), that to me, seems a strange way to get a track up and running. But I am happy to be corrected and 'shot down in flames'!

And, unless my memory is wrong, I recall all the hurdles were overcome, but the race track owners wanted silly money to lease/rent the land and wanted a long term commitment. I could be wrong, but that is what is in the 'memory banks'. However, why the discussion over the cost of using the land and lease/rent terms were left to the back end (if what I am saying is correct), that to me, seems a strange way to get a track up and running. But I am happy to be corrected and 'shot down in flames'!

It was never a starter really and those who thought it was need a reality check. I only live 2 miles from the racecourse and even in summer you'd have meetings abandoned due to fog. Its on too high ground for evening speedway.

• Like 1

Used to love my visits to Exeter.

Why was Hills money used recently at Plymouth - surely for a club that reportedly get about 1000 fans a week and have been near the foot of the PL since coming up , the club should be making a good enough profit?!

Plymouth gates are about 500 not 1000.

Another problem at Haldon was ownership changed from local to the Jockey Club part way through the project and they requires that a brick stand incorporating toilets/showers catering area etc be built before it could open, however they also requires that they could use the facilities to support a caravan park/camping ground that they proposed to open rent free

That wwas the straw that broke the camels back as far as speedway at Haldon was concerned

I was watching one of those we want to move to Devon and buy a house programme afew weeks ago, in it there was an aerial shot of a Rgby club in Exmouth and there it was, an oval track all the way around the rugby pitch.

I tried e mailing details to Rob Doran but havent heard anything from him

The Plymouth crowds must have drastically decreased over the last year or so to be only about 500.

Plymouth gates are about 500 not 1000.

Another problem at Haldon was ownership changed from local to the Jockey Club part way through the project and they requires that a brick stand incorporating toilets/showers catering area etc be built before it could open, however they also requires that they could use the facilities to support a caravan park/camping ground that they proposed to open rent free

That wwas the straw that broke the camels back as far as speedway at Haldon was concerned

I was watching one of those we want to move to Devon and buy a house programme afew weeks ago, in it there was an aerial shot of a Rgby club in Exmouth and there it was, an oval track all the way around the rugby pitch.

I tried e mailing details to Rob Doran but havent heard anything from him

Bit close to houses, but well spotted there old chap.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Exmouth+Rugby+Club/@50.620556,-3.417727,1679m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x486d0a99bf67f243:0x983639b10d3ab1ff!6m1!1e1

phlipp have you actually come to plymouth to see the racing, its proper spheres out racing not half lap between riders as County Ground often was. The racing is close and many changes between riders virtually every lap, come and take a look, Plymouth has fans who comr from Berwick, Coventry and Halifax on a regular basis, so come down the 38 and give it a try.

• Like 1

wow there really are some billy big bolloks on here!.....so does anybody know if Colin Hills "money" is still intact and available for the resurrection of Exeter speedway or has it been used elsewhere?...and if so where.....for the billy bolloks on here I wont sue or prosecute you for the details in the answer!