British Speedway Forum
Sotonian

David Howe Annonces His Retitrement

Good luck for the future, David.

A real stalwart for Scunthorpe and a nice bloke (probably too nice!).

On his day he was untouchable. I saw him get an immaculate 5 ride max at Sheffield for the Scorpions but then he had the gasstrack accident and was never the same again.

A quality statement from a quality sportsman. Like everyone else, I wish you a long and happy retirement from racing David.

My favourite memory is British Final night at Wolverhampton in 2007 and the sheer delight you showed in clinching the Cardiff GP wild card. I think everyone in the stadium was delighted for you because, not only did you deserve it on the night, but also because of how much it meant to you.

Edited by LionsDen
  • Like 1

I was always hoping David might finish his career riding for his home town club in the Premier League but it wasn't to be. Good luck for the future David. Sensible decision to get out while you are relatively still in one piece.

David played a big part in our title win in 2002 and was always very capable of beating some very good riders around Monmore. I can't think of many riders who divided opinion among the Wolves fans as he did. Some people adored him and others couldn't bear the sight of him. Personally I thought he suffered occasionally by being in a position above where he should have been in the side. The management always had big hope's for him being the second heat leader, but he never quite managed it despite considerable effort, and was targeted by the boo boys for it.

Always gave 100% though. Good luck David in what you do in the future. He's doing the right thing getting out whole in one piece.

Edited by mb1990

I don't think David was hated or disliked by many Wolves fans at all, certainly not by myself. Issues were caused by a poster bigging him up nonstop and debates ensued from there.

As the post above says he was an integral part of the 2002 title winning team and a loyal rider during his time at Wolves. An excellent second string/3rd heat leader who mastered the Monmore track.

Again as the poster says above, the problems came when he was asked to become the 2nd heat leader in the team, a level he never quite reached... there is no shame in that at all! The fault for that lay with the management.. the division between Wolves fans came between fans who saw he was unfairly being asked to ride in that position and those who thought he'd be World Champion.

I sincerely wish David all the best in his retirement and thank him for the entertainment provided over the years.

• Like 3

I don't think David was hated or disliked by many Wolves fans at all, certainly not by myself. Issues were caused by a poster bigging him up nonstop and debates ensued from there.

As the post above says he was an integral part of the 2002 title winning team and a loyal rider during his time at Wolves. An excellent second string/3rd heat leader who mastered the Monmore track.

Again as the poster says above, the problems came when he was asked to become the 2nd heat leader in the team, a level he never quite reached... there is no shame in that at all! The fault for that lay with the management.. the division between Wolves fans came between fans who saw he was unfairly being asked to ride in that position and those who thought he'd be World Champion.

I sincerely wish David all the best in his retirement and thank him for the entertainment provided over the years.

I think his spat with Sam caused a few to turn on him in fairness. Again, the management bigging him up to be something he wasn't didn't help either.

did the problems with Sam start after the Peterborough incident at the showgound. I was right in line with this and at the time thought Sam knocked David off deliberately or at the least it was a very hard move

did the problems with Sam start after the Peterborough incident at the showgound. I was right in line with this and at the time thought Sam knocked David off deliberately or at the least it was a very hard move

Yes, I was there.

I don't think there was anything intentional, just a racing incident.

David; thank you for sharing this with us; much respect; you have provided lots of entertainment for us all on the speedways down the years especially here at Scunthorpe.

We never overlook the thin margins all riders tread in pursuit of this sport; so although injuries have brought about your decision; you have given your all; and walk away safely and surely satisfied with all that you have achieved.

All the best to you and your family for the future and thanks for the memories.

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone

• Like 1

All the best David. hope you enjoy a long and happy life after speedway-you deserve it. I'm sure everyone on the speedway family thinks the same and would like to thank you for all you've given our great sport.

Good luck, and best wishes for whatever you choose to do in the future, David.

Hi David

Thanks for explaining your decision so clearly. I have always admired your professional approach to the sport and the way in which you tackled almost every aspect of track racing. It was particularly pleasing when you were among the top Brits on the Long track and European grasstrack scene.

I was a spectator at that Worcester GT when you fell on the first corner, right in front of us. I could never have imagined that such a "typical" fall could have had such big consequences.

I wish you every success in whatever you decide to do next.

A well put statement, I wish you all the success and happiness in life you gave us entertainment and will never be forgotten for that so enjoy the retirement from the sport all the best.

Good of a rider to tell it how it is. Best of Luck for the future David Howe.

Thank you David for all the entertainment you have given us fans over many years. I well remember your short time with the Kings Lynn Team, you had a storming start, sadly cut short by injury. What ever you decide to do in the future, may I wish you health and happiness, and if you are in the Kings Lynn area, don't forget to pop in and see us on a Wednesday night!