British Speedway Forum
Sotonian

David Howe Annonces His Retitrement

always thought david was a bit like simon stead and a few other brits I suppose in that he never reached hes full potential.when I used to go to monmore regular I remember a few years when he looked like he would move to the next level. saw him get knocked off at Peterborough by sam in the late 2000s when I think he broke an ankle.never seemed the same after that.all the best in retirement and a sensible decision

About 1998, I talked with Jim Lynch about Newcastle using his young riders on loan at Newcastle, just before they went into the EL. Jim said "**** ***** is 16 going on 15, ***** ***** is 17 going on 18, and David Howe is 17 going on 30. You can't have him". Great respect for a youngster even at that age. Followed his career with interest since, and he could have been so much better but for his injuries.

Memories of a couple of years ago David scoring a 15 max whilst guesting for us at home, and i think it was the easiest maximum I have seen. He was just so good that night, and went on to be our regular guest after that. If only!!!!!

• Like 1

Excellent comment by David. I wish him well in his retirement and thank him for the entertainment he gave me.

I remember a brilliant Maximum at Brough Park two or three years ago. A wonderful performance from, to me anyway, a super Rider.

Very best wishes in your post Speedway days David.

Good luck for your future David, always one of my favourites to watch at Newport - some very good memories.

• Like 1

Have a long and happy retirement. Thanks for the entertainment.

Best wishes thanks for all the great memories squire good luck with a relatively pain free future

I Know the last couple of seasons have been tough for Dave and I like many others have watched him struggle around scunny. But when things went well he was a force around the Scunthorpe track and will be sorely missed along with his family.Good luck for the future David hope you have a long and Happy retirment

Your health is everything and you gave it one last try for us in glasgow, we really appreciate that david. Look forwards and never backwards and we hope you can find a role in british speedway to make it amazing once again.

• Like 1

Clearly a guy who has given his all to British speedway. As he says himself, not a world beater but guys like David are the heart of speedway.

All the best for the future.

Thank you David, for the entertainment you have given, and for being a credit to the sport. I remember your early days when you had after meeting practices at Sheffield, racing the likes of James Birkinshaw and Mark Blackwell.

The BSPA should create a small group of people to try and point things in the right direction, such as yourself, Gary Havelock, Sean Wilson, Jimmy McMillan, Tony Steele, Neil Machin for example, and attempt to rescue the sport before it's too late.

Best wishes for the future. Stay safe.