British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Tactical Rides - Tactical Substitute - Guest Rules

The scenario some time this year……..

Fan chatting to a mate who has no idea about speedway.

Mate: So you lost last night then.

Fan: Yeah 50-49.

Mate: Bad result then.

Fan: Ish.

Mate: What do you mean ish.

Fan: Well we only dropped 26 points out of our available 75.

Mate: Right. (pause) the other team must have dropped more, ‘cause they won!

Fan: No they dropped 34 out of 84.

Mate: Why did they have the opportunity to score 84 when you could only score 75.

Fan: Well, we were too good.

Mate: But you lost!

Fan: Yeah.

Mate: Couldn’t you have ridden better?

Fan: Well, it would actually have helped our cause is we had ridden worst.

Mate: What!

Fan: Yeah, us being good gave them the opportunity to score more points.

Mate: Right? (pause) So percentage wise you dropped less points than them and lost, but if you had ridden worst it would have helped you win.

Fan: Yeah. (pause) Fancy coming next week?

Mate: No...... No thanks.

Anyone know how this affects bonus points for team riding?

Frinstance, a TR or TS is last his team mate is 3rd. The 3rd place rider slows down to allow the rider on double to take a point to get 2 points from this situation. What happens to the "team rider who ends up last behind his team mate. Does he score Nil or Nil plus a bonus? Bloody silly idea. Still need an answer as I do the averages on a spreadsheet.

Can anyone see this lasting more than one season?

TR, points count as what would have normally been scored. ie 3 - 2 - 1 - 0

TS, points scored are not used in calculating averages.

Partners bonus points are scored as normal including TS ride.

Edited by born_2b_mad

Can anyone see this lasting more than one season?

There's one thing that might be able to ensure this rule lasts an absolute minimum...

If we can get enough people to fill this in, perhaps they will consider doing something about this ridiculous rule...

sign the petition against the rule that's ruining speedway.

Edited by panthersfan

When I first attended speedway in 1987, I seem to remember that it took me 3 - 4 meetings to get to grips with the basic rules - Tactical subs, rider replacement etc. I have not been in a position to attend regularly since about '95, but until the past couple of year had always managed a few meetings each season, thus ensuring I stayed reasonably up to date. NOW I am looking forward to attending my first meeting in a long while tonight at Foxhall ("Come on you Witches!!!") and am in the position of being completely flummoxed by all these ridiculous new rules!

Whatever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

In view of the farces of riders deliberately not finishing in order to fall 8 pts behind (Stoke vs Glasgow, Eastbourne vs Poole, Newcastle vs Reading), it has been suggested to revert to previous tac sub after 6 pts behind.

However lets not kid ourselves, riders still threw points away to fall 6 pts behind also. :sad:

The only solution to arrest this growing trend, is to scrap all forms of tac subs/tac rides, and revert to only permitting reserves to take additional rides in hts 1 -14, with each rider guaranteed a minimum of 3 rides.

It ain't new - this is how it used to work in the good old days when the sport had some credibility.

Guest slider

Something has to be done about the tactical rules sooner rather than later. We cannot have" race fixing" blatant or otherwise particularly when we now allow betting. The whole sport will be viewed as a farce.

We probably need to get rid of tactical subs/rides or whatever - you cannot reward under achievement !

TR, points count as what would have normally been scored. ie 3 - 2 - 1 - 0

TS, points scored are not used in calculating averages.

Partners bonus points are scored as normal including TS ride.

something ive never quite been able to work out but...

in a TS ride, the pts (and the ride!) get ignored for the guy who has started on the handicap.

however, his partner still gets awarded a bonus pt (included in his average too!) if he finishes behind him.

how can you get a bonus pt for finishing behind someone who wasnt supposedly even there in the first place?? :lol:

I have been out of the game for a while and I find the new tactical substitute rules confusing too. I also experienced first hand last week Andre Compton throwing a race during Sheffield v Hull. Its something I never saw under the old rules, so back to them ASAP.

Given a ridiculous but entirely possible conclusion, you could have two riders trying to finish behin an opponent..........