British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Panthers89

Edinburgh Monarchs Vs Workington/panthers, Pl 7/8/15

Ricky Wells won the meeting for the Panthers tonight and was ably backed by Lambert with the rest all scoring reasonable points against a virtual 3 man Monarchs team.

No doubt the best team won

• Like 1

The Monarchs look vulnerable at reserve and R/r does not work as well when you rely on your top 5.

Despite the result wasnt too disappointed. Score was kept close throughout and some decent racing (more close racing than passing) with a great battle between Wells and Sedgy.

Some inspired guests for Panthers with Wells (who I always enjoy watching round the dale) and Wethers who may not have scored many always had the beating of our two.

Lambert showed his maturity on track taking a few rides to get the hang then looking likes hes ridden the place for years very impressed with him. Blackbird another who came to the party later on and got some valuable points similar to MPT.

For our side Cookie, Sedgy and Wolbert could all have scored a point or so more but where well beaten when they lost heats. The tail end always has me a little worried but took a wee step backwards 2nite. Clegg was dreadful from the gate and although never gave up left himself to much to do. Riss had a great win but some really duff rides aswel wee bit constancy needed. Felt sorry for Branford 2nite (and most night) he seems to ride with the weight of the world on him and in heat 14 made a suberb start and lead most the way before just over doing it and allowed MPT to catch and pass.

We have bounced back before after a home defeat and hope we can do it again but a big ask without Masters. Before this meeting I had Glasgow and Edin nailed on for 1st/2nd but Pboro have just joined the party this weekend (and tues) could decide if Edin will challenge for that top spot.

Edited by Cj69
  • Like 1

Maybe this is the answer to our problem's at Armadale, the Comets should go there disguised as some other team, Wells 15, Wethers 5, that's almost halfway toward's a result? ;)

As I previously forecast, Panthers choice of guests, r/r for Grondal and Masters absence for the Monarchs would result in a Panthers win.

Wells was superb and was the best rider on show and the other five visitors all made telling contrubutions during the match to ensure a deserved victory for Peterborough.

The continued absence of Sam Masters (his hand is scheduled to be in plaster for a further two weeks) which r/r cannot compenste adequately for his scoring power, imo makes it unlikely Monarchs will pick up any league points in their remaing away fixtures.

Ipswich will fancy their chances at the Dale next Friday in the League Cup semi final, as will Somerset, the following Friday.

We probably have a sufficient points cushion to finish in the top six and hopefully come the Play - Offs, are at full strength.

Edited by cyclone

Well done to the Panthers - ably assisted by a couple of Comets. I thought this would be a tough match and so it proved. This was the wrong match for our reserves to both have an off night. They seemed to have a problem with the track and it did seem different tonight - it was not conducive to overtaking with only really one stand out race when Wells and Sedgy passed and re-passed in heat 8.

The closeness of the scores kept it tense and exciting but it was ultimately disappointing for the home support in what looked a pretty good-sized crowd. Needing a heat advantage from the last heat to win, I thought we had no chance with Kevin going from Gate 4 against Lambert & Wells who were riding so well. I thought we should have put them the other way round or Kevin off 1 and Cookie off 3 if we had the pick (not sure if we did).

Like the loss against Glasgow, our opponents lined up with a very strong opening pairing - maybe other teams will now try to copy that. We bounced back from the Glasgow defeat by going through to Ashfield and thumping the Tigers. I think it will be much more difficult to do that at Rye, Peterborough & Somerset over the next few days as we are still without Sam (& with an NL replacement for Erik at Rye). But you never know with this Monarchs team.

• Like 1

Credit to the Edinburgh fans who were very humble in defeat in the bar after the meeting. Got a feeling we might have to do the same tomorrow.

• Like 2

Credit to the Edinburgh fans who were very humble in defeat in the bar after the meeting. Got a feeling we might have to do the same tomorrow.

Not of we seriously want to win the league. We cannot afford any further slip ups at home.

Edinburgh without Masters are there for the taking on the road

Not the best of nights last night. With Erik, Max and Rob not having a great night we were always going to have a problem. But well done to the Panthers.

The quicker Sam gets back the better.

larf. in what heat did sick note protect the vastly experienced Ricky wells from an opposing rider ? looks like a straight forward win for tricky to me. unless you were there , were you ?

(small edit on your post )

i don't expect a reply from the daffodil basher, some thing tells me he wasn't there. i await with baited breath.

good job i wasnt hanging by my bills waiting for a reply from the daffodil basher (morrisey fan )lambert protecting wells .. get real, stop fantasising planker.

Ipswich will fancy their chances at the Dale next Friday in the League Cup semi final,

No Danny King, no Nico Covatti, no Stefan Nielsen and possibly no Gino Manzares! Don't think we'll be fancying our chances at all! :(

nasty comment .

No more nasty than some of your spiteful comments about young Lambert

Why don't you grow a pair and get your arse on a bike