Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

I know it’s early but thinking into next season, but as Len has always announced his team before anyone else, I’d start the thread for Rockets 2016 [perhaps the old boy may take note from us :nono: ]

Of the 2015 lot who’d I keep?

Top of that list would be Nikolai Busk Jakobsen. He’s been brilliant this year and he could be a real number one next season.

Next on the list would be Kasper Lykke. Been a bit unlucky with injuries this year and hopefully will steer clear next year of any injuries.

Edward Kennett, if I’m honest I’m not sure. When he’s good he’s truly brilliant, but does have a habit of blowing out in heat 15. But he is a Rye asset with the swap that was concluded with the Jason Garrity swap earlier in the season. He must be due a testimonial soon, so he’ll probably be back.

Steve Boxall, he’s another one who’s had a season finishing injury. Perhaps if his average is lower enough, he is a good second string/reserve but not a heat-leader.

Robin Aspergren has filled a void, at times brilliant, others time like at Edinburgh utter rubbish, so time to move on I think.

Luke Bowen has ridden really well since his break away early season. No doubt Len will have him back. I’ll upset loads of people by saying personally I wouldn’t.

Another rider who hasn’t been brilliant but consistent is Anders Mellgren so I’d keep him.

The German Danny Maassen, well the jury is still out. He rode well at Berwick, also scored points last Saturday at Rye. He was keen to come to England, has immaculate machinery and if he scores points for the remainder of the season worth considering!

Of course all this will be pie in the sky if Rye go Elite, which has been a rumour circulating for a few months. I pray to god that doesn’t happen.

• Like 1

Can't think why people spread this rumour about EL. On Rye's attendances it would be a financial disaster.

I would keep Kennett next year, although he has a mental block over heat 15 I think he's been a good number 1 this year.

• Like 1

no chance of Rye House going Elite...

Cannot even get a half decent crowd when the x-factor is in direct competition....

• Like 1

I would be happy if rye continued at PL level, but the way the sport is going in the south east it might be NL only!

NBJ would be my only definite to retain at this point. Now he is an asset Kennett will stay I think, he's a proper number one so there can be no complaints about that. If NBJ carries on as he is Kennett might not even be at number one next year.

Of the rest I'd keep Kasper on the right average. Mellgren has never kicked on as he should have, yes he's had injuries but we can't keep bringing him back to average six. Boxall, no. He's had far too many chances now. Robin is too inconsistent. Maassen shouldn't have been signed in the first place. Luke I'd like to see lead the Raiders side.

I'd like to see us make a move for Branford as our bottom averaged rider. If he is enjoying his time as a Raider it isn't inconceivable he would be willing to swap Edinburgh for Rye in the PL.

If we have the powerful top two of NBJ and Kennett we can certainly build a team to challenge for the title and if we don't then it would be an outrage.

Edited by Ben91
  • Like 1

Been working on next years team while in the pub yesterday. I reckon we've nailed it. PL champs 2016 ;)

• Like 2

Been working on next years team while in the pub yesterday. I reckon we've nailed it. PL champs 2016 ;)

How many teams were in your League though,that is the question?
  • Like 1

How many teams were in your League though,that is the question?

Didn't get that far. We were only there for an hour

• Like 1

Think Mellgren needs a move away. Quality rider but seems to of gone a bit stale at Rye - despite the injuries.

That said he had a horrific back injury that maby wouldnt of returned from. Was hoping hed be pushing kennett for number one this year tho.

Think Mellgren needs a move away. Quality rider but seems to of gone a bit stale at Rye - despite the injuries.

That said he had a horrific back injury that maby wouldnt of returned from. Was hoping hed be pushing kennett for number one this year tho.

If you watch him regularly you'd see he's just not right. Far to tentative and looks stiff on the bike at times. Not surprising with a metal rod in his back Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

If you watch him regularly you'd see he's just not right. Far to tentative and looks stiff on the bike at times. Not surprising with a metal rod in his back

I could do with one of those metal rods by sound of it,not im my back like.......

If you watch him regularly you'd see he's just not right. Far to tentative and looks stiff on the bike at times. Not surprising with a metal rod in his back

i heard he came back from his injuries where are you too early

He has equly as much talent as nbja but injuriew held him bqck - big shame

Maybe bradley wilson dean will be rockets bound, he i think will now be going in on a 7.00 average though, so dont know if any PL club will gamble.

Maybe bradley wilson dean will be rockets bound, he i think will now be going in on a 7.00 average though, so dont know if any PL club will gamble.

Wouldn't go anywhere near him on that average.

• Like 2

Well assuming there would be no dodgy Lakeside agreement for Edward Kennett he would be my top of the list for next year. Kasper is such a great prospect and has improved dramatically since his first season with us he would be another added to my team. I think we have gone far too far with employing foreign (european) riders this year due to their unavailability and would seriously look at NBJ and his obligations away from Rye next year. He would potentially be number one and missing meetings as he has done this season is not on. Robin has been far to inconsistent to gain a place fro next year and Anders just doesn't seem to be the same rider as he was prior to his back injury. I may be alone but i think Danny is worth a punt at reserve. Opposite to Kasper he looks like he can gate and just needs a season to get more experience of our tracks.

Luke has come back well from his spell out but i doubt i would retain him for next year.

I think Len has really messed up with his attitude towards Australians. Year on year another batch come through, are top quality and above all are reliable. Just because he found the one that was a problem doesn't mean all should be tarred with the same brush. He needs to get his licence to employ back up to scratch and be able able to bring in the right Aussie.

As for the EL links i hope they are wrong. I wouldn't be so dismissive of the rumours but maybe a little clue that we will be PL again came in the "maybe next year comment" aimed at Robert Lambert. No way would he be available at EL level as he will be back at Lynn but another season with Peterborough may well be in doubt