British Speedway Forum

This was on the cards as soon as Len Silver severed his ties with Rye House I'm surprised that anyone's surprised.

• Like 1

Can't comment on the new promotion but must comment on the sad news re John Sampford. Having worked with John over a long period at Ryehouse speedway both good and bad circumstances I can only say you would have to look a long way to find a better human being or a better person. His consideration for the lads he has worked with over the years, his honesty and his knowledge of the game are exemplary. His reliable, patient and diligent nature for very little reward will be a massive loss to the club. Take it from me he had been the butt of many of my jokes over the years but never one fall out. Top man John, we are proud to be considered friends.

• Like 1

New logo and colours appear to Orange and Black, just like the cars. No more yellow and blue. Just notice the Rye House website has been revamped to match.

Boy oh boy. Yes John Sampford wasnt ever your pin up team manager, but he did and still does know the rule book inside out.

It isnt easy being a team manager, ask last years Witches Team Manager! But John has been a Rockets supporter since time began, well almost..

Both his parents were ardent Rockets supporters and when they passed away a few years apart I recall a minutes silence was held impeccably by the crowd and the riders alike for both his mum & dad.

Speedway probably kept him going in what would have been dark times for John.

But as they say time is a great healer.

Jumping forward to now, well the new team manager, who was going to be one half of the team managers role is now solo. To my knowledge Peter hasnt any experience as such in a team managers role and as I have already stated it isnt as easy as people think.

Im all for a new promotion making changes, sweeping dead wood springs to mind. But theyve gone far too far in my opinion.

It started last year when the lovely turnstile girls disappeared. Then the paramedic whos become a regular Simon Small disappeared. Remember this was the man who treated Simon Stead after that awful accident.

Then the biggest of all the mistakes was the getting rid of Andrew Silver. What an absolute cock up made by BMR.

Talking of BMR here I have another beef I and many other supports have to. Steve Jangling Keys Jenson was at the start of the season the stadium manager. Then around the time of Andrews forced departure he became co-promoter.

We all believed Warren Scott was the main man and Im told he still is, but thus far weve not heard a dicky bird [what a great umpire he was] from the main man at all, and virtually nothing from the key man here Steve Jenson, who it appears is running the show on behalf of Scott. Well I think Scott needs beaming up, or beaming down to publically state what his plans are at Rye. I heard people say yesterday at the celebration of speedway its complicated whats going on at Rye. Having press statements should be from individuals, even if its from coco the clown [could he do a better job, probably?] but not from BMR!

Anyway digressing away, after Andrew was told not to come back to the Hoddesdon raceway the NL team trundled on, minus Luke Chessell who obviously had also had enough. Im guessing Andrew probably said words to the effect ride and get paid, well Im assuming they all got paid, rumours did suggest otherwise at one time last season.

Then the last meeting of the season the Pair of Aces Len took a backward role, knowing full well this would be his last meeting at Rye. He was totally blanked that night. Outrageous! This man did have his bad points, [havent we all] but his heart and soul like John Sampford was Rye House speedway. They whoever BMR are could and should have at least laid something on for the old feller, even if it was thanking Len for all his hard work in 2015 if Len didnt want it announced he was leaving Rye. But nothing!

The close season and another monumental cock up of utter disbelief was the releasing of NBJ, unbelievable!

I could go on, but for those who say you have to give the new promoters a chance, well the above quite frankly feels me with no hope for 2016. I wonder wholl be next on the chopping block. I can understand a few mistakes by a rooky promoter but since Len sold to Warren Scott its been one ginormous cock after the other both on and off the track!

Will I be going to Rye in 2016? Well yes Ill start the season but I may get banned so if all of a sudden secret agent John Drake disappears from the terracing at Rye youll know whats happened!

Hate to say it but it's looking like another slow sad demise for the Rockets.
  • Like 2

Just like to add my condolences to the departure of John S. In my dealings with him, he was fearlessly loyal to both Rye House and Len, and appeared to be a thoroughly decent human being. I know others will mock the old fashioned image he had , but as said before by others, he knew his way around the rule book more than any of his detractors. I wonder what he will do now, join Len at Kent I wonder. Best of luck whatever he does.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

HaHa - Just checked out the new Rye website and clicked on the link for sponsorship - it took me to a blank page and I noticed the link was wrong as it said SPOONsorship - perhaps it's karma :wink:

New logo and colours appear to Orange and Black, just like the cars. No more yellow and blue. Just notice the Rye House website has been revamped to match.

38 years of history gone in a flash

• Like 2

Bye Bye to the Yellow and Blue halves is an awful decision.

I have tried to be balanced this winter and support the new management but this was a bad decision IMO. Gone with the body colour ( its even worse than Ronnie Russells effort) goes a small part of my club I have loved since 1970 and hence that much easier to leave the whole lot behind if in the future Im not satisfied with the show (you better deliver a good product now)

So so SO sad but not unexpected.

Gone are the old regime.

Bye bye Rye as we all knew & loved.

No more Magnificent Men in their flying machines, no more Silvers, no more Yellow & Blue etc etc.

Very worrying times for Rye Fans, no experienced personel there now & Peter Schroeck??? Do me a favour, How did that even happen?

Key jangling Steve has f##ked up big time over & over again.

Feel sorry for the riders but I guess that's Speedway!

Bring on 2016 the season of discontent.

So so SO sad but not unexpected.

Gone are the old regime.

Bye bye Rye as we all knew & loved.

No more Magnificent Men in their flying machines, no more Silvers, no more Yellow & Blue etc etc.

Very worrying times for Rye Fans, no experienced personel there now & Peter Schroeck??? Do me a favour, How did that even happen?

Key jangling Steve has f##ked up big time over & over again.

Feel sorry for the riders but I guess that's Speedway!

Bring on 2016 the season of discontent.

I can understand the Rye House supporters being upset with the changes that have taken place , I know I would feel the same if this happened to my club. Maybe there intentions are good but they are unintentionally misguided , I have my doubts .Yes it's a new start ,but I think the new owners have gone way over the top with so many radical changes , and it's not exactly the best way to keep fans wanting to turn up week and week out and they don't seem to be endearing themselves to the people that pay to watch them race . I hope things work out o/k for the rockets ,I hate to see any team go out of the sport we have lost far too many teams in the past for various different reasons .It certainly makes you wonder what the new managements genuine intentions are for the future

Thanks to John for the years of loyal service he gave to Rye. Only spoke to him a couple of times but a very decent and approachable man. Hope he's not completely lost to the sport.

As for the other things, I'm not overly fussed by the changes yet as change happens in any business and this is no different however I think the pressure will be on to be winning otherwise I fear for what are already small attendances.

Looks like BMR are going to make more use of the stadium with the Rye House flat track team including someone expected to bring people in to watch.

Time will tell.

38 years of history gone in a flash

Lack of communication once again. Seemed to have been more effort for the recent flat track announcement than any meaningful statements about the big speedway decisions taking place. Maybe it's just a lack of understanding of managing a team/spectator league sport.

Hopefully it will all work out.

Searching for something positive to say but really struggling. The new logos just don't do it for me for a start, while the blue and yellow are synonymous with Rye House in Speedway circles. This shouldn't have been changed.

Quotes coming from 'Team BMR' don't sound professional, there needs to be a person attached to what is being said, otherwise it feels impersonal. Who is saying these things about the club, the riders etc? What weight does their opinion hold?

The team that has been put together is simply not good, people need to stop trying to sugarcoat it. One heat leader, 4 second strings, an untried newbie who by most accounts will struggle and our mandatory three pointer.

A new regime want to make their mark, that is understandable, but you have to embrace the things that already make the place tick and the people that come through the gates each week. 'It's my toy and I'll do what I like with it' or words to that effect didn't work for Silver, a man who had given us two league titles and managed to get speedway back into the stadium at Rye, for the new promotion to seemingly be going down the same route there is no chance it will work for them.

We need a vision of where the club is going on and off track, it can and should be an exciting time for fans, a new era. How do the promotion make it that? Communication. Tell us what is happening, tell us why it is happening and we will be more content and happier as a fanbase. Tell us why the team building was a huge balls up, tell us why Nicolai Klindt decided he'd rather go to Leicester/Scunthorpe. Smoke and mirrors don't help anybody.

Edited by Ben91
  • Like 3