Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

38 years of history gone in a flash

68 more like. The Rockets started out in 1948 at Rayleigh. it's now 42 years since the move to Hoddesdon.

Very sad to see the colours changed and doesn't indicate a great deal of understanding by the new owners, just making the two teams part of their wider motor sport brand. It's not the first time that the yellow and blue's been threatened - the Lea/Lee Valley Park Authority wanted us to change to the park's green, blue and white once.

I'd suggest the supporters keep the colours and let the new owners see the folly of their decision for themselves. Obviously they're new to speedway and still have much to learn.

Also sad to see John Sampford lose his job. He's one of the most loyal Rye House supporters and servants I know. Way before he was offered the job in the 1999 comeback season you always knew there would be at least one Rocket fan at a meeting, no matter how far away from home.

Sadly shabby treatment of people is one of speedway's biggest problems. Eventually you run out of people to dump on.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

68 more like. The Rockets started out in 1948 at Rayleigh. it's now 42 years since the move to Hoddesdon.

Blimey, I didn't realise it'd been that long. I had 1968 in my head for some reason. The 38 years is just a heads gone poor maths moment on my part. Thanks for correcting.

I'd like to echo your words regarding John. We used to have a good rapport until my personal spat with Len Silver. As a fellow postie I wish him well and thank him for his efforts and loyal service.

Silver, a man who had given us two league titles

Three Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

Three

Of course, I was referring to his second stint though.

John Sampford has done a good job over the years.

The new broom is sweeping through.

Good luck to Rye House for the future.

Great to hear the dreaded camber on bends 1&2 is/has been taken away!!

• Like 2

Of course, I was referring to his second stint though.

Even I don't remember the first one!

Lack of communication once again. Seemed to have been more effort for the recent flat track announcement than any meaningful statements about the big speedway decisions taking place. Maybe it's just a lack of understanding of managing a team/spectator league sport.

Hopefully it will all work out.

For my liking, BMR's tenure contains too many similarities to BSI's tenure at Reading (including changing team colours and nickname without considering the views of supporters) and we all know how that turned out.............................

People have made their views of John Sampford very plain in the past. Given what's happened since BMR bought the club, John being given the heave-ho is no real surprise to me but the timing is appalling on several levels.

Given the awful last few years for the Rockets generally and the experience since BMR's bought the club, it hardly breeds confidence or enthusiasm.

• Like 1

There are positives.

The admission prices for Premier League matches are unchanged. The camber on the first bend, it would appear, has been done away with. Stuart Robson refers to 'substantial investment' at the track. let's wait and see how the season pans out. At the end of the day the team that you start the season with doesn't mean too much if you make the right changes when the averages change.

The loss of John Sampford is a blow, given his experience, but we really don't know what happened behind the scenes. It seems to me that if they wanted him out all along then the deed would have been done at the end of last season. At the end of the day the reasons for his departure are between BMR and John Sampford.

Whilst I don't like the idea of doing away with 68 years of tradition the change of colours and logos is surely an attempt to modernise the club, something that supporters have been asking for for ages. I have to say, though, that I am not a fan of the Rockets logo.

Looking forward to the season and if the new owners are ambitious then that will be reflected in the teams performance and any changes they make if performances are not up to scratch.

Up the Rockets!

• Like 4

I have to agree with you there David. Please lets see how the season goes before we pass judgement.

I'm struggling to understand why there are so many people complaining here. All I've read on here over the last 5+ years (probably since the the 2007 title winning season actually) is people complaining about what a load of rubbish it was at the club. Out dated, poor teams assembled, jobs for the boys etc. A new promotion has come in and changed a few things us and everyone is up in arms. I've no idea what the relationship was between them and Uncle Len was, but if I remember rightly at the start of last season he was still the man in charge with regards to team building etc, so I can't see how BMR are to blame for last season.

I will always be grateful to Len. He brought my team back to life after 7 long years. But his time was up. BMR haven't even had a chance to run the show their way yet. Lets give them at least ONE season before we say they are good or bad. Reading what Robbo has to say on the website, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 4

Hold on before the old man is canonised, I think two fans brought the team back in 1999 and anther 50 put their hands in their pockets, oh and then approached Len to return to speedway..

• Like 1

Hold on before the old man is canonised, I think two fans brought the team back in 1999 and anther 50 put their hands in their pockets, oh and then approached Len to return to speedway..

Then, if certain people are to believed, he threw them out

Whilst I don't like the idea of doing away with 68 years of tradition the change of colours and logos is surely an attempt to modernise the club, something that supporters have been asking for for ages. I have to say, though, that I am not a fan of the Rockets logo.

I like what Berwick have done. They put out a few race jacket/logo designs and had the supporters vote on their favourite Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

Nice idea Shads, they probably should have done that, but I personally don't blame BMR for incorporating their own colors. As long as they're improving the track, stadium and giving us a decent team to support that's not a top concern...

• Like 1

Nice idea Shads, they probably should have done that, but I personally don't blame BMR for incorporating their own colors. As long as they're improving the track, stadium and giving us a decent team to support that's not a top concern...

I'm not overly fussed about the colour change, I happen to like black, it'll make me look slimmer!

As long as we're still the Rockets, I'm cool with it