Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

While it's great to see the Bandits safe and sound for next season, I can't believe having six foreign riders and a make weight Brit is something to be proud of.

Everyone complains about the same riders being picked for Team GB SWC duty, but if the majority of PL teams continue to field 5 or 6 foreign riders then we're going to fall even further behind the Danes, Poles and Aussies.

I'm not trying to have a dig at Berwick honest, but please let's put the interests of our riders first before it's too late.

But you could say just the same about the EL, I don't think there is any problem with having good riders from the continent riding in our leagues but some promotions seem happy to give second rate foreign riders places in their teams when IMO they should be trying to bring through their own talent, yes it takes longer but if you help bring through a GB rider that has to benefit everyone. I like the idea of having a Brit rider at No7, infact I would've gone further, for example I would've like to have seen any foreign rider signed on an assessed average keep that average until such time they get over that mark but the depth of numbers and quality in our junior ranks isn't there right now to have two NL riders at reserve but I applaud the BSPA for at least trying to bring through riders.

• Like 1

I can't name 3 British heat leaders for any club sadly which is kind of my point.

What I would do is stipulate that in 2017, each PL team should have 3 UK licensed riders with this rising to 4 per team in 2018.

What are the benefits? Hopefully a steady stream of talent making the jump from the NL to the PL which in turn frees up more spaces for novices in the lower league. The public also identify more with local riders (look at Eastbourne and Birmingham).

I'm all for a cosmopolitan league but there has to be a clear strategy and purpose.

Apologies for going off topic.

Unfortunately Britain has no strength in depth and would be unable to come up with your suggestions without diluting the PL to virtually NL standard.I have no doubt it would produce good racing and meetings ,but you would probably have to reduce admission prices to compensate for the standard of product on offer.Speedway in UK has big job on its hands to produce riders that will bring us to the top of the ladder again,probably never IMO.

I can't name 3 British heat leaders for any club sadly which is kind of my point.

What I would do is stipulate that in 2017, each PL team should have 3 UK licensed riders with this rising to 4 per team in 2018.

Questionable if there are even enough Brits who could race a full time schedule to merit that rule, even if there is the supply and demand for Brits would then see some clubs gazumped to the point they would struggle to compete, it would turn mediocre talent into must haves.

As things stand I would assume the league structure is in place to accommodate the financial structure of most PL clubs. The introduction of one Brit at reserve, and the softening of the transition between NL and PL should see an increase in the number of Brits who will be “competitive” if that trend continues possibly in time you would be able to implement rules where sides had to contain a certain number of Brits, but there has to be a better turnover of riders to merit that.

The one thing I would say in Berwicks defence (albeit I appreciate you weren’t attacking Berwick) is that the riders they have signed, eg Pijper, Doolan, Mellgren, Wethers, TJ have, for the most part, treated British Speedway with respect to the extent that they now merit places in this country, they add to the product and are also a decent water mark for young Brits to compare their talents against, and theoretically use as a gauge for progression.

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 3

Team sorted and approved on here. New manager appointed and approved. New directors added, bright outlook ahead.

What in the world are our critical 'fannies' going to find to complain about until March?

You must be delighted, hardly a post to be seen on this thread of late.

Very pleased to have our full team already and looking forward to next season

Very pleased to have our full team already and looking forward to next season

Seems to be the general feeling. There's quite a buzz which is great considering a lot of us thought we were going to see the end of Berwick Speedway.

Big thanks to all the guys that have stepped up to the mark, and to the Promotion for bringing Scott Courtney in as team manager, and for getting a solid team in place so quickly.

Nothing to do apart from look forward to next season!

Edited by bigeddiechek

What a season ticket offer for you guys as well, if only our promotion cared about fans as much. Hopefully the crowds at Berwick will increase and your team do well :t:

• Like 1

From what year is Seb Alden rolling average of 7.37 come from? How many rides and point did he have to get the average? Would be interesting to find out?

From what year is Seb Alden rolling average of 7.37 come from? How many rides and point did he have to get the average? Would be interesting to find out?

Rode 38 matches in 2012 for 7.58 and came back in on that average towards the end of 2013.Assume that's what he finished up at 7.37.That was his stated final average in 2013 green sheets . Edited by Fromafar

It's always fun to drop into the Berwick thread when Dyson24 posts. Tell me, does he use a local dialect? ;)

• Like 1

It's always fun to drop into the Berwick thread when Dyson24 posts. Tell me, does he use a local dialect? ;)

It's a very unique dialect possibly of a quite inbred nature

• Like 1

It's a very unique dialect possibly of a quite inbred nature

I though it was more pre-school.

• Like 1

No definitely not local dialect, seems to be a World of his own with no passport required.

Good entertainment when he posts though, as soon as he does I make a special effort to click onto the Berwick thread to see if I can make head or tail of it! ;)

• Like 3