British Speedway Forum
speedibee

How Many Of You Were Aware Of This ?

And the Dartford crossing I think though I'm not sure.

These people, whoever they are, must be making a fortune out of us. :angry: :angry:

Whether it be Government, Councils or Banks. We, the general Public are being ripped off in an awful lot of cases. :angry: :angry:

K

Wiltshire and Swindon is one of the few areas where they don't have safety cameras because of cost. I was caught in Berkshire doing 35 in a 30, which probably most drivers do. Only 1 in 4 cameras are switched on anyway, its knowing which of the buggers are!

You can only attend 1 course in 2 years, got caught in me white van again about 7 years ago outside Kensington museums in London. The course cost of 80 quid is better than 3 points and 100 quid fine. They have separate courses for the real speedsters. Only 5% of deaths and injuries occur on motorways, the vast majority are on rural roads.

Biggest increase in accidents is motor-cyclists being hit by cars not seeing them.

Best tip for me was only drive in 30m.p.h. limits in 3rd.gear. Suprising the amount of drivers tailgating if you stick to 30 m.p.h. and bombing past schools well over the 20m.p.h. limit.

The course is £100 now, same as the fine but the benefit of the course, apart from not getting points on your license is that it doesn't count as a conviction so doesn't affect your insurance premium.

I did a course a few months ago (caught doing 37mph in a 30 limit). I do think the course was very informative and changes ones attitudes to speed limits.

Edited by E I Addio

K

The course is £100 now, same as the fine but the benefit of the course, apart from not getting points on your license is that it doesn't count as a conviction so doesn't affect your insurance premium.

I did a course a few months ago (caught doing 37mph in a 30 limit). I do think the course was very informative and changes ones attitudes to speed limits.

Perhaps its dearer if you're in London/south-east, 80 quid for the poorer west-country folk!

And the Dartford crossing I think though I'm not sure.

The Dartford crossing was apparently paid for by 2004 but the Government decided the £60 million a year it raises in tolls was better in their pockets than the motorist and kept it as a tax since then.

Perhaps its dearer if you're in London/south-east, 80 quid for the poorer west-country folk!

Hey that's discrimination !

• Like 1

Good lad..have you never reached 61 ;) . My van has a speed limiter of 61..bloody frustrating when I have to drive on the M4/M5 from Swindon to Zummerrzet once a week. But I can get to 65 downhill. It's fitted with a tracking device as well.

My van is unrestricted, but does have a tracker fitted........61? Nah!! Never do that....honest lol

• Like 1

Thats just a great big scam. People were meant to pay an inflation adjusted amount until the cost of the bridge had been recovered. The bridge toll has gone up something like 7% a year and they have been paid for 2.5 times over!

Yes, but the cost of maintaining the Severn bridges is also vast. The first bridge at least carries far more traffic than it was designed for, so the maintenance is never ending.

With respect to the Dartford Crossing, isn't there a plan to build a 3rd (or 4th depending on how you count) crossing?

.With respect to the Dartford Crossing, isn't there a plan to build a 3rd (or 4th depending on how you count) crossing?

There are proposal for a further Lower Thames crossing somewhere but no definite plans yet. They have however got rid of the toll booths at Dartford Crossing and collect tolls by number plate recognition which speeds traffic flow up and are making improvements to the approach roads. Anyone crossing needs to remember to pay online eg Poole fans travelling to Lakeside.

Meanwhile the 40 year old ferries at Woolwich are completely clapped out, and hardly a week goes by without at least one of them being out of action with "technical problems" but no sign of any money to replace them or build a tunnel/bridge there.

These people, whoever they are, must be making a fortune out of us. :angry: :angry:

Whether it be Government, Councils or Banks. We, the general Public are being ripped off in an awful lot of cases. :angry: :angry:

I recently calculated that 88p out of every £1 I earn goes back to the government via one tax or another (income, NI, VAT, fuel duty, beer duty, insurance tax, airport tax etc)

this got me wound up seeing the gov take some of my beer money I had to go for a pint :drink: .then I realised how much the gov took of my money for that pint that it wound me up and I had to have another pint :drink: .you can guess the rest :wink:

• Like 3

I recently calculated that 88p out of every £1 I earn goes back to the government via one tax or another (income, NI, VAT, fuel duty, beer duty, insurance tax, airport tax etc)

Yep, pretty much how it works! When I worked it out a few years ago I was horrified.

I certainly wasn'rt aware that as i was going down dual cariageways , driving to speedway meetings in a van @70 mph I was actually breaKING the speed limit !!spped_zpsxvaiuv35.jpg

and if it's your employers van... a taxable benefit :P:wink:

and if it's your employers van... a taxable benefit :P:wink:

Only if you use it privately...our drivers are not allowed to so don't pay tax

I knew about the 60 limit on dual carriageways,but thought it was 60 on motorways as well :oops:

I knew about the 60 limit on dual carriageways,but thought it was 60 on motorways as well :oops:

Don't worry Baldy you can put your foot down now and do exactly 77 m.p.h(on the speedo) now like what I does :approve:

K

I wonder how long before insurance companies . start asking if youv'e been on a speed awareness course ? then they can still increase the premium