British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Puma23

Speedway in Latin America

Hello

I looke for something results or information about speedway in Latin America.

Some british and american riders started in 1930-34 in Latin America.

Bob Harnson and Frank Varey from Belle Vue, Frank Goulden from Southampton, Dick Wise from Adelaide, Buzz Hibberd from NSW, Sprouts Elder (USA), Max Grosskreutz from Queensland, Roberto Sigrand, Arthur and Hubert Jarvis, Ivor Creek and Dusty Haigh.

The tracks they raced on were at River Plate and Huracon in Buenos Aires and, Montevideo in Uruguay.

American rider Robert Sigrand (Roland Sigrando) won Argentina Championship in 1931.

Others riders started in Mexico City for a series of eighteen races (1931-1934).

Those riders started in Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay and maybe in others countries as Brasil, Paraguay.

Argentinian Champions:

1.Roland Sigrando (Roberto Sigrand) (USA)

1.Juan Pagano

1932-1933

???

1.Juan Pagano

???

1.Juan Salatino

1.Juan Salatino

1.Juan Salatino

1939-1955

???

1.Julio Zecchi (Pista Roja)

1957-1961

???

1.Edgar Castellanos (Pista Roja)

1963-1982

???

Do you have more information ??

Speedway in Argentina is ticking over with a National Championships being contested at about 5-6 tracks by about 20 riders.

Results for this championships are regularly in the speedway star.

Italian rider Armando Castagna has been out to Argentina many times including this winter I believe. Last year an Englishman - East Anglian Conference League rider Dean Garrod raced in the Argentinian Champs.

Another Latin American Country that has staged speedway which most people would be unaware of is Venezula. My old friend the late great Geoff Pymar (ex Norwich Stars amongst many others in 30 year career) another East Anglian along with a few other British League riders went out there in the 1950's, built temporary tracks and raced a series of meetings.

I think you'll find that Montivideo harbour is at the mouth of the River Plate in Uruguy. This was the scene of the sinking of the German pocket battleship "Graf Spee", at the Battle of the River Plate.

i am gonna stay silent on this one.. :neutral: