British Speedway Forum
Super Blue

Ipswich V Edinburgh Lcsf 3-9-15 @ 7-30pm

Dont think the Monarchs were lucky myself.

They had done enough in the first few heats and then coasted IMO.

A fall an EF and only having 1 bike are not bad luck.

I think had the lead been less there was enough in hand for the Monarchs to have upped their game to score what was needed.

Second best in a 2 horse race - full stop.

• Like 3

To be honest Gavan I don't think we would have won. The Edinburgh riders clearly backed off once they had won. I also don't like it when people say if. It happened so if means nothing. The only thing that should be asked is why did we agree to the away meeting when key riders were missing.

Well done Edinburgh. The best team won over the 2 legs

"The Edinburgh riders backed off" What the hell are you talking about. Why should they back off, they are racing for money

If you ask a rider what would you prefer a 15 point maximum in a losing team or scoring 1 point in a winning team. What do you think they would say?

The riders earn money by scoring points not by winning leagues and cups

Edited by mickthemuppet

Yes of course they backed off.

Got another semi final tomorrow night plus the playoffs plus Smiler in the PLRC.

Obviously they weren't going to take unnecessary risks especially in the last half of the meeting.

Heaven knows what Gavan is drinking or smoking.

Isn't it strange that you pick what I say in my post and not the above one that also says about riders coasting. Sounds like you have a grudge. Chill out mick.

Edited by baldyman

Having had the misfortune of witnessing the debacle up in chilly Jockoland a fortnight ago, my only thoughts are that the Ipswich management were hoodwinked into agreeing to that date. Surely this competition should have been put to bed a couple of months ago. Now I might be wide of the mark here........but it appears that the management of our Celtic brethren may well have more influence at the 'top table' than ours. That's bad...............not impressed!!

• Like 1

Having had the misfortune of witnessing the debacle up in chilly Jockoland a fortnight ago, my only thoughts are that the Ipswich management were hoodwinked into agreeing to that date. Surely this competition should have been put to bed a couple of months ago. Now I might be wide of the mark here........but it appears that the management of our Celtic brethren may well have more influence at the 'top table' than ours. That's bad...............not impressed!!

I doubt you'll get many arguments there. But they had decided to have this competition done early this season, but the Northern group didn't get finished on time, and as usual in this hapless sport, nobody did anything about it. When I asked why we had a blank week 3 Months ago, I was told it was reserved for the league cup semi's. But only CL and the menial promoters and most supporters wanted this, so it had no chance from the start, well certainly not under the current regime.

Takes two sides to reach an agreement - e.g. over fixture dates.

What excuse are folk going to use when Mr. Harkess stands down from his BSPA chairmanship but Monarchs keep winning?

But back to the meeting.......

King - rode well / looked fast and unbeatable.

Covatti - likewise after his first ride.

Tungate - I assume he didn't have his Polish engine?

Heeps/Manzares/Neilsen - al pretty poor.

At least Manzares left the fences intact this time - does he really only have 1 bike?

Morris - scored well but I don't know how.

Kaiser Kevin - best of our bunch.

The Fish - steady but slow (didn't have his best engine apparently).

Smiler - rode well in his first 3 but I think the bumpy track then had an effect on his hand.

Sedgy - steady in his first couple / miles off the pace in his next two.

Erik - poor night.

Rob - not his best night / gated well a couple of times but couldn't keep it.

Cleggy - rode better than he scored / tried some interesting lines to no great effect.

Crowd looked a lot lower than I would have expected.

Racing was pretty poor throughout - maybe the bumps don't help but King seemed to miss them all.

But most probably because it was expected to be a nothing match - Cookie's absence made the aggregate score a fair bit closer - there was no tension at all.

What have you got against Ashley Morris, he's better than your two reserves as proved last night. He has done more than expected of him since he replaced Ritchie Hawkins and from this years team all I would retain are Danny, Nico & Ashley for next years team.

As for Gino, he has blown 2 engines in last weeks match, then another last night which would probably explain why he only had 1. Maybe as he is not riding over here next year and our season is probably over now, he doesn't feel the need to spend money on a new engines.

Takes two sides to reach an agreement - e.g. over fixture dates.

What excuse are folk going to use when Mr. Harkess stands down from his BSPA chairmanship but Monarchs keep winning?

But back to the meeting.......

King - rode well / looked fast and unbeatable.

Covatti - likewise after his first ride.

Tungate - I assume he didn't have his Polish engine?

Heeps/Manzares/Neilsen - al pretty poor.

At least Manzares left the fences intact this time - does he really only have 1 bike?

Morris - scored well but I don't know how.

Kaiser Kevin - best of our bunch.

The Fish - steady but slow (didn't have his best engine apparently).

Smiler - rode well in his first 3 but I think the bumpy track then had an effect on his hand.

Sedgy - steady in his first couple / miles off the pace in his next two.

Erik - poor night.

Rob - not his best night / gated well a couple of times but couldn't keep it.

Cleggy - rode better than he scored / tried some interesting lines to no great effect.

Crowd looked a lot lower than I would have expected.

Racing was pretty poor throughout - maybe the bumps don't help but King seemed to miss them all.

But most probably because it was expected to be a nothing match - Cookie's absence made the aggregate score a fair bit closer - there was no tension at all.

At the end of the day as alot of us had already said damage was done up at your place Scotsman.

If the score at your place was alot closer do you think that Cook would have made it off his sick bed ??

Yes it does take both sides to agree a date for the 1st leg and this is not a dig at your promotion far from it . I'm sure both promotions would have put dates forward for when they could race . If our promotion want to race happy in the knowledge that our no1 would be missing then great thats up to them .

Back to last night , yes i think from halfway the monarchs didn't push as hard as they could but with a healthy lead they didn't have to . They have alot more meetings ahead of them another semi final tonight i think so why would you go chasing riders and running the risk of coming off and damaging them selves or their bikes knowing that the agg score was never going to be troubled . Common sense i say yes they get paid for points on the board but im sure the Edinburgh promotion were more than happy with last nights performance from their riders Agg score protected and all riders safe and sound ready to ride tonight .

• Like 2

Very good sensible post Pob.

But some were suggesting the Edinburgh promotion were pulling a fast one, aided by Alex Harkess position!!

Hard call whether Cookie would have risked it if it had been closer.

He probably wouldn't have scored as normal and it was probably expected that The Fish would have scored a few more given the good form he has been in recently, so he probably would still have given it a miss.

Very good sensible post Pob.

But some were suggesting the Edinburgh promotion were pulling a fast one, aided by Alex Harkess position!!

Hard call whether Cookie would have risked it if it had been closer.

He probably wouldn't have scored as normal and it was probably expected that The Fish would have scored a few more given the good form he has been in recently, so he probably would still have given it a miss

People will always have an opinion of things same will see things in a different light to other but that's human nature .

Pulling a fast one don't know wont't comment on that but still both sides still have to say yes to agree on a date . If Ipswich knew they were going to be missing King they can say NO its not a rude word . It might in there eyes been the correct choice at the time and the other dates that could be used as no one could have foreseen that they would also be missing Nico and Gino on the night .

Crowd was lower than normal but was expected as...

1. Was a 'nothing' meeting really. Not expected to pull back the 22 points.

2. Season tickets not valid

3. Kids back to school and last week dragged on for ages.

No meeting next week as play offs pencilled in.. but cut off was moved back.

See ya in march then..... 5 months away.. think it be a long winter with many changes....

Not sure Danny and Covatti would have made much difference in the first leg anyway....look at the league match. King does not have a good record at our place anyway and Lawson scored well despite missing his first ride. We can guess to and fro.....

Must say though our record at Foxhole has improved markedly since ippo removed the gas heater from the wall in the refs room!!

Not sure Danny and Covatti would have made much difference in the first leg anyway....look at the league match. King does not have a good record at our place anyway and Lawson scored well despite missing his first ride. We can guess to and fro.....

Must say though our record at Foxhole has improved markedly since ippo removed the gas heater from the wall in the refs room!!

Correction.............."the electric heater from the wall in the changing room" and you're right, you have.

Cookie puts his moto-cross skills to good use.